Incongruent Sector Visuality

For those of us who are curious and like to poke around in the game's data files and scripts as well as glitching. Caters to anything from unit/building stats to level data to telling how to glitch and stories of game errors.
CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Incongruent Sector Visuality

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:30 pm

It has always come to my attention that the sector visibility over the map screen demonstrates asymmetrical nature when it comes to showing elevations...

The terrain displays are always salient and projecting outwards towards north-western/upper-left corner of each sector cell. So the 'white lines' indicating inaccessible cliffs are only become visible when they are located at the north or west sides of the sector cell, but not when located at the east or south sides of the sector cell.

Another issue that I've been thinking is that the radar array dispersions of units are not perfectly symmetrical alongside the both horizontal and vertical axes. When a unit has larger radar size than 1, the radar distribution of visible areas shows more horizontal sectors than vertical sectors.

Question: Are there any recommended engine-wise solutions to adjust this 'misalignment' of coordinate displays on the map screen? I may have to look into disassembly later, but I'm curious if anyone else already knows some quick answers to eliminate this kind of directional irregularity.
;--------------------------------------------------
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;
„ Helfen - Wehren - Heilen “

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Re: Incongruent Sector Visuality

Post by Ormu » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:47 pm

The developers have probably just decided that the white line is always a property of the northern and western edge of a sector. It might have been simpler to program it that way. Changing this by hacking the exe might be very complicated as you may have to add plenty of code to keep it consistent.

The shape of the radar coverage might be caused by conversions and rounding between real distance and sectors. Or it might have been programmed that way on purpose if the developers thought that having a full square visible would be detrimental to the balance of the game.

UA source should provide more information...
http://i27.tinypic.com/27yd153.gif[/img] Im in ur base, stalkin ur hoststation

Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Re: Incongruent Sector Visuality

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:42 pm

I know the white line appearing at the north/west edge of sector cells are from the engine design. I haven't checked any files yet for the time being, :cry: but I was curious if there's anyone else who might have studied about this subject already and could provide some direct inputs. From what I recall, the focus of elevation displays on the map screen is simply 'shifted' towards the northwest direction, around (x-150) (z-150) coordinate deviations from the normal sector displays. While I never thought of it as an easy task, I'll have to wait until I can have some free time to take a deeper investigation into the game files.

About the radar display, if we consider the ratio of total amounts of sectors displayed per each radar sizes, then the game's representation is more appropriate. However, I don't think that any directional asymmetry applied on gameplay information is favourable... In my view, the radar coverage should be a circular model which displays same amounts of sectors throughout the both horizontal and vertical axes, not the ellipse-like model which covers slightly more horizontal sectors than vertical sectors. If the radar routine is defined through a simple distance calculation math then I expect tweaking the logic may be simpler too.
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;
„ Helfen - Wehren - Heilen “

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!