Save game data corruption

For general topics about Urban Assault and any Urban Assault-related topic that doesn't fit anywhere else. If you're not sure, it probably goes in here.
Post Reply
ReichsRitter
Firefly
Firefly
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun May 03, 2020 3:05 am
Location: Bonn, Germany

Save game data corruption

Post by ReichsRitter » Mon May 25, 2020 3:50 pm

Hello, I'm hoping that someone could help me with a particular issue that I'm having with the game. Recently I've built my dedicated retro PC exclusively to play classic games, and since Urban Assault is my childhood favourite that I still enjoy to this day, I decided to give it a go on this machine.

The problem I'm facing now is that occasionally, my savegame data seems to get corrupt for some reasons. I've installed the game from the original retail CD (German version) that I own, using the official installer found inside but the files are installed at a different location than the default path. I have also installed MD and applied the helicopter patch, but I'm only playing the original campaign at the moment.

I suppose that there might be an error in my current registry or the file integrity which causes this problem. Would removing the entire game files and re-installing everything from the scratch might help? Or is there some important thing I'm missing here? I tend to run the game from both the directory where the game is installed as well as using the shortcuts on the desktop, if that's relevant.

I would appreciate any input or help on this. Thanks!

User avatar
CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 2 Skorpio (Global Moderator)
Turantul 2 Skorpio (Global Moderator)
Posts: 558
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:00 pm
Location: Schloss Charlottenburg...?

Re: Save game data corruption

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Mon May 25, 2020 5:02 pm

Hello ReichsRitter, welcome to the Stoudson Corporation! (I must say, I really like your username! :D )

While the savegame data corruption in UA is not a very common issue, when it happens there could be various reasons for it. Before we could go deeper, let us check a few essential things first.

Generally, corrupted or broken savegame data will most likely cause the game to crash. So could you replicate this process, and post the entire log entries recorded within 'ypa_log,txt'; the file which can be found inside ENV folder of your Urban Assault directory? This will provide the basis for the definitive solution.


I'm afraid that I may come off as presumptive with this conjecture, but have you ever ran and saved the game using both UA.exe and Ua_xp.exe? Since you wrote that you were occasionally running the game from its own directory, it might be possible to confuse between these two executables.

There is a unique keyword called 'is_user_robo' that is exclusively used and generated by Ua_xp.exe when the game is saved on it; and since the original UA.exe cannot interpret this keyword, it will cause a fatal error when parsing the saved level via UA.exe.

More Information:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1828&start=30#p18350

If this is the case, there will be a trace left in ypa_log.txt indicating the parsing error. You may either run the game through Ua_xp.exe and load the game, or manually edit the savegame file to remove these keywords generated under all host station entries in the savegame data.
;------------------------
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;

„ Helfen - Wehren - Heilen “
Image
Special thanks to CERNBox!

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I have absolutely no affiliation whatsoever with that!

ReichsRitter
Firefly
Firefly
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun May 03, 2020 3:05 am
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: Save game data corruption

Post by ReichsRitter » Mon May 25, 2020 9:33 pm

Thank you Charlotte for your detailed answer. You were totally right, I've been casually running the game through both UA.exe and ua_xp.exe without really paying attention to it. Like you said, the game saved under ua_xp.exe does not seem to work when loaded with UA.exe.

Following your suggestions, I managed to fix it by manually opening the savegame file and removing those keywords found in there. Now the saved games are working perfectly, and since I'm fully aware of the cause now, there won't be a mistake like this anymore. Thanks again.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests