[Release] Urban Assault Level editor

For those of us who are curious and like to poke around in the game's data files and scripts as well as glitching. Caters to anything from unit/building stats to level data to telling how to glitch and stories of game errors.
Ydro
Firefly
Firefly

[Release] Urban Assault Level editor

Post by Ydro » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:22 pm

Hi everyone,
After couple months of development I want to share fruit of my work.
I've been reading these forums before to see if there are some tools for non-technical
users to make their own maps with no knowledge about level file structure.
I've found one tool in the ftp page but its functionality is pretty limited,
mainly because of lack of loading an existing level and some restrictions regarding to
squad/hoststation positioning. This is why I've created my own level editor with
extended possibilities and compatibility with modern systems.

As I get more familiar with programming I wanted to make use of it and make
something more ambitious to get more experience so this what I've done so far.
Urban Assault is one of my childhood games that I've been fascinating for years.
I found out that old games like doom or quake are still alive because they have
decent level editors that are still in use by communities which makes them everlasting.
I hope that my tool will be useful and make the UA mapping/modding more easier.

Because I've made this editor with pure java, it should be compatible with all
modern operating systems(Windows/Linux/MacOS) so all you need is
Java runtime environment which can be easily downloaded from official site.

You will be able to:
- create completely a new level with desired dimensions
- open all the existing levels (including original ones)
- easily position hoststations and squads just by dragging them
- instantly check the appearance(typ map) of selected sectors in level manager
- change hoststation for player
- randomly generate appearance of all sectors
and more :D

It doesn't work with md expansion levels yet.
If you have any remarks, ideas or if you find any bugs then don't hesitate to post it :D

The file is packed with a lot of uncompressed images this is why it's size is over 120MB

Windows version:
https://mega.nz/#!iUVChCrR!j_5hUwlcH-9u ... 0LnFVTED6w

Cross platfrom version:
https://mega.nz/#!HUMAAKoI!3Rux32e_Waq2 ... Ut7FFx5KnU

Have fun!
Attachments
uale4.jpg
uale3.jpg
uale1.jpg
Last edited by Ydro on Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 2 Skorpio (Global Moderator)

Re: [Release] Urban Assault Level editor

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:38 am

Hello Ydro. Firstly, thank you for your valuable contribution! A level editor like this will undoubtedly be a great addition to UA community.

Since many of us modders are accustomed to build levels through a text editor, which was the method even endorsed by the developers as mentioned in their documentations, I wholeheartedly agree that such a complicated method of creating levels caused many people without modding knowledge to become easily discouraged from designing levels in UA.

Admittedly, the unreleased official 3D level editor for Urban Assault (WINDSGN.exe) was quite unstable and cumbersome to create levels efficiently, and that custom-made level compiler (I think this is what you're referring to) was indeed incomplete and lacked many basic functions from its author.

There is another level editor with 3D rendering support developed by Ormu, which I believe was written in Python. However, I'm not sure if this level editor was ever released to the public...

I assume Metropolis Dawn levels are unsupported because of their independent data & scripts structure from the original UA? As I believe MD adds a few more vehicle and building types, but the sector definitions for each set are identical to the original game.

I will test this level editor later, and see if i can make any suggestions or a bug report. From the screenshots, it appears that the coordinates in the editor do not correspond directly to the game engine by your own design choice, am I correct?
;--------------------------------------------------
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;
„ Helfen - Wehren - Heilen “

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I have absolutely no affiliation whatsoever with that!

Ydro
Firefly
Firefly

Post by Ydro » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:56 pm

Thank you, I'm glad that I was able to contribute and bring something valuable!

Editing a level with text editor was somehow dull method for me and testing every change, values, coords doesn't always bring desired effects. I've created this for beginners to have vast possibilities for their creativity as well as for experienced modders to conveniently edit any specific part of their level.

The coordinates that I applied here are specific to the rendering method of this editor. It uses math formula that calculates coords in the editor to values that are compatible by the game engine during the saving process.
Likewise if you open a level, the coords inside the file are parsed and calculated accordingly to editor's values. This is not 100% accurate because of a slight distortion caused by lower numbers used in this coord method.
However the differences between values in editor and original files are barely noticeable visually so I think it is bearable. If you save an original level with this editor second time, everything will be exactly the same.
Height values of hoststations are intact except I had to include a minus sign.

MD expansion uses a little different data and will take more time to investigate all the IDs and modify the code to switch between two modes.
Perhaps I will implement it in the future :D

CharlotteLabyrinth

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:40 pm

I was quite busy recently and totally forgot to check this! :D

Sorry about the delay, I'll try to test it and perhaps make a report in the next few days if possible.
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;
„ Helfen - Wehren - Heilen “

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I have absolutely no affiliation whatsoever with that!

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:14 pm

I'll try this at some point. The screenshots look really good and I agree that this will be a very valuable tool to all content creators. Hopefully someone with an active campaign or level design project notices this too.

I think it's actually quite impressive how people have made so many great levels over the years using only a text editor. But a proper level editor is definitely a great improvement. While we now have windsgn.exe at our disposal, I agree with CharlotteLabyrinth that it's somewhat cumbersome to use.

Do you plan to add support for multiplayer levels? While the multiplayer scene is really inactive nowadays, there may be a small revival once Zidane adds multiplayer support into UA_source.

Metropolis Dawn uses the same sets of sectors as the original campaign, but some vehicle and building (not sector) numbers may be different. This applies to multiplayer as well. A more comprehensive solution is to load the needed information dynamically from the game folder.
Im in ur base, stalkin ur hoststation

Ydro
Firefly
Firefly

Post by Ydro » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:07 pm

I've quickly checked the MD expansion levels' structures to see how many things are there to consider. Indeed, there are just different IDs of vehicles and buildings to analyse since I couldn't find any docs.

Multiplayer is not my priority right now as I see that players do not really play it but we will see what happens after UA source with multiplayer support comes out.