Language modding

For those of us who are curious and like to poke around in the game's data files and scripts as well as glitching. Caters to anything from unit/building stats to level data to telling how to glitch and stories of game errors.
ls_52
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Language modding

Post by ls_52 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:29 am

Hi guys! I think I didn't write anything since 2016, but I found the perfect excuse for doing it (Again, sorry for my english).
Like everyone here, I am one who enjoy playing UA, but there is something that I wanted to see for a long time in UA (like a fetish :oops: :lol: ) but no one did it and it is a Spanish menu and voices modding.
Yesterday, I had enough time to explore a bit and I think is not so hard to do, so I can try to do it myself.

- For help section, this is easy.
- For text in-game and buttons, I saw almost all these texts in Language.dll, so recompiling again with spanish text should be enough (I'll find out how to recompilate).
- For voices, in speech folder are every sounds for voices units, 11025 Hz, 88 kbps, mono. By keeping the same file name, I can put any sound that i want. The only trouble that I found here is that the most of the files are saying things that I can not understand (I speek english, but.... it's a shame. Many years in academies and not able to understand a helling audio from UA :lol: ).

May be somebody tried to do something like that in the past and it was impossible to reach for him. You guys have more experience than me, so if you couldn't, I neither, but I would like to try it.

So, here is the question, and I know what I'm going to ask is a hard task. Can anybody here publish a text file or something like that showing the file name (from speech folder, for example, 11131.wav) and what is saying in that audio? I know is a tedious task.

Truly, I would like to do this even in .mov files, but it is harder. Separating voice and music is not easy, but what i could do is to add subtitles. Are there (perhaps in help section) any document that is written what is said in .mov files?

Please, tell me what you think about these micro-project :lol:. I know other people like me would like a translated UA.

Have a nice day, you guys!!

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Re: Language modding

Post by Ormu » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:30 pm

Unit voiceovers can be tricky to understand because the voices are not very clear and they contain plenty of military radio slang. Some discussion can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=574

The training mission announcements are easier.

Movies are also easier to understand, but as you said, separating the background music from the spoken voice is not simple. Some professional audio software might be able to do that but the result may still not be very good. Subtitles can be added of course.

I can try to write out the movies and the training missions at some point...
Im in ur base, stalkin ur hoststation

ls_52
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by ls_52 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:01 pm

Thank you Ormu for the early answer. The training and factions movies are easy to translate, but there are a few words that I couldn't find out. I attached a .txt file with the voices to text.
Until now (and I started yesterday) I have written all factions and the intro mov dialogs, but as i said before, there are some words that i can not understand (I know....it's a shame :x ). Can you check the txt file and help me to find out these words?

On the other hand, for the unit voices... I didn't know even you guys already have several troubles to figure out what is said in the voiceovers. I think the only thing I can do is to translate them by the situation context and the background sounds like rolling tank...well... i'll find out how to do that.

Again, thank you very much for your help.
Attachments
translate.txt
(5.19 KiB) Downloaded 18 times

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:01 pm

The file names in this repository may be very helpful for you:
https://github.com/Metastruct/garrysmod ... banassault

ls_52
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by ls_52 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:52 am

Wow!! That's just what i was looking for. Thank you GoldStar! When I have some advances, I'll post it here ;)

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:05 pm

Hello ls_52, I have revised and newly attached 'translate.txt' file of yours with all the miscellaneous transcript errors fixed inside.

Aside from occasional typos & grammatical/vocabulary mistakes, I'd say they were quite accurate. The host station voice in the UA movies has a very distinctive UK accent, maybe that's why you couldn't hear them so well. ;)

Regarding voiceover files, composing a full list of individual radio quotes would be an extremely rigorous and time-consuming task as you have stated.

Urban Assault was officially translated and released in following languages: English, French, German, and Japanese. So the stylistic or characteristic decisions made by these different localisation departments might have taken precedence over the original authenticity.

But I believe you're looking for the standard (English) version of the game. For English unit voiceovers, I believe I could recognise them all; including some of those relatively obscure military jargons used. So if necessary, I could transcribe them.

But currently, my academic schedule is very busy and I do not have time to dedicate myself on such lengthy and tedious work of making a full list of them. Instead, it would be more convenient if you could simply provide us with the numbers of voiceover files which you are curious about. :)

(Perhaps, someday I may compose a comprehensive list of voiceover transcript... but definitely not now.)
Attachments
translate.txt
Revision
(5.22 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
;--------------------------------------------------
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;
„ Helfen - Wehren - Heilen “

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!

ls_52
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by ls_52 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:14 pm

CharlotteLabyrinth wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:05 pm
Hello ls_52, I have revised and newly attached 'translate.txt' file of yours with all the miscellaneous transcript errors fixed inside.

Aside from occasional typos & grammatical/vocabulary mistakes, I'd say they were quite accurate. The host station voice in the UA movies has a very distinctive UK accent, maybe that's why you couldn't hear them so well. ;)

Regarding voiceover files, composing a full list of individual radio quotes would be an extremely rigorous and time-consuming task as you have stated.

Urban Assault was officially translated and released in following languages: English, French, German, and Japanese. So the stylistic or characteristic decisions made by these different localisation departments might have taken precedence over the original authenticity.

But I believe you're looking for the standard (English) version of the game. For English unit voiceovers, I believe I could recognise them all; including some of those relatively obscure military jargons used. So if necessary, I could transcribe them.

But currently, my academic schedule is very busy and I do not have time to dedicate myself on such lengthy and tedious work of making a full list of them. Instead, it would be more convenient if you could simply provide us with the numbers of voiceover files which you are curious about. :)

(Perhaps, someday I may compose a comprehensive list of voiceover transcript... but definitely not now.)
Once I sent the .txt file, I realized the grammatical mistakes I made. But there were other words that I couldn't even understand. I checked the new .txt and this is fantastic! Thanks CharlotteLabyrinth!

On the voiceovers, GoldFish provided me with a repository where most of them are with their meaning, this definitely reduces the amount of voiceovers that I can't understand. So tomorrow I will make a list with them.

I am working and studying too, so I know that sacrifice very well. Do not worry! ;)

Thank you very much for your support guys!

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:40 pm

I'm glad it helped! I took a quick glance over the github repository, and while it seems to contain only a fraction of voiceover lines used in the game, the list looked quite fine overall.

But I've spotted some errors in there -- in a couple lines, a term 'outfit check' is used. However, this is incorrect and should be corrected to 'alpha check'. The term 'air unit requesting alpha check' has practically identical meaning as 'air unit requesting bearing and range' (angle and distance input for aircraft vectoring).

There's also some small typos, such as 'abourne' which should be obviously corrected to 'airborne'. At any time, please let us know if you have any further questions.
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;
„ Helfen - Wehren - Heilen “

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!

ls_52
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by ls_52 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:07 pm

This is a list with that vioceovers that i cannot understand. There are less than I expected:

- 11262.wav (tank squad dead): I don't understand anything.
- 13111.wav: "¿....? and loaded"
- 14111.wav: "¿access to low go?" It makes any sense?
- 14261.wav: "situation no joy, heli squad........" i could see that you guys have doubts too.
- 14262.wav: Is he saying something like "we're gonna die"?
- 15411.wav: "...... contact envolved"
- 17122.wav: Supposedly, it says: "air unit requests continue", but I think 'continue' is not the word....
- 17262.wav: "i can't track them, it's....."

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:22 am

I'm pretty sure:
13111.wav Locked and loaded
14111.wav All systems are go
15411.wav We ave unknown contact, inbound

Best Guess:
14261.wav situation no joy, heli squad incoming, may day