Unit speech missing and Xpansion installer

For those of us who are curious and like to poke around in the game's data files and scripts as well as glitching. Caters to anything from unit/building stats to level data to telling how to glitch and stories of game errors.
BoxTop
Firefly
Firefly

Unit speech missing and Xpansion installer

Post by BoxTop » Sat May 09, 2020 2:21 pm

Just got this working (used the version from myabandonware) and noticed that the unit speech is absent. There seems to be no data in the wav files found in the LANGUAGE folder. Anyone had this issue and know how to fix?

Also...I've not been able to get the expansion to install. It opens, works for a bit, and then nothing. I tried task manager and noticed it was running a process called "32-bit Setup Launcher" each time I try running it but nothing else happens. Is this a known issue?

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 2 Skorpio (Global Moderator)

Re: Unit speech missing and Xpansion installer

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Sat May 09, 2020 3:20 pm

Hello BoxTop, welcome to the forums!

There are many UA files found on the internet, and unfortunately a good majority of them are unreliable and incomplete. May I suggest getting rid of the defective UA files you've downloaded from another website, and instead try using the authentic UA disk image files from our FTP repository?

Download .mdf
Download .mds

EDIT: There seems to be a problem with the FTP download at the moment, sorry for the inconvenience.

These are the authentic game files with full retail disk data. The *.mds and *.mds formats are used to support the functionality of the original mixed-mode CD soundtracks as well. Please download both files and then emulate the UASSAULT.mds file with a disk emulator. There will be an official installer inside of it.

For the expansion pack, you must have the original Urban Assault installed on your machine with full registry. The UA registry entries are created only when the game is installed via official installer. Also, I recommend running the expansion pack installer with the backward compatibility settings as well as with administrator rights.
;------------------------
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;

„ Helfen - Wehren - Heilen “
Special thanks to CERNBox!

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I have absolutely no affiliation whatsoever with that!

CharlotteLabyrinth

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Sat May 09, 2020 3:25 pm

It seems like the FTP files are not working properly right now. I'll have to check what's going on!
;
;

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I have absolutely no affiliation whatsoever with that!

BoxTop
Firefly
Firefly

Post by BoxTop » Sat May 09, 2020 3:30 pm

Thanks! Is that a particular emulator you would recommend? I've not tried these before.

CharlotteLabyrinth

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Sat May 09, 2020 3:40 pm

BoxTop wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 3:30 pm
Thanks! Is that a particular emulator you would recommend? I've not tried these before.
I personally suggest Daemon Tools or WinCDEmu for CD emulation. Also, I'm terribly sorry for the inconvenience. For some reason, it appears that the two files I linked above are broken at the moment.

If downloading those two files is working fine for you, then please disregard my messages here. If downloads for those files are not working properly, then I suggest using this *.iso file for the time being.

Download .ISO

I believe there is no big difference in terms of contents and functionality with this file. Please let me know if you have further problems!
;
;

BoxTop
Firefly
Firefly

Post by BoxTop » Sat May 09, 2020 4:04 pm

I've not been able to access either of the previous files but the .iso is working well for me. Thanks!

BoxTop
Firefly
Firefly

Post by BoxTop » Sat May 09, 2020 6:08 pm

I've been trying to install this from the ISO and it seems to be freezing every time I start the install or just thinks that I have already installed it.

CharlotteLabyrinth

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Sun May 10, 2020 1:50 am

Does it freeze at the point where the installer begins to copy files?

Let us check a few things first:
  • Make sure the game files you've downloaded from the other website are thoroughly removed first. If the game was installed from its own installer, then those game files must be removed through the installer first used as well.
  • Open Registry Editor by running 'regedit', then navigate to the following path:

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft Games
    (This is for x64; for x86, please omit the 'WOW6432Node' in the path.)

If there is any 'Urban Assault' entry present in this location, delete it completely and run the installer again.
  • Try installing the game into different directories, i.e. "C:\Urban Assault". The default installation path ("Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Urban Assault") is generally protected by UAC, which may complicate the file writing process.
  • Running the installer with backward compatibility settings (Windows XP is recommended) and with administrator rights might be helpful.

If all else fails: Technically, it is possible to copy the full game files directly from CD. Simply copy the whole 'GAME' folder found inside the disk image file, and paste it into somewhere you can play the game.

However, doing so will not create the relevant registry entries for UA. In which case the Metropolis Dawn expansion files must be copied manually from the expansion package, as well as the shortcuts should be created manually as well.

If you are experiencing technical issues during the gameplay, I highly recommend checking this troubleshooting article on our wiki page:
https://wiki.metropolisdawn.com/windows_tweaks
;
;

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Sun May 10, 2020 6:31 pm

The MDF/MDS files are working again as well as all of the files now. The ISO is the best for installing and contains everything but the music.

If you're not interested in multiplayer then you can also try out UA Source. That is the most stable single player option for playing the game.

https://files.metropolisdawn.com/game/U ... Source.rar

BoxTop
Firefly
Firefly

Post by BoxTop » Sun May 10, 2020 8:02 pm

It does appear to be freezing when it beings to copy files (folders are created). I tried the other steps you outlined and none of them worked. I was able to get the game to run by copying the files from the ISO but the graphics are a mess.

The MDF/MDS files are still not working for me either.