Me, and some forum history.

New here? Introduce yourself to all the fellow Urban Assault players here! (Post counts do not increase in this forum)
leftylink
Useless Bystander Admin
Useless Bystander Admin

Me, and some forum history.

Post by leftylink » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:58 am

Yes, I figured it is about time you got to know your Useless Bystander Admin, me.

Well, I found a computer game in my dad's closet about seven years ago, and I saw that the game was called Urban Assault. I didn't know about the game, but I read the description on the box and it looked interesting, and I asked him if I could have it, and he said sure! So I got to installing it, and thus my adventures with Urban Assault began. At first I was quite bad at the game, but through practice and experience with the single-player campaign, I've become better, I would hope...

I also looked online for tips, and thus I figured out how to edit .rst files so that when I restarted a level, every single sector on the map would become mine! I also figured out how to mod my host station's energy, some of my units' armor, weapons, etc. and enable units. As a result of this knowledge, I created a file listing the stats of each unit (its weapon attack, reload time, energy, shields, etc.)

I also remember the days with the TerraTools website, where they had a detailed level guide for every single level in the Resistance Campaign, giving strategies of how to beat them. The site disappeared, so I thought "Well, I'll write my own guide!". I started to learn about how Urban Assault's .LDF files worked. Using them, I created my guide for the Resistance Campaign, with my suggested strategies for beating the game, information on which levels led to which, and what vehicles/buildings the enemy factions would use. It was great, but my knowledge about game had only begun...

Maybe two years ago, I searched for an Urban Assault forum, and I came across UAHQ. It wasn't very active, so I didn't post there, and I forgot about it, maybe visiting it once every three months or so. My first post on those forums was on May 5th 2007. On those forums back then I also discussed my least favorite level, Sulog's Fine Thread, and shared a part of my Urban Assault guide, as well as asked for Metropolis Dawn. Fra offered it to me, but it would be a while before he could finally transfer everything to me.

Through reading these forums, I also realized that there was a wealth of information stored in .SCR files, and I began to look into them, improving on my Unit Stats listings, and experimenting with modding the game.

Then a few weeks later, on May 24th 2007, Fra posted that he and a newer member, Al-Khabir, had created a new forum for discussion of Urban Assault. This was the phpBB2 version of the ForumsVibe forums, http://urbanassault.forumsvibe.com . I quickly joined the new forums, eager to be a part of a discussion group that was better-managed and newer than UAHQ. I posted my unit stats threads for each forum, and because of this contribution, Al-Khabir and Fra made me an admin, along with the two of them. Another helpful member O Y ME was also made a global moderator. I served as an administrator for some time, before stepping down in late July 2007 due to time/commitment issues. I became a global moderator and O Y ME became administrator in my place.

While on these forums, I also wrote and posted Level Guides for the Ghorkov and Taerkasten Campaigns, and in what I consider my best achievement for UA, I more closely analyzed .LDF files and created Excel Maps for all levels in Urban Assault.

All was well for a while, until the spambots came in... automated spambots could get past phpBB2's visual verification by scanning the image and reading it, automatically bypassing visual verification and registering themselves as users, creating hundreds of users intending to advertise products such as Rolex watches, pirated computer software, and "male enhancement" drugs. Sometimes, a few of them were even able to post spam messages on the forum. I tried to get everyone to upgrade to phpBB3, but Al-Khabir had mysteriously disappeared due to internet connection issues, and I was removed from the staff. In the end, however, I was able to contact Al-Khabir and obtain his permission to upgrade to phpBB3, and thus we moved to http://urbanassault.1.forumsvibe.com on Feb 22nd 2008.

On those forums, Al-Khabir stepped down due to his unavailability, while O Y ME and I were administrators, with Fra becoming a global moderator because he had less time to help administrate the forums. Sometime during this period, I named myself the Useless Bystander Admin due to my intense laziness and the fact that sometimes real life kept me busy so that I could not work on the forums, making it look like I had abandoned everyone. I was able to install a new style on the forums, but as time went on, it was found that I could not create ranks for users (vehicles that improve as your post counts go up), new smilies, or even a logo for the forum! Having forumsvibe host the forums was becoming a big problem.

