UA Orillian Campaign - partly completed pretty intensive UA overhaul - interest?

For those of us who are curious and like to poke around in the game's data files and scripts as well as glitching. Caters to anything from unit/building stats to level data to telling how to glitch and stories of game errors.
medicineman
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

UA Orillian Campaign - partly completed pretty intensive UA overhaul - interest?

Post by medicineman » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:29 am

Hey guys, I joined up a couple of years back talking about a campaign but I never said anything further (I was sectlord on UAHQ btw). I have currently 10 levels of a 25 level campaign that is intended to be a full overhaul of UA (others are part done). The levels are currently too difficult for my taste and need to be toned down.

It's been sitting on my HDD for like five years and is about half finished. But I could most likely finish this if I put my mind to it, so I'd like to gauge interest. Here goes:

The storyline: It has little relation to the traditional UA world (although a connection is made later). You are part of the Orillan Republic, a nation fighting for control of a post-apocalyptic earth continent with a rival nation, the Xan Confederation. Along the way, several other foes, both terrestrial and alien join the fight...

What's new: so, while I don't claim to have come up with everything myself (for example, Devest8r thought up the beam weapons trick and one of the levels is a homage to a multiplayer level AOE Danny made with all the Stoudson bombs that I turned into a SP mission), I do consider this to have a lot of new twists to it. As much as I was able to change. I wanted to synthesize all of the amazing work done by everyone over the years and turn it into a completely different experience of playing UA.

Here's what it has:
- New sounds - a lot of them. I design sounds and music as a hobby and pulled a lot of others from various video games
- Some novel enemy factions. One is invisible, both to the radar and the eye, but your weapons can track them and they're pretty easy to hear. Another is invincible, at least for part of the game, so it requires some clever thinking for how to beat the mission when you can't kill them. Another faction utilizes small debris-like units that are weak by themselves but attack in swarms.
- A new voiceover, inspired by what I think the cockpit of a Mykonian spacecraft might sound like in UA (don't worry it's not me speaking klingon or something, it's computerized). Replaces... the light heli I think.
- Levels that require unusual strategies. For example, one requires creative use of the missile cam, another has terrain that is basically intraversable to tanks. Another is a maze (an actual maze) that you use tanks to clear early in the game. But on the other hand there are still good old fashioned shootouts. Someone once said "I'll play a campaign that you can't win by turtling and single unit espionage." While that comment didn't prompt the campaign exactly, I've thought of it a lot during the making.
- Hopefully new skies. Can anyone speak to whether or not the .bas editors work on the sky files? If so, I have some ideas.
- Energy beings, made to look like plasma units. Your weapons do not work on them for the first part of the game, until you get technology capable of beating them.
- A new training mission with three sections
- New overworld map
- A side-quest to another continent to face a vastly superior force planning to invade your continent
- New faction colors. One is purple.
- You play as player slot 1, so the save works correctly.
- Unlimited beam gate capacity
- Using some obsolete/unused features in the language and script files. Well, the ones that do something at least.
- While it doesn't have new graphics, I did come up with a few novel mothership designs, see the screenshots. I wanted to change the icons but those appear to be really touchy.

I've attached some screenshots and once I get the first ten levels together with all the required files, I'll add that. I'm just trying to get some opinions. If folks are interested, I could finish it.
Attachments
Screen4.bmp
Screen4.bmp (232.47 KiB) Viewed 911 times
Screen2.bmp
Screen1.bmp
Last edited by medicineman on Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

medicineman
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Re: UA Orillian Campaign - partly completed pretty intensive UA overhaul - interest?

Post by medicineman » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:32 am

Here are the other two screenshots - think I was trying to fit too many into the other post.
Attachments
s3.PNG
Screen5.bmp

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Re: UA Orillian Campaign - partly completed pretty intensive UA overhaul - interest?

Post by GoldStar611 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:14 am

Welcome back SectLord. If I recall correctly you had the spam can image in your signature in UAHQ :P

Anyways, it's great to always have the usuals come back and join us again. We are more or less still around however mostly on discord too

That is one mean looking Taer host station. Do all of the turrets work and fire?

medicineman
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by medicineman » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:58 am

Yeah that was me lol. I was a silly kid.

The Taer station currently has 4 plasma gun turrets as well as one beam weapon on top, but only the user can fire it - the rotated VP was to make it look cooler and counts as another gun. I think 8 + 2 is over the gun limit for a host station, if I recall.

Got your invite to discord, so I'll pop by there later on. BTW GoldStar I've seen your graphics tools, pretty awesome stuff. Glad folks are finally able to get a look into the .bas files.

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:06 pm

Looks interesting! And welcome to the forums.

