Urban Assault Orillan Campaign: V1.0 Release

For those of us who are curious and like to poke around in the game's data files and scripts as well as glitching. Caters to anything from unit/building stats to level data to telling how to glitch and stories of game errors.
Post Reply
User avatar
medicineman
Firefly
Firefly
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:15 am
Contact:

Urban Assault Orillan Campaign: V1.0 Release

Post by medicineman » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:53 pm

After many years of development/inactivity and a small amount of hype...

Thanks to GoldStar for helping me get this uploaded. Download here:
https://files.metropolisdawn.com/mods-s ... 202019.zip
(Current as of 05/15/2019)

"I'll play a campaign that you can't win by turtling and single unit espionage."
-Devest8r

The storyline: It has little relation to the traditional UA world (it is somewhat connected but let's just say it's in a parallel universe where everything might not be canon). You are part of the Orillan Republic, a nation fighting for control of a post-apocalyptic earth continent with a rival nation, the Xan Confederation. Along the way, several other foes, both terrestrial and alien join the fight...
Screenshots on this post and next.

There's a lot of new twists in the game, some of them borrowed by the volumes of amazing work done by folks on UAHQ over the years, and many others are my own. Here's what it has:
- New sounds - a lot of them. I design sounds and music as a hobby and pulled a lot of others from various video games
- Some novel enemy factions. One is invisible, both to the radar and the eye, but your weapons can track them and they're pretty easy to hear. Another is invincible, at least for part of the game, so it requires some clever thinking for how to beat the mission when you can't kill them. Another faction utilizes small debris-like units that are weak by themselves but attack in swarms.
- A new voiceover, inspired by what I think the cockpit of a Mykonian spacecraft might sound like in UA (don't worry it's not me speaking klingon or something, it's computerized).
- Levels that require unusual strategies. For example, one requires creative use of the missile cam, another has terrain that is basically intraversable to tanks. Another is a maze (an actual maze) that you use tanks to clear early in the game. But on the other hand there are still good old fashioned shootouts.
- Energy beings, made to look like plasma units. Your weapons do not work on them for the first part of the game, until you get technology capable of beating them.
- A new training mission with three sections
- New overworld map
- A side-quest to another continent to face a vastly superior force planning to invade your continent
- New faction colors. One is purple.
- While it doesn't have new graphics, I did come up with a few novel mothership designs.

Please let me know issues as they come up. While I can't guarantee the second version (it will depend on time), I will put together a bugfix as issues are identified. I played through it myself, so I hope I caught most of them, but there's always some weird things that happen. (See the readme).
- 05/15/19 - beamgate energy is now huge like it's supposed to be

This was made with the original UA, but I don't think a *lot* changes between UA and MD. I included a save file, although there is one minor issue that I found after it was uploaded: I meant to make the beamgate energy huge - currently it's at its UA default. If you want to add three more 0's to max beam energy in the user file, go ahead and do that.

This sat for about five years and recently became a creative outlet to relieve the stress of physics research. I hope you all enjoy!
Attachments
NCC_01.jpg
Scr01.jpg
Last edited by medicineman on Wed May 15, 2019 2:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
medicineman
Firefly
Firefly
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:15 am
Contact:

Re: Urban Assault Orillan Campaign: V1.0 Release

Post by medicineman » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:54 pm

EDIT disregard: more screenshots!
Attachments
MB_preview.png
Outskirts.jpg
Scr02.jpg
Last edited by medicineman on Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:16 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Urban Assault Orillan Campaign: V1.0 Release

Post by GoldStar611 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:15 pm

The screenshot upload issue was my fault. Uploads are enabled now!
Image
Image

User avatar
CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Posts: 419
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:00 pm
Location: Schloss Charlottenburg..?
Contact:

Re: Urban Assault Orillan Campaign: V1.0 Release

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:20 am

I was away from the community for a while, and this magnificent mod in its completed form is finally here! Thank you very much for this great contribution. :D :)

I should definitely try it sometime, love the mod's synopsis and puzzle elements described in the main post. Oh, and wish you good luck with your physics research too!
;--------------------------------------------------
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;
;--------------------------------------------------
„ Helfen - Wehren - Heilen “

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Posts: 863
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:59 pm
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: Urban Assault Orillan Campaign: V1.0 Release

Post by Ormu » Wed May 01, 2019 10:11 am

I'm about to start playing this but I got some questions and ideas.

The download link has expired. I already have the file but others aren't able to download it now.

There are two sets of icons ("fonts"), one set in the Data/Fonts folder and another set in a separate folder named "Fonts". Which of these are the ones that you meant to be used?

According to the readme file, some large levels are unstable. I didn't check what's wrong with them but one possible explanation is the size which should not exceed 64 sectors in either direction. Even though slight increases such as 65 sectors may seem to work, they can lead to stability problems and are not recommended.
Image Im in ur base, stalkin ur hoststation


Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

User avatar
medicineman
Firefly
Firefly
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:15 am
Contact:

Re: Urban Assault Orillan Campaign: V1.0 Release

Post by medicineman » Wed May 01, 2019 7:21 pm

CharlotteLabyrinth wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:20 am
I was away from the community for a while, and this magnificent mod in its completed form is finally here! Thank you very much for this great contribution. :D :)

I should definitely try it sometime, love the mod's synopsis and puzzle elements described in the main post. Oh, and wish you good luck with your physics research too!
Thank you! :D
Ormu wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:11 am
I'm about to start playing this but I got some questions and ideas.

