Can't see each other for Multiplayer LAN game

For general topics about Urban Assault and any Urban Assault-related topic that doesn't fit anywhere else. If you're not sure, it probably goes in here.
ThomasMX
Firefly
Firefly

Can't see each other for Multiplayer LAN game

Post by ThomasMX » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:10 pm

Hi All!

We recently wanted to play a multiplayer LAN game, however we don't see eachothers' server listed after selecting "tcp" mode.
- We have tried with two windows 10 machines (didn't work). Then also tried with one windows 10 and a windows 7 one. We also tried two windows 98s in virtualbox :D .
- We have activated DirectPlay component in windows settings for the win 10 machines. On windows 7 we don't see such option, we think it is enabled by default. No proper installer found on the internet.
- Firewalls are OFF.
- We tried by specifying the IP address directly and also by leaving ti blank to "scan".

Does anyone have an idea what we might be doing wrong?

ThomasMX
Firefly
Firefly

Re: Can't see each other for Multiplayer LAN game

Post by ThomasMX » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:26 pm

I will reply my own question after figuring out the solution. We solved this by using the GameRanger application.

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:10 pm

Hello and welcome, ThomasMX!

We have a dedicated article on our community wiki for the basic setup of multiplayer. Regarding TCP/IP connection issues, you may find this page quite helpful:
https://wiki.metropolisdawn.com/multipl ... rnet_tcpip

Normally, different Windows versions shouldn't cause such a issue. Provided that firewalls are fully disabled and DirectPlay components are configured correctly, please check if the following ports are opened accordingly:
The following ports must be available for incoming connections:

47624 - DirectPlay 7 initial connection
2300-2400 - DirectPlay data connections. The entire range should be available.

Due to the nature of DirectPlay, all players must have these ports forwarded, not just the host.

If port forwarding is unavailable or not feasible for some reason, other methods using third-party software such as Hamachi or GameRanger can be used; they require minimal configurations since many procedures are automated, but are also known to be rather unstable and less reliable.

I'm happy to hear that you were able to solve your problem through GameRanger application! It would be greatly appreciated if you could find a solution to the problem and let us be informed about it. Which will be a valuable addition to our knowledge base.
;--------------------------------------------------
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;
;--------------------------------------------------
„ Helfen - Wehren - Heilen “

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:29 pm

ThomasMX wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:10 pm
We recently wanted to play a multiplayer LAN game, however we don't see eachothers' server listed after selecting "tcp" mode.
Hi Thomas, Are you using the original UA EXE/game or Zidane's Open UA EXE?

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:36 pm

If GameRanger works, using it is possible of course. But I believe that UA multiplayer should work on Windows 10 without GameRanger. I haven't tried it so I don't know if there are unknown flaws in the Windows 10 DirectPlay implementation, but I don't think so.

It's important that everyone uses the same game executable (e.g. UA.exe or UA_xp.exe). Otherwise they will not see each other.

Port forwarding is not needed inside a typical local network but the firewall of each computer must allow UA-related traffic of course. In addition to the game itself, the DirectPlay Helper (dplaysvr.exe or something) must be allowed. Instead of completely turning off the firewall, it's a better idea to create proper rules. Most software firewalls should ask the user when an unknown application tries to create a connection.

On the other hand, some routers may restrict traffic between computers in a local network. Such restrictions may be used to improve the security of guest networks. Checking your router settings might be useful.
Im in ur base, stalkin ur hoststation

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:54 am

I have also considered setting up a Wireguard server for UA multiplayer now that the windows app is released, the setup would be pretty straightforward I believe. I may hop back on discord if I get enough time and ask for some helpers.