To these questions:
medicineman wrote: - A new voiceover, inspired by what I think the cockpit of a Mykonian spacecraft might sound like in UA (don't worry it's not me speaking klingon or something, it's computerized). Replaces... the light heli I think.
As far as I know, replacement is not necessary as you can add new voiceover sets.

see: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1299

medicineman wrote: - Hopefully new skies. Can anyone speak to whether or not the .bas editors work on the sky files? If so, I have some ideas.
At least some of the BAS tools work with sky files too. Creating new sky textures is pretty easy.

Making new sky domes (wireframes) is still hard, but you shouldn't need them as long as you aren't doing something strange with the skies.
http://i27.tinypic.com/27yd153.gif[/img] Im in ur base, stalkin ur hoststation

Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

medicineman
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by medicineman » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:20 am

You can edit the skies? Fantastic. There's another game with post-apocalyptic alien skies that I just learned to export from that should complement UA well. Pretty excited about that.

Ok, I think I'll get this up and running, then. The first step will be for me to replay the first 10 levels and fix the difficulty so you're not getting overrun *instantly.* Most of the other levels are at least started and all the units are done. There's two levels that I need to plan out yet.

Will keep everyone updated.

Side note, do folks still play with a soundtrack? There's a lot of dark ambient music both of my own design and others' that might work well in the game. I haven't used the music in a long time though either because I can't make the volume change or I get tired of hearing the same 3-4 min songs over and over. Probably do that last, though.

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:20 pm

Welcome to Stoudson Corporation, medicineman!
This mod looks really nice and I hope its development phase will continue. :D

To further address the following issues:

medicineman wrote: You play as player slot 1, so the save works correctly.
Ua_xp.exe and/or UA_Source.exe do not have the 'owner = 1' dependency for saving/restarting the levels. By using these executables it is possible to freely assign different faction numbers for the user if needed.

medicineman wrote: While it doesn't have new graphics, I did come up with a few novel mothership designs, see the screenshots. I wanted to change the icons but those appear to be really touchy.
medicineman wrote: You can edit the skies? Fantastic. There's another game with post-apocalyptic alien skies that I just learned to export from that should complement UA well. Pretty excited about that.
The icons and *.BAS sky textures should only consist of indexed colours from the 'standard' palette used in the game to prevent colour distortions from occurring in software rendering mode.

Also when saving the image files, please make sure their individual properties are kept through the image editor as well. A small corruption in formats may result in digital artefacts.

medicineman wrote: The Taer station currently has 4 plasma gun turrets as well as one beam weapon on top, but only the user can fire it - the rotated VP was to make it look cooler and counts as another gun. I think 8 + 2 is over the gun limit for a host station, if I recall.
Gun turret limit for robo in original game executables are 8; with some low-level investigations it should be also possible to pinpoint modify the integer. I haven't checked if UA:Source already supports increased limit for this, however.

medicineman wrote: Side note, do folks still play with a soundtrack? There's a lot of dark ambient music both of my own design and others' that might work well in the game. I haven't used the music in a long time though either because I can't make the volume change or I get tired of hearing the same 3-4 min songs over and over. Probably do that last, though.
I'm a fan of dark ambient music too! :P Since UA soundtracks are stored and directly read from CD, in order to add new soundtracks you may have to burn a new CD image file with new music files embedded for your mod.

Alternatively, you could use UA:Source which supports very quick and easy soundtrack customisations, as well as enhanced overall modding capabilities.
;--------------------------------------------------
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;
„ Helfen - Wehren - Heilen “

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!

medicineman
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by medicineman » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:29 am

CharlotteLabyrinth wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:20 pm
Alternatively, you could use UA:Source which supports very quick and easy soundtrack customisations, as well as enhanced overall modding capabilities.
Sounds exciting! I have a lot of ideas then. However, I'm using Windows 10 and on searching through the forums and discord, it looks like compiling UA Source on Win is not straightforward at the moment (although GoldStar got it to work). If that's the case, I'll probably stick with UA_xp for now and maybe move to UA_Source in a later version.

Unless I give folks a playlist and they want to alt+Tab out of the game to switch to the next track :P

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:40 am

Oh, manual compiling is strictly an optional choice. There's readily available version releases of UA:Source compiled for Windows in its main thread already. :mrgreen:

Latest build 0.94-2 download link: (see topic above)

Simply drag and drop everything into your working UA directory. It's a good idea to make a whole backup copy of your UA folder and apply the new files there so you can have both original UA and UA:Source.

Whilst it does not support the full functionality of the original game yet, its new improvements and exclusive features make it perfect for general usage. Plus, it does work marvellously on Windows 10!
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;
„ Helfen - Wehren - Heilen “

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!

medicineman
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by medicineman » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:38 pm

Ha, totally missed that. Thanks!