Because of all that, on June 27th, 2008, I started having people move to the current forums https://forums.metropolisdawn.com . The domain and web-hosting for the forum were provided by GoldStar611 who continues to support us. After this move, we've had more control over the forum, and I've been able to actually add ranks and a logo, and all that good stuff! So far, everything has been going smoothly, and it is where we are today.

Enough about the forums... now about me...

As I've hinted to, I'm kind of lazy, but I know when something needs to be done and I'll give my best efforts to get it done. Related to that, I have an easygoing personality, and I try to remain calm and happy.
I need to learn to be more terse, because when I want to say something I'll start out with something simple but then I want to add on to it and elaborate and add more details to clarify, and in the end it becomes much longer than I had ever imagined in the beginning.
My favorite color is blue or clear, my favorite number is 19, my favorite animal is the swordfish, and I love spicy foods. I like math, science, computers, and programming. I try to be a happy person and I usually think life's pretty good! :)
~Leftylink, the former Useless Bystander Admin.
Retired from UA since university. May play again someday...

"SERP RUSH KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE!!!"
"OMG I SAID NO RUSH 15 MINS!!!!!!" *dies*

Proud creator of the Urban Assault Campaign Guides [Resistance] [Ghorkov] [Taerkasten], the Urban Assault LDF Reader, and the Excel maps

Building
Jaguar
Jaguar

Re: Me, and some forum history.

Post by Building » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:29 am

i think you are the most useful useless bystander admin,a great person and valuable for the forum! :)

leftylink
Useless Bystander Admin
Useless Bystander Admin

Post by leftylink » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:11 am

I probably need to edit the forum history of this one to reflect more recent news, because ForumsVibe has now imploded and disappeared. Oh well...
~Leftylink, the former Useless Bystander Admin.
Retired from UA since university. May play again someday...

"SERP RUSH KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE!!!"
"OMG I SAID NO RUSH 15 MINS!!!!!!" *dies*

Proud creator of the Urban Assault Campaign Guides [Resistance] [Ghorkov] [Taerkasten], the Urban Assault LDF Reader, and the Excel maps

garry's waffle
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by garry's waffle » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:39 am

Whoa whoa whoa.. Lefty's journal entry.

i always thought you are an official person. nice literature.

didn't know you were later than Fra666. ;)

i always wondered what they were 'Unregistered'.

ha spambot.. that was reason of why we cannot see picture at UAHQ.

originally i am really chilling person. at least in reality. also i have extremely big disaster.

the terminal patient of paranoia, this really kills me. i was liked to learn math or science or

something related to theorem or logic but now i just keep in the house and just play computer.

reffered as no lifer.

Roland985
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Roland985 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:08 pm

A very interesting recount. The amount of administrators that either block everything or allow all seem to be increasing exponentially. Compared to some I have seen, you are not that bad...

Ah the spam bots, short of typing four letter words, I would like to say, what company would allow their potential customers be be bugged It creates name brand recognition yes, but for the worst. I go out of my way to buy from companies that do NOT constantly bug their potential customers.

Speaking of ads, how come this board has none?

--EDIT--

Ah, goldstar pays for it!

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:05 pm

Roland985 wrote:
Ah, goldstar pays for it!
Well you know, I needed some webspace for myself and always found ads annoying. The amount of CGI/server programming I do now is very minimal so my best excuse for keeping my domain name is for the forums. It's not a whole lot -- I pay off the bill in a few days work each year. I have to congradulate Lefty and the other admins (whereever they are). I remember when forumsvibe was up and lefty and I started this as a "back up" And eventually it took off after the forumsvibe died out. I wouldn't have been able to do it without his help. ;)

Roland985
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Roland985 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:32 am

How big is the forum (in GB) itself?. Because I am looking at building a server next year, for when I start Certificate IV in InfoTech, as a pet project, a small backup forum or maybe storing files... I dunno, but it is just a suggestion...