Game Data Trivia

For those of us who are curious and like to poke around in the game's data files and scripts as well as glitching. Caters to anything from unit/building stats to level data to telling how to glitch and stories of game errors.
CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 2 Skorpio (Global Moderator)

Game Data Trivia

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:30 pm

UPDATE: This thread is now for a general trivia discussion about game data/files! This thread is not for accurate analyses or organising detailed information about particular topics, but more of a playground for sharing random ideas including reminders and note-to-self materials for a future reference. :mrgreen:

Been thinking about updating wiki pages for a general cleanup and rectifying incomplete/outdated info. Especially, I wonder if some unfinished articles such as faction specific tactics pages are even necessary at all with such messy format and lack of quality contents... ;)

Anyways, on topic. I'm pretty sure what I'm going to write is simply not documented properly yet, and some people might be well aware of this already. It's about 'LEGO' files.

The way game handles LEGO files (which have hardcoded routines into executable) is really quite simple; take 'LEGO16.ilb' as an example: Imagine the whole LEGO16.ilb image (256x256 in size) is divided into smaller 16x16 sized 'cells', and each cell is assigned with numbers starting from top-left to bottom-right.

This will label each cell in a matrix like:

00 01 02 ... 13 14 15
16 17 18 ... 29 30 31
32 33 34 ... 45 46 47

... and so on.

This gives total 256 cells occupying unique coordinates in the image with numbers ranging from 0 to 255. :arrow: Simply use these cell numbers to determine coordinates of icons for objects that will appear on the map in sector definition files. I presume other LEGO files for different map sizes follow the same logic, only with different pixel scales.

For a large 3x3 (48x48 in size) icon to be used, the sector type may require to be set '1' (single subsector), and the top-left cell number of the large icon should be assigned. This requires further investigation, any mistake corrections in the post are always welcome.

Also, I think a building's raw durability value is 224; and the damage threshold required to initially capture a power station structure is 128... This is of course further modified by shield values of buildings so, for example, a structure with 92 shield value will withstand 2800 points of damage before going through a destruction sequence. :idea: Combined with '4 damage minimum' rule, theoretically a single building sequence could withstand maximum 56 shots from a weapon that can actually capture and damage it...
;------------------------
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;

„ Helfen - Wehren - Heilen “
Special thanks to CERNBox!

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I have absolutely no affiliation whatsoever with that!

CharlotteLabyrinth

Re: Game Data Trivia

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:20 pm

Just wondering... Has anyone played around with these parameters in NUCLEUS.ini?

Code: Select all

gfx.dither					; Dithering?
gfx.antialias					; Anti-aliasing?
gfx.filter
gfx.alpha
gfx.zbuf_when_tracy				; Z-Buffering?
gfx.force_emul
gfx.use_draw_primitive				; DrawPrimitive?
gfx.force_alpha_textures			; 16-bit Textures?
gfx.disable_lowres
Some descriptions are quite obvious about their functions, others not so much. Interestingly, changing their values seem to have made my ultrabook to run UA in software mode without anymore glitches! :shock: Take it with a grain of salt however, there might have been other factors contributed that I probably missed...
;
;

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I have absolutely no affiliation whatsoever with that!

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:13 pm

Lego information should definitely be put into the wiki!

I think I may have tried some of those graphics options but I don't remember seeing significant differences. Perhaps I didn't pay very much attention to the details.

DrawPrimitive is configured elsewhere so that setting may be a default setting, or it may override the other setting when enabled.

disable_lowres might be related to this:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1140
Im in ur base, stalkin ur hoststation

CharlotteLabyrinth

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:24 am

Very interesting! :mrgreen: I will have to test more with these options later.
;
;

CharlotteLabyrinth

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:42 pm

Does anyone know the exact criteria that triggers the contact flag ('jodiefoster') in the user.txt? I thought the boolean values change accordingly when you complete any first mission where you encounter a certain faction.

Recently I started a new playthrough and completed some missions, but even after I finished the first three levels with Mykonians in them (Hard Thing, No-Man's-Land, Two Hills), the contact flag for faction 3 in this particular playthrough doesn't seem to be updated in my current progress. Therefore, the game constantly shows Mykonian 'Enemy Alert' video for other Mykonian levels...