The download link has expired. I already have the file but others aren't able to download it now.

There are two sets of icons ("fonts"), one set in the Data/Fonts folder and another set in a separate folder named "Fonts". Which of these are the ones that you meant to be used?

According to the readme file, some large levels are unstable. I didn't check what's wrong with them but one possible explanation is the size which should not exceed 64 sectors in either direction. Even though slight increases such as 65 sectors may seem to work, they can lead to stability problems and are not recommended.
EDIT: download link has been updated.
I was actually not aware of the size limits until about a few months ago so I just kept the levels as they were... aside from the fact that the game crashes if you zoom out on the map, I didn't notice any other issues playing through those two levels. If the map is above a certain area, the power stations may stop working but I didn't run into that here. Perhaps I can shrink the levels a little bit, 70 sectors wide is freaking huge anyway.

I think I screwed up somewhere when making the zip file and added a folder in more than one place. Those should go in set46 as they control the MB icons, game sectors, etc. Let me know if you experience any issues.

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Posts: 863
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:59 pm
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: Urban Assault Orillan Campaign: V1.0 Release

Post by Ormu » Sun May 12, 2019 7:17 pm

medicineman wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:21 pm
CharlotteLabyrinth wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:20 am
I was away from the community for a while, and this magnificent mod in its completed form is finally here! Thank you very much for this great contribution. :D :)

I should definitely try it sometime, love the mod's synopsis and puzzle elements described in the main post. Oh, and wish you good luck with your physics research too!
Thank you! :D
Ormu wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:11 am
I'm about to start playing this but I got some questions and ideas.

The download link has expired. I already have the file but others aren't able to download it now.

There are two sets of icons ("fonts"), one set in the Data/Fonts folder and another set in a separate folder named "Fonts". Which of these are the ones that you meant to be used?

According to the readme file, some large levels are unstable. I didn't check what's wrong with them but one possible explanation is the size which should not exceed 64 sectors in either direction. Even though slight increases such as 65 sectors may seem to work, they can lead to stability problems and are not recommended.
EDIT: download link has been updated.
I was actually not aware of the size limits until about a few months ago so I just kept the levels as they were... aside from the fact that the game crashes if you zoom out on the map, I didn't notice any other issues playing through those two levels. If the map is above a certain area, the power stations may stop working but I didn't run into that here. Perhaps I can shrink the levels a little bit, 70 sectors wide is freaking huge anyway.

I think I screwed up somewhere when making the zip file and added a folder in more than one place. Those should go in set46 as they control the MB icons, game sectors, etc. Let me know if you experience any issues.
Hm, I think the files in the extra folder look like they should be put into \data\fonts\, not set46. But the differences seem to be small so I just discarded the extra folder, and so far the mod is looking great.

However, I found a strange bug. When levels 6 and 7 are available, do any of the following:

-After starting UA, choose level 6, return to the level selection screen, then choose level 7. Level 7 starts without mission briefing.

-After starting UA, choose level 7, return to the level selection screen, then choose level 6. Level 6 starts without mission briefing.

-After starting UA, choose level 6, complete it and beam out. Debriefing does not appear.

A message like this is also printed into ypa_log:

Code: Select all

PARSE ERROR: script levels:single/L0606.ldf line #240 data expected or bogus data.
The file name can be L0707.ldf if it was opened last, and the line number can be something else depending on how this bug was invoked. However, the line seems to be the first line of a Stoudson bomb entry which is usually sec_x.

Now my hypothesis is that 9 Stoudson bombs, as there are in level 6, may be too much. I didn't test this yet, but the developers seem to like powers of two, and some other objects such as beam gates are limited to 8.

As for level sizes, levels that are larger than 64 sectors in either direction may work but are more or less unstable. Similarly, 9 Stoudson bombs seem to work in the game, but exceeding 8 may cause strange problems. This should be tested of course.

I noticed this with UA_xp.exe and I don't know yet if it occurs with the original UA.exe or UA Source.
Image Im in ur base, stalkin ur hoststation


Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

User avatar
medicineman
Firefly
Firefly
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:15 am
Contact:

Re: Urban Assault Orillan Campaign: V1.0 Release

Post by medicineman » Tue May 14, 2019 5:10 am

I think the problem with this is in the new MB map. I'll double check the ldf to make sure I didn't just make a mistake and investigate this further. The game has given me a lot of problems with adding MB maps that aren't perfectly square. This usually results in the level skipping the MB screen. This level was especially difficult in getting to work.

I've successfully played through L6 with the nine bombs, but it's possible that it might create some instabilities (sort of like how you're not supposed to make levels bigger than 65 sectors), so I'll see if removing one of the bombs fixes that too.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests