An archive of older ua2 projects without source code
Anarchid
Weasel
Weasel

Spring Engine

Post by Anarchid » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:17 pm

Hi Stoudson Corp.

I've been thinking several things:

1) UA is old, won't run on many machines (say, multicore vistas) and most platforms (basically it won't run most Windoses even), and has borked multiplayer ("What is NAT?").

2) This is bad. Bause UA == good, and !good == bad. Pure formal logic.

3) There have been several attempts to resurrect it with a new engine, all of them either phailed or not even started proper.

4) However, mods get made for UA.

From this we derive:

1) CONTENT for UA is made by community, but there's just not enough power programmers in Stoudson; so CODE doesn't get written.

2) There is a reason and purpose to reincarnate UA. However, any such attempt would have to concentrate on CONTENT rather than CODE; some existing (probably FOSS) engine would have to be employed/adapted for the purpose.

3) Lurking up, there is Spring RTS. It has first-person modes, and all kinds of fun stuff; you can observe its capabilities, say, here.

4) ???

5) Would anyone here on Stoudson be interested in making an UA-inspired game on Spring Engine? :P

Darth_Cthulhu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Re: Spring Engine

Post by Darth_Cthulhu » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:29 pm

I've got some questions.
What would they think if we use their engine? Have you asked' em?
Could they help us make some features in UA game that would require intense coding?

As for me - i would gladly participate in creating new HD content - textures and models :)
PS i've got vista 64 on quad core and game works...
C++ developer. Failed to learn OGRE and worked in gamedev. Alcoholic and chain-smoker.

Anarchid
Weasel
Weasel

Post by Anarchid » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:12 pm

What would they think if we use their engine? Have you asked' em?
Actually... i kinda did. You can judge the response yourself :P
Could they help us make some features in UA game that would require intense coding?
Depends on the specific features. Anyway, as the link above should have demonstrated, the fact that Spring uses Lua as it's scripting engine does allow for some real haxorage without even getting to the C part of the code.

Whatever the case, at least the advice seems to be given promptly and openly out there; after all, what'd'ya want, it's a FOSS project under GPL.
As for me - i would gladly participate in creating new HD content - textures and models :)
PS i've got vista 64 on quad core and game works...
Well. It also works on my multicore XP, but every time i attempted to tow it to any of several friends i'd like to pwn over net, it crashed without even getting to a mission. And that even on virtual machines on their systems.

However, QEMU did run the game there, albeit with fps ~1, so i assume it's a processor feature. Or just a conspiracy.

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:31 am

Absolutely amazing. It seems all we really have to do is plan the game play and create the images for the game unit/buildings etc. And without even having to really code anything it's all time spent on creating the application and not much debugging. In june/july/august I'll definitely take a look at the spring project and how it's modifications work.

leftylink
Useless Bystander Admin
Useless Bystander Admin

Post by leftylink » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:15 am

Anarchid, though I do not really know how to help you with your multiplayer woes, you have an interesting suggestion. I have indeed heard of the Spring project before while searching for open source games (I dual boot between Linux and Windows, and I needed some games for Linux, lol...) though I don't know if I really was able to understand how the gameplay worked. Oh well, maybe I will spend some more time with it now that you have mentioned it.

Funnily enough, I go against the mold here. I don't really do art, or any of that. I'm much more of a programming guy. But even though I know C++, I can't claim to have anywhere near enough experience to write a game, even if I was assisted by the likes of OGRE, Crystal Space, Irlicht, whateva.... However, creating a mod for the Spring engine should be a little less involved and a little more within feasible reach. It looks like you're off to a good start already! I look forward to seeing what you can do with this! It also looks like you've managed to get some good response on the Spring project forums. That's awesome too! I'm busy these few weeks for robotics but I will lend what support I can to you. And seriously, this is cool stuff... I encourage people to jump into this!
~Leftylink, the former Useless Bystander Admin.
Retired from UA since university. May play again someday...

