Known bugs of UA

For those of us who are curious and like to poke around in the game's data files and scripts as well as glitching. Caters to anything from unit/building stats to level data to telling how to glitch and stories of game errors.
CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 2 Skorpio (Global Moderator)

Re: Known bugs of UA

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:55 pm

I think the bug where you can (whether accidentally or deliberately) create vehicles below the ground should be added here too. Which usually happens when players are attempting to create multiple units at a close proximity near the ground surfaces. It seems to happen more easily around uneven surfaces.
;--------------------------------------------------
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;

„ Helfen - Wehren - Heilen “

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I have absolutely no affiliation whatsoever with that!

Bronsteijn24K
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Bronsteijn24K » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:50 am

found another bug though not sure if its in the original. When you send a squad of tanks to a sector, they follow the path made for them. However if the squad leader gets destroyed and a new leader is assigned all the remaining tanks ignore the path and immediately head straight in the direction of the final point in the path. This leads to many tanks getting stuck at walls.

CharlotteLabyrinth

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:08 pm

Bronsteijn24K wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:50 am
found another bug though not sure if its in the original. When you send a squad of tanks to a sector, they follow the path made for them. However if the squad leader gets destroyed and a new leader is assigned all the remaining tanks ignore the path and immediately head straight in the direction of the final point in the path. This leads to many tanks getting stuck at walls.
This bug does not exist in the original game. The tank pathfinding algorithm in UA:Source is different from the original UA.

Zidane's workaround to circumvent a particular crashing problem in older versions of UA:Source suggests its base algorithm for tank pathfinding is not strictly identical to the original UA.

More Info:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1577&start=40#p16779

Zidane wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:04 pm
Ormu wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:53 pm
-- radius_<type> is ignored: This may be an inteded decision made by the developers but I added it anyway because it has confused modders throughout the years.
It's 110% error in source code and it's luck that it's not produce memory corruption.
Interesting. Thank you very much for the clarification as usual! I wonder if it would prove to be complicated to debug this particular error in the original game...
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;

„ Helfen - Wehren - Heilen “

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I have absolutely no affiliation whatsoever with that!

Zidane
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Zidane » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:48 pm

CharlotteLabyrinth wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:08 pm
Bronsteijn24K wrote:
This bug does not exist in the original game. If it was referring to OpenUA, please report all UA_Source specific issues into UA:Source thread with replicable contexts so that they can be resolved. The tank pathfinding algorithm in UA:Source is different from the original UA.
I think for some reason path points does not copy to the new commander. I will check it.
合体! ライオカイザー

Zidane
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Zidane » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:11 pm

Bronsteijn24K wrote:
Can you make some video with it? Because I can't reproduce it.
合体! ライオカイザー

Bronsteijn24K
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Bronsteijn24K » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:06 pm

Zidane wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:11 pm
Bronsteijn24K wrote:
here: https://youtu.be/7OeokjMMOMk

Notice when the lead thors hammer gets destroyed, the remaining units ignore their current path and head straight to the final point?

Bronsteijn24K
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Bronsteijn24K » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:30 pm

Just found another bug that also exists in the original, I created 200 Yangs to destroy an enemy base and even from being in my host stay WAY outside of render distance, the game started badly slowing down, after about 30 seconds into the attack the game crashed from what I believe is a lack of memory for all the yang's bomb models. This bug exists in both UA source and the original.

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:48 am

Bronsteijn24K wrote:
Notice when the lead thors hammer gets destroyed, the remaining units ignore their current path and head straight to the final point?
[/quote]

I forgot to post a reply until your most recent bugs post today. This is a perfect example of your bug report!

Zidane
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Zidane » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:16 am

Bronsteijn24K wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:06 pm
Zidane wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:11 pm
Bronsteijn24K wrote:
here: https://youtu.be/7OeokjMMOMk

Found that shadow names was in path-find algo for ground units. Hope now this bug is fixed, try this and test
合体! ライオカイザー

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:04 pm

There are several inconsistencies related to game time counting. Has anyone else noticed these? I did some experiments with the original game.

Zidane, could you investigate these?

1) Game clock runs too fast

I measured the time of several missions using a stopwatch and noticed that the game time counter runs faster than it should. On this particular computer, which is pretty old, the difference was 3...7% depending on the level and game settings.

This happens in both software and hardware rendering mode so it's probably not related to the game speed issues that are sometimes encountered in software rendering mode. In fact, it might be worse in hardware rendering mode, at least on this computer. It also happens with both UA.exe and UA_xp.exe.

Example from Dark Valley (hardware rendering, UA_xp.exe):
Mission debriefing shows: 00:07:04
Stopwatch shows: 00:06:35.6

In this case, it was about 7% faster.

2) Game time counting is inconsistent when re-entering a completed level

This was originally noted when we discussed the Orillan campaign:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1821&start=10#p18097

If you re-enter a finished level, then exit via the beam gate, the overall playing time counter will be increased by the total time spent on that level. For example:

Exiting Command & Taerkast for the first time:
Playing time this mission: 00:10:29
Playing time overall: 00:50:32

Re-entering Command & Taerkast immediately and exiting it again:
Playing time this mission: 00:12:08
Playing time overall: 01:02:40

Re-entering Command & Taerkast again and exiting it for the 3rd time, this time using UA_xp.exe:
Playing time this mission: 00:12:55
Playing time overall: 01:15:35

This means that if you re-enter a level, which took a long time to complete, multiple times, the final game time statistics will be garbage. This might be of particular concern to speedrunners.

3) Stoudson bomb countdown is inaccurate

There are at least two problems related to the Stoudson bomb countdown.

I think the first one is rather well known. If you set the countdown to 60000, it does not become exactly 1 minute in the game. Is the correct multiplier for conversion actually 1024 instead of 1000?

The in-game Stoudson bomb timer also counts down too fast. This is from the same example as in case 1 - Dark Valley, UA_xp.exe, hardware rendering. I started another stopwatch when the countdown hit 2 minutes and stopped it when the bomb detonated. The actual time was 1:52. So the in-game timer was about 7% faster again, just like the mission completion time.

What seems to work correctly - tested quickly:

-- Time spent in mission briefing is not added to the statistics

-- When the game is paused, the game time counter is also paused

-- Restarting the mission without returning to the main menu seems to reset the time counter correctly

-- Saving and reloading seems to preserve the accumulated game time correctly

<<edit>> I added other bugs and also reordered the first post. Please notify me if I accidentally deleted something.

Destroying your own units increases both the kill counter and score

Does using kamikaze units do the same? I think it does.

Kill statistics are not shown after re-entering a finished level

A "feature" or a bug? Detrimental to the game experience anyway.

More information is needed about this bug:
Score counting does not work - this is related to your faction number and whether you're using UA.exe or UA_xp.exe. This bug needs to be characterized properly.
Im in ur base, stalkin ur hoststation