This is quite unusual. I assume there's some external factors which might have affected this? I've always destroyed every enemy host station in my current progress with my own vehicles, too.

EDIT: I believe I found the cause... Explained in the next post.
;
;

CharlotteLabyrinth

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:32 am

While testing the new changes in the debriefing sequence of the latest UA_Source.exe, I figured out the cause of this issue. It is not just the contact flag, but some other parts of user.txt (such as playerstatus) seem to get affected as well if players do the following:

1) Save the game just before beaming out, then exit the level via Beam Gate. This action updates the contact flag and the number of a new encountered faction will be saved.

2) After the debriefing sequence, reload the last saved game from the level selection screen. This will obviously put players back into their last save point before beaming out from the level.

3) When the saved game of the already completed level is re-loaded, players' former record of this particular level will be reset, and the level is reverted back to an incomplete status in user.txt, until the players beam out once again.

4) Beaming out from the same level again apparently restores the players' former progress of the level up until the save point, and a new record will be written for an interval between the save point and the new beam out moment. While doing so, it seems to cause the contact flag to lose its track.

I guess this happened to me multiple times because I frequently re-loaded the finished levels in the interest of testing debriefing logics and time calculations as we discussed in another topic...

This issue doesn't seem to occur if players access the finished levels normally by clicking on them over the level selection screen, which I believe the game loads *.fin files instead *.rst or *.sgm files.
;
;

CharlotteLabyrinth

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:05 pm

The 'jodiefoster' issue happened once again! Today, I started a new playthrough to further investigate the Contact Flag issue, and the mission Surprise! didn't updated the Taerkasten's contact flag after completing the level. I did not re-loaded the saved game from the finished mission ('sgisold.txt') this time, so there must be something else triggering this.

While testing the game, I did the following actions: restarted the mission right after the mission start; restarted the mission after destroying both Ghorkov host stations; restarted the mission after destroying all host stations including Taerkasten Flying Fortress; saved and re-loaded the game after going back to the level selection screen, and then restarted the mission once again.

It is quite inefficient to figure this out through a trial-end-error methodology, but definitely something worth investigating further in future!
;
;

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:10 pm

CharlotteLabyrinth wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:20 pm
Just wondering... Has anyone played around with these parameters in NUCLEUS.ini?

gfx.dither					; Dithering?
gfx.antialias					; Anti-aliasing?
gfx.filter
gfx.alpha
gfx.zbuf_when_tracy				; Z-Buffering?
gfx.force_emul
gfx.use_draw_primitive				; DrawPrimitive?
gfx.force_alpha_textures			; 16-bit Textures?
gfx.disable_lowres
Some descriptions are quite obvious about their functions, others not so much. Interestingly, changing their values seem to have made my ultrabook to run UA in software mode without anymore glitches! :shock: Take it with a grain of salt however, there might have been other factors contributed that I probably missed...
I tried this:

gfx.force_emul = yes
It forces software rendering mode. Not very exciting but might be useful on some very old computers.

There's a hidden option as well, it's documented in the leaked prototype package:

gfx.export_window_mode = yes
This enables windowed modes. But when I tried it, only one mode was available - 320x200 in hardware rendering mode - and the game crashed when I tried to play it.
Im in ur base, stalkin ur hoststation

CharlotteLabyrinth

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:48 am

For some reason I think these options might be helpful for debugging the 4k resolution patch in software rendering mode...

I also found that Word document from the prototype package which, among many others, contain information about some of the Nucleus.ini parameters. It's good to know that the built-in functionality for the hidden native windowed mode option is still available in the final version of the game engine!
;
;

CharlotteLabyrinth

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:48 pm

The sizes of the rotating unit models rendered in the briefing sequence are entirely dependent on their radius sizes in the scripts. The smaller the vehicle radius is, the larger the model will be rendered.

Now this fact alone is nothing special, but has anyone ever attempted to hack this in the executable?
;
;