Unconquerable Sectors

For those of us who are curious and like to poke around in the game's data files and scripts as well as glitching. Caters to anything from unit/building stats to level data to telling how to glitch and stories of game errors.
CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 2 Skorpio (Global Moderator)

Unconquerable Sectors

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:00 pm

I've only briefly tested this, so please correct any mistakes and feel free to add more information.

Theory: Sectors that are both indestructible and have 100% resistance value seem to be unconquerable.

The major examples are sector numbers 27 (Hex: 1B) and 53 (Hex: 35) in SET 5, whose owner cannot be changed with any methods due to how they are scripted in the sector definition file.

Making the sectors destructible or setting their resistance values below 100% seem to rectify this issue. This thread will probably list all the sectors with such properties in future. I've only tested with one big sectors so far, not the sectors with 3x3 subsectors.

Related:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1840#p18250
;------------------------
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;

„ Helfen - Wehren - Heilen “
Special thanks to CERNBox!

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I have absolutely no affiliation whatsoever with that!

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Re: Unconquerable Sectors

Post by Ormu » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:02 pm

Those two sectors (hex 1B and 35) are indeed unconquerable. But did you mean to say that the sub-sector must be destructible while having 100% armor? Because that's how these sectors are defined.

Here are the definitions, starting from section 3, then 2 and 1:

Code: Select all

27  1  5   1     46                                   ;GS BERG 1 STR N-S

241 241 241 241 1       ; 46  GS BERG 1

GS_BERG1.base  skeleton/GS_BERG1.sklt 0 121 100   0  ; 241

Code: Select all

53  1  5   1   125                                    ;GS BERG2 STR O-W

242 242 242 242 1       ;125  GS BERG 2

GS_BERG2.base  skeleton/GS_BERG2.sklt 0 121 100   0  ; 242
Perhaps the destructible/indestructible flag in the sub-sector definition was meant to be set to 0 specifically with sectors that have 100% armor...?

While this might be an useful gimmick for some modders, I think I'll add this to the bug list as a content bug as this may confuse players.

edit: I did another quick test: If all sub-sectors of a 3x3 sector are destructible and have 100% armor, the sector seems to be unconquerable. But if there are other sub-sectors that do not have these properties, the sector can be conquered.
Im in ur base, stalkin ur hoststation

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:34 pm

I did a search through all sectors of sets 1 to 6 and it seems that these two are the only sectors that have this bug.

The search conditions were:
-- if any sub-sector is indestructible, the sector can be conquered
-- if the destruction sequnce of any sub-sector can progress to the second model (= first model has less than 100% armor), the sector can be conquered
-- otherwise the sector cannot be conquered

I'm not yet sure if this bug can occur when the destruction sequence can progress to the second model but not to the third model. Checking the source code might be useful...

I found another minor bug which doesn't seem to cause any problems - the sub-sector model 32 of set 3 has a malformed destruction effects definition. There's an extra number in the effect list. This model belongs to the building with the "insane in the membrane" text and it's used in sub-sector 12. This sub-sector is used in multiple sectors.

The game does not crash when this sub-sector is destroyed and nothing is printed to ypa_log either. If the bug is fixed (remove the second number from the effect list, it's 5), the building seems to produce more fragments during destruction but it's not very easy to notice.
Im in ur base, stalkin ur hoststation

CharlotteLabyrinth

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:32 am

Oh yes, I was indeed referring to the sub-sector. I simply wrote sectors because those two bugged sectors consist of only one large object instead multiple sub-sector objects. Also, many thanks for further investigating this matter. It was a very informative read.

How about the sectors that usually require multiple hits on each sub-sector object to capture? Has anyone tested what is the exact criteria to be classified as one? In my experience, these sectors usually contain eight to nine sub-sector objects with armour values (and destruction sequences?) in them.
;
;

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I have absolutely no affiliation whatsoever with that!

CharlotteLabyrinth

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Fri May 01, 2020 8:25 pm

It appears that SET5 is indeed the only set which has a few problems with the sector resistance values.

Aside from the sectors 1B and 35, there are also several street type sectors in SET5 which many units have some problems with capturing, since some of the subsectors have the abovementioned resistance issues.

The subsectors 126 to 132 (road models 243-249) have this problem.

Subsector 133 (electricity pylon) also has a little issue with its last destruction sequence (model 252) assigned with both 100 armour value as well as set to indestructible. But it doesn't seem to affect sector capturing as much since it goes through at least two destruction sequences before the final phase.

With many of these sectors having full nine subsectors with resistance values, units will circulate between each subsector target when attacking these sectors. The problem occurs when they are attacking one of the subsectors with the 100 resistance value, which they will constantly attack on and get stuck in a loop.

This results in some AI units with less powerful weapons keep attacking on the same invulnerable subsector targets even if it doesn't help with capturing the sector. Manually attacking the other vulnerable subsectors in the same sector can solve the problem, but not perfectly especially when the units are under AI control.
;
;