"SERP RUSH KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE!!!"
"OMG I SAID NO RUSH 15 MINS!!!!!!" *dies*

Proud creator of the Urban Assault Campaign Guides [Resistance] [Ghorkov] [Taerkasten], the Urban Assault LDF Reader, and the Excel maps

Anarchid
Weasel
Weasel

Post by Anarchid » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:22 am

It seems all we really have to do is plan the game play and create the images for the game unit/buildings etc.
Not images, mostly rather models; still - content; not code :P

Meanwhile, i bumped t3h mod to version 0.13, it actually has the city now for you to demolish if you care to get Spring and learn to use it :P

leftylink
Useless Bystander Admin
Useless Bystander Admin

Post by leftylink » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:31 am

You might have to help me out here; I'm a noob with this stuff.

I went and downloaded some maps I found on spring-portal.com (not sure if they're any good at all), and I got your mod off of the link you posted. I have maps and a mod, but I don't know what script to run to get it working. Any help?
I'll keep experimenting...
~Leftylink, the former Useless Bystander Admin.
Retired from UA since university. May play again someday...

"SERP RUSH KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE!!!"
"OMG I SAID NO RUSH 15 MINS!!!!!!" *dies*

Proud creator of the Urban Assault Campaign Guides [Resistance] [Ghorkov] [Taerkasten], the Urban Assault LDF Reader, and the Excel maps

Anarchid
Weasel
Weasel

Post by Anarchid » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:57 pm

You might have to help me out here; I'm a noob with this stuff.

I went and downloaded some maps I found on spring-portal.com (not sure if they're any good at all), and I got your mod off of the link you posted. I have maps and a mod, but I don't know what script to run to get it working. Any help?
I'll keep experimenting...
As i assume you're under Windows, use the TASClient program included in the bundle, click "single player" when it loads, there "skirmish" and choose the mod. You'll see a game setup with an option to add (as many as you want) bots - add one controlled by either Laims(LOS) or Laims(Omniscient), as the rest haven't a clue about UA mechanics(Laims stands for "Lua AI for Metropolis Spring". The LOS version is visibility-fair and Omniscient cheats by accounting all enemy units on map for its RABID HATE mechanism). Then click the "mod options" tab, and set "Urban population density" anywhere over zero (4 is about one building per sector) if you want to have collateral damage; set the amount of sectors the map will be sliced into, set whether you want to see all neutral buildings even when they're not in LOS, and set whether you want the UA-style "host station destroyed" mechanics that will give the dead man's sectors and conquerables over to their killer.

Of course, you'll need to put the map in Spring/maps folder, and the mod in Spring/mods before launching the lobby program - or you won't even see it on the list. If you're under Vista and have "user access control", or however Microsoft called their impression of Unix user priveleges, turned on - don't try to use the Archive Mover and just clicking on .sdz: Vista will deny Archive Mover the right to move the archive to your Spring directory, but it will allow to move it from the original location. So what will happen in reality is called "doubleclick deletion" :)

If you're under Windows, i'd also recommend setting "start positions" to fixed, since this will prevent all players spawning in one spot :P

Under Linux the default lobby app is "SpringLobby", but it has the same basic controls.

Back to the part of evil plans to take over the world. If this mod does succeed into luring anyone but me into developing it, it'll need a platform, something like a forum and svn... Now, there isn't much activity here on Stoudson besides this recently, and you do have SVN :P

Plummad
Firefly
Firefly

Post by Plummad » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:14 am

I'm having a problem. I try and load it up and it goes onto "connecting to server" or something...it counts to 45 and then goes back to a distorted menu screen. I've got the mod in the right place...but I don't know if the maps I'm using are right or wrong or whatever...

Help?
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/GhorkovUB1.png[/img] ://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/TheResistanceUB1.png[/img]

://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t318/Al-Khabir/UrbanAssaultSig3.gif[/img]

Anarchid
Weasel
Weasel

Post by Anarchid » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:26 pm

Latest Spring seems to have issues with playing on localhost.

You can bypass them either by hosting a game on the server (and thus also promoting t3h mod), or starting a game from its core executable (spring.exe under windows).

Also, you can grab the slightly newer version of the mod here (just don't use the darkstars.co.uk mirror), so Ostwinds will actually counter them myko sticks :P