Known bugs of UA

For those of us who are curious and like to poke around in the game's data files and scripts as well as glitching. Caters to anything from unit/building stats to level data to telling how to glitch and stories of game errors.
Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Known bugs of UA

Post by Ormu » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:45 pm

Let's collect known bugs of UA into this thread. Many players encounter these problems but the existing information is scattered around and hard to find.

I don't know all details, and I may forget something, so contributions are very welcome!

When we have enough information, it should be put into the wiki as well.

This thread is not about:
  • Crashes or other problems that are caused when a technical limit (set on purpose, or caused by the maximum/minimum values of a data type) is deliberately exceeded when creating game content. See this thread about such limits.
  • Limitations related to the design of algorithms or routines, such as:
    • General poor behavior of units, such as helicopters, which is not caused by a specific programming flaw
    • General multiplayer issues such as flying/gliding units or invisible units, unless there is a specific programming flaw that causes such behavior.
  • Game glitches caused by "unexpected" acts of the player, such as the "F6 jump gun trick" or the ability to control multiple vehicles at once. These are now included in this thread.
  • Most compatibility problems related to modern systems. See this wiki article about compatibility problems.
Problems caused by malformed game content, on the other hand, should be included in this thread as long as such content is a part of the original game, the official demo or the Metropolis Dawn expansion.

The helicopter bug

Helicopters do not obey orders and are unable to move in directions other than up. This is a very well known problem. It's caused by a threshold check in the code that handles helicopter movement. On modern computers, the game runs fast and the threshold condition is never fulfilled, resulting in incorrect behavior.

This was conclusively confirmed and fixed by Zidane. See this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1575

See this wiki article too:
https://wiki.metropolisdawn.com/heli_bug

Units get added into wrong squad

Sometimes, when you create a squad of new units, the first unit forms a new squad, but the rest are added into another squad. This bug usually (always?) starts to occur after reloading a saved game. After occurring once, it repeats itself. It can be resolved by destroying your existing units.

Weapon hit detection fails at sector borders

When a projectile passes through a sector border, it may fail to hit a vehicle which is positioned very close to the border but on the other side of it. This is quite noticeable when sniping host stations with Rhino rockets, for example.

See this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1826

Some investigation by Zidane:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1589&start=140#p17164

Tanks get stuck to each other after creation

Sometimes when you create several tanks in rapid succession, some of them may get stuck to each other and stay floating in the air. This happens quite often. It can usually be resolved by jumping into one of the tanks or destroying one of them. Keeping enough space between the tanks during creation can also help to prevent this issue from occurring.

Last two tips missing from level selection screen

The last two of the tips that are shown in the level selection screen are never shown by the game. The tips are:
Tip: Press the Backspace key to jump back into the last vehicle you occupied.
Press F8 to jump into the vehicle that last sent you a message (denoted by a blinking 'i').

Tip: When joining your squads in battle, try to jump into units just before they enter
battle rather than after it has begun. This will give you the best field orientation and edge in any battle.
This bug has been fixed in UA Source. A patch for original UA is also presented by CharlotteLabyrinth in a message below.

Gun turret aiming

Gun turrets aim into wrong direction if the target vehicle is located directly north or south of them. See this:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1589&start=210#p17496

This bug has been fixed in UA Source.

Tech upgrade multiplication

Certain types of tech upgrades can be applied multiple times by completing and reloading the level where they are located.

See this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=392
leftylink wrote:How to reproduce this bug:
- Find a level with at least one technology upgrade that is either "increase damage", "increase shield", or "double shot".
- Defeat all enemies in this level, and open the beam gate.
- Save
- Enter the beam gate, and leave the level.
- Click "Last Saved" and it will ask "Do you want to load the saved game and discard your current progress?" Choose "OK".
- Quit the level (Do not enter the beam gate).
- Click on any level in the world map.

What happens:
- You KEEP your upgrades from the level you just quit...
- BUT you can play the level you just quit AGAIN, and gain the benefits of the technology upgrade again!
- In addition, your beam gate capacity is saved, but you can kill the enemies again to gain more beam gate capacity.

