Presentation and a little question.

New here? Introduce yourself to all the fellow Urban Assault players here! (Post counts do not increase in this forum)
Ken di Hokut0
Firefly
Firefly

Presentation and a little question.

Post by Ken di Hokut0 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:44 pm

Hello i'm 30, italian and love Urban Assault. I registered here because i need help whit the download section of this forum. I need to know what files i need to download for playing urban assault and metropolis dawn properly on windows 10. Can you help please? :(

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Re: Presentation and a little question.

Post by GoldStar611 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:54 am

Welcome to the forums.

If you want the data with no audio you can use
https://files.metropolisdawn.com/game/A ... taonly.ISO

If you want the full mixed mode CD image with audio tracks then you'll need
https://files.metropolisdawn.com/game/UASSAULT.mdf
And
https://files.metropolisdawn.com/game/UASSAULT.mds
And An image burning program to create the CD.

There is another forum post dedicated specifically to Windows 10 problems. I believe it is best to *not install the game* but rather copy the game files from the disk to your desktop.

Metropolis Dawn should be a similar process but you'll need special shortcut files which can be found in that thread or another

Ken di Hokut0
Firefly
Firefly

Post by Ken di Hokut0 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:37 pm

Just a few more questions xD:

1 - What do you mean whit full mixed mode? What do I get? Do I get Metropolis Dawn?

2 - Can I play Urban Assault and Metropolis Dawn whitout the CD? And if I need the CD what type of CD i need to buy?

3 - Why do you believe that copying files from CD is the best option? If so, which files i need to copy? All of them?

However my interest is to get Urban Assault + expansion fully working on windows 10 with all the audios and cutscenes and ALL. Sorry for all my questions, I'm a bit confused xD

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:38 pm

Hello Ken di Hokut0, welcome to Stoudson Corporation!

To answer your questions:

1) A mixed mode CD refers to a disc that contains both data and audio in one place. It was a relatively common practice for old games to have their CDs burnt in this format. This is the type of CD you should use if you wish to have in-game soundtracks working.

2) Purchasing a new Urban Assault CD from an official source is no longer possible, but you might be able to buy one over the internet if there are any third-party sellers present. Otherwise, you may use the virtual disk image files hosted on our FTP repository; which contain complete game data with full authentic contents, including soundtracks and demo materials.

Metropolis Dawn does not require an additional CD since it was never published due to contract issues. Instead, the package comes with an official installer from the developers, which is designed to automatically detect original Urban Assault registry on your system to install the new expansion pack contents.

For this reason, you must have the full original UA installed with complete registry first on your computer prior to installing MD expansion. If the installer fails to detect or recognise the original UA registry entries on your computer, the installation will be unsuccessful.

3) On modern Windows versions including 10, installing and running the original Urban Assault can be troublesome for various reasons, such as UAC authentication or administrator privileges. These may potentially cause some conflicts to the game during and after the installation process, especially when installing the game within its default directory ('C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Urban Assault').

There are several methods to overcome these problems should they occur. But generally, it's much faster and simpler to install the game in a different location (such as 'C:\Urban Assault') that is not protected by the admin rights.

For Metropolis Dawn, I believe it is possible to bypass the installation process by copying the game files directly from the expansion package, and manually paste them over your Urban Assault directory. But without using the MD installer, you will have to manually create two Ua_xp.exe shortcuts for expansion campaigns with env parameters respectively.

Therefore, if you wish to have fully working soundtracks in the game, you must have a copy of full retail Urban Assault CD (which is not sold officially anymore), or download and emulate the virtual disk images of a full mixed mode game CD hosted on our FTP repository. Some links are already provided in the previous post by GoldStar611, but I'll list the essential links to get the full game working with comprehensive contents on Windows 10.

Full Original Urban Assault virtual disk images:
https://files.metropolisdawn.com/game/UASSAULT.mdf
https://files.metropolisdawn.com/game/UASSAULT.mds

Metropolis Dawn Expansion Pack

Helicopter Patch
(AI-controlled helicopters will most likely be susceptible to buggy behaviours on modern hardware. So if it happens, please replace your game executables with their corresponding counterparts found in this patch file.) More Info

Windows Tweaks and Troubleshooting page on our website wiki

(Thanks Ormu for composing these resourceful wiki pages!)

Note: In many cases, the opening intro and in-game movies are commonly known to cause problematic issues such as digital artefacts or black screens on modern hardware. Completely turning off the game's video player in NUCLEUS.ini configuration file will resolve the issue. This will unfortunately disable all in-game movies as well.
;--------------------------------------------------
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;
;--------------------------------------------------
„ Helfen - Wehren - Heilen “

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!

Ken di Hokut0
Firefly
Firefly

Post by Ken di Hokut0 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:55 am

Charlotte thank you for your time helping me. I already downloaded and installed this file from your download section: Urban Assault.tar.bz2

The game works fine and MD too but on youtube i've noticed that other people have graphical effects that I don't have like the blue screen while teleporting the station or explosions. theyr game seems to look better. Why?

However I need to know what type of CD I need to buy to burn those game's images. Sorry I'm ignorant :roll:

HELP PLEASE! I really whant to play this beautifull game with every aspect functioning and the best possible graphic :cry:..... thanks again for your patience.

EDIT:

I mounted only the mdf file whit daemon tools and installed the game in c:\Urban Assault and now i see all the graphics are ok :D but..... :roll: when i used the helypatch, now the game asks me for the CD. What can I do? Did I do something wrong?

Another thing: the ingame hud seems a little stretched (but just a very little). I use 1024x768 ingame resolution but my monitor is 1366x768 native. I tried various options either ingame or on my graphic card and monitor but nothing. Any suggestion?

Double edit xD:

I solved the problem for the helypatch. Game is working again :D

PS:

I know, Im asking too many questions.... sorry :(.... but i really love this game. Maybe we can do a multiplayer session sometime :mrgreen:

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:06 pm

The color effects are only visible in software rendering mode.

Stretching can usually be disabled via graphics card control panel or via the monitor settings menu which can be accessed by using the buttons of the monitor itself.

There's also a high-resolution patch available. Or you can use UA_Source, but it doesn't yet support multiplayer or the intro videos.
Image Im in ur base, stalkin ur hoststation

Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

Ken di Hokut0
Firefly
Firefly

Post by Ken di Hokut0 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:00 am

Yes I know UA source but how do I install it? However I'm currently trying a mykonian mod for the game and..... it's insane! The difficulty I mean. I don't know how to beat the Sulgogars... :shock:

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:33 am

I don't usually post outside links but here is a rar package with UA Source and Metropolis Dawn already installed.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/8p6lvqs3r ... Source.rar

Ken di Hokut0
Firefly
Firefly

Post by Ken di Hokut0 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:13 am

Thankyou GoldStar611, but i prefer doing it manually. What steps I need to follow for installing UA Source and make it functioning whit MD?

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:49 am

To install UA Source, extract the package and put the contents into the folder where UA is installed. You can find UA Source here:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1589

To play the expansions with UA Source, you have to launch UA_source.exe with the -env parameter, just like you would do with UA_xp.exe. You can do this by using shortcuts, batch files or the command line.

For Ghorkov and Taerkasten campaigns:

Code: Select all

UA_source.exe -env Ghor_env

Code: Select all

UA_source.exe -env Taer_env
Image Im in ur base, stalkin ur hoststation

Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...