Weapon radius is partially ignored

The radius_<type> parameters of weapons, such as radius_tank = ..., are used to determine how the AI uses them against different units but they do not affect the size of the weapon's hitbox. This was investigated and confirmed to be a bug by Zidane. See this:

This bug has been fixed in UA Source but the fix must be manually enabled.

Ownership of enemy sectors is not automatically changed after destroying all host stations

Sometimes when you destroy all host stations of a faction, you do not automatically acquire the sectors owned by that faction. This happens every now and then but the exact cause is not known. It's rumored that this may happen more likely when the last enemy host station gets destroyed by energy drain caused by a foreign power station.

See this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1617

Enemy flaks remain on the battlefield after all host stations are destroyed

This bug occurs very rarely. Sometimes a flak station may survive the destruction of all host stations of the faction that owns it. This may happen when an enemy host station starts constructing a new flak station but gets destroyed before the building operation is completed. However, it's not known if this may occur in other circumstances. The bugged flak station usually stays inactive and won't shoot at you.

See this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1617

Tanks start shaking

Sometimes when you're piloting a tank manually, the viewport starts shaking and the screen gets blurry. This is most likely caused by a loss of precision in the rotation handling routines. A related bug in UA Source was investigated by Zidane, see this post.

[Content] Enemy units can't hit the player version of Skorpio in Metropolis Dawn

If the player is controlling one of the turrets of the player version of Skorpio in the Metropolis Dawn Ghorkov campaign, attacking units cannot hit the Skorpio. The AI units choose the particular turret as their target because they prioritize the unit which is occupied by the player. The problem occurs because the turrets are placed outside Skorpio's hitbox and their own hitbox is very small.

See this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1826
http://i27.tinypic.com/27yd153.gif[/img] Im in ur base, stalkin ur hoststation

Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Re: Known bugs of UA

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:30 pm

Finally! This thread was absolutely imperative.

Mandatorily describing whether the bug is fully fixed or not in the latest versions of UA:Source or not should be important as well. For example, the 'Units get added into wrong squad' bug from the original game is still present in UA:Source. Anecdotally, it only seems to happen with saved & re-loaded games.

I will list down a few things that I can come up with at this moment. Come to think of it, I really should've made a note or two about these before…

• Sector border hitbox glitch

See:
    viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1826#p18107

By far the most game-breaking bug to exist in UA, only surpassed by the notorious helicopter glitch… Addressed but not yet fixed in UA:Source.

---
  • Gun turret aiming bug

See:
    viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1589&start=230#p17568

Fixed in UA:Source by Zidane.

---
  • Tech upgrade cloning

I really don't think this one needs an explanation here. However, would this fit better into another thread since it requires a particular set of actions (whether deliberate or not) from the player's side?

---
  • Dysfunctional 'radius_(type)' parameters?

Pending more information; the radius_(type) parameters for weapons only work for determining the scope of how AI vehicles will fire their weapons against particular unit types, but have no effect at adjusting actual weapons' hitbox sizes. Whilst in UA:Source, these variables also affect weapons' actual hitbox sizes registered against particular unit types as well.

Now the real question is, are these parameters in original UA functioning normally as they were intended by the developers? Personally, I wouldn't classify this one as a bug since there is no tangible proof or evidence.

When in doubt, leave them be...

Lastly…
Ormu wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:45 pm
Last two tips missing from level selection screen

The last two of the tips that are shown in the level selection screen are never shown by the game. The tips are:
Tip: Press the Backspace key to jump back into the last vehicle you occupied.
Press F8 to jump into the vehicle that last sent you a message (denoted by a blinking 'i').

Tip: When joining your squads in battle, try to jump into units just before they enter
battle rather than after it has begun. This will give you the best field orientation and edge in any battle.
This bug has been fixed in UA Source.
Was this bug fixed in UA_Source? I did reported it earlier in UA:Source thread before, but then I may have probably missed to check the latest released builds…

I've also found that it is quite easy to fix this bug through a simple binary hack, if it helps:
CharlotteLabyrinth wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:24 am
For hex-editing this manually in all known UA executables, search for the two addresses containing the hex string '3D CE 09', and simply change their bytes to '3D D0 09'.
;--------------------------------------------------
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;
„ Helfen - Wehren - Heilen “

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:45 am

Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:30 pm
Was this bug fixed in UA_Source? I did reported it earlier in UA:Source thread before, but then I may have probably missed to check the latest released builds…
The change has been committed to the source code, I do not know if Zidane has released a updated EXE here on the forums however.

I am working on windows EXE "releases" via github at https://github.com/goldstar611/UA_source/releases
These are mostly untested however, so feedback would be great.

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:53 pm

Thanks for the additional information! I added all of these.

-- Tech upgrade multiplication: I think this is a bug. It happens because the game state is not stored and reloaded properly.

-- radius_<type> is ignored: This may be an inteded decision made by the developers but I added it anyway because it has confused modders throughout the years.

-- Gun turret aiming: definitely a flaw in the algorithms.

-- Sector border hitbox issues: Looks like a bug.

Some other bugs that should be added once they have been properly characterized:
  • Score counting does not work if your faction is not 1 (doesn't apply to UA_Xp.exe?)
  • Game time counting is not consistent - investigated in this thread.
  • Kill statistics are not shown/counted if you save a level, reload it and continue destroying enemies. A "feature" or a bug? Detrimental to game experience anyway. Investigated in the thread mentioned above.
  • Destroying your own units are included in the kill statistics. Are they included in the score as well? I think they are.
  • Projectiles fired by the AI fail to hit the player version of Skorpio in Metropolis Dawn if the player is controlling one of its turrets and the AI unit is firing at the turret. See this thread. This may happen with weapon types other than missiles as well? This seems to be a content-related bug. Added to the first post!

Zidane
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Zidane » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:04 pm

Ormu wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:53 pm
-- radius_<type> is ignored: This may be an inteded decision made by the developers but I added it anyway because it has confused modders throughout the years.
It's 110% error in source code and it's luck that it's not produce memory corruption.
合体! ライオカイザー

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:15 pm

Zidane wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:04 pm
Ormu wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:53 pm
It's 110% error in source code and it's luck that it's not produce memory corruption.
Thanks for clarification. I read the post in the UA Source thread again and it was mentioned there.

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:13 pm

I noticed this with UA Source. Does such a bug exist in the original game as well? The AI host station is (probably) on the sector marked with the arrow. If you try to construct a building into that sector, the energy is consumed but the building doesn't appear.
Attachments
Building_bug.png

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:30 pm

Ormu wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:13 pm
I noticed this with UA Source. Does such a bug exist in the original game as well? The AI host station is (probably) on the sector marked with the arrow. If you try to construct a building into that sector, the energy is consumed but the building doesn't appear.
I've made a report about this issue in UA:Source thread before, see:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1589&start=190#p17369
Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:42 pm
  • When an attempt to construct a building on a sector where the other host station is already present is made by either AI or user host stations, the building is not constructed (this is normal), but the energy cost for the building is still deducted from the energy reservoir, resulting in a total waste of energy for nothing.

It is perfectly normal for both AI and user host stations to be unable to construct buildings on sectors where the other host stations are already present, as it was in the original UA. However in the original UA, since the buildings are not constructed at all, the energy costs for buildings are not expended either in the first place.
This energy consumption bug only occurs in UA_Source, and does not exist in the original UA.
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;
„ Helfen - Wehren - Heilen “

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!

Zidane
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Zidane » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:10 pm

Ormu wrote:
Please try this 0.94-4
合体! ライオカイザー

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:26 pm

Zidane wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:10 pm
Ormu wrote:
Please try this 0.94-4
Thanks, I'll try that out.

I added some more bugs to the first post.