UA screenshot keys

For general topics about Urban Assault and any Urban Assault-related topic that doesn't fit anywhere else. If you're not sure, it probably goes in here.
Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

UA screenshot keys

Post by Ormu » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:09 pm

This is not completely new information but I found out how to use these in the original UA or any other campaign. Also, credits to Zidane for finding the "replay" files function.

To enable screenshot and possible other extra keys in UA, open world.ini (located in /data/ or in the active env directory if ua_xp is used with custom env path, or even in the active data directory - I don't know the search order of this file). Find the begin_misc section, usually located in the beginning of the file, and put this line under that section:

Code: Select all

easy_cheat_keys = 1
A directory named "snaps" must be present in the active env directory to take screenshots. The official Ghorkov and Taerkasten expansions have this option enabled by default.

To take a screenshot, press * on the numpad.
To start recording a sequence of screenshots, press / on the numpad.

Note that the screenshots should be moved out of the snaps directory before restarting UA, because the screenshot counter seems to reset when UA is closed. This causes the old screenshots to get overwritten.

A funny thing is that the screenshots are saved in PPM format if hardware rendering is used but in PCX format if software rendering is used. XnView can open both formats. In hardware rendering mode, the sequence slows UA down. In software rendering mode, it works somewhat faster.

Sometimes a bunch of other files with a .raw extension may be saved in the snaps directory. These are replays of some sort as was found out by Zidane. You can also save these files by holding down the right mouse button and pressing the minus key (-). It's currently unknown how to replay these files.

Now an interesting question is: Are there any other hidden keys?

Older discussion:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=42&p=8428#p8428

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=752&p=14806#p14806

Zidane's post in which he explains the replays:

viewtopic.php?f=13&p=16718#p16717
Im in ur base, stalkin ur hoststation

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Re: UA screenshot keys

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:08 pm

Masterly discovery as always! It is really great to know that UA engine innately offers a conventional support (Not only with Ua_xp.exe, but also with UA.exe) for these functions. Especially a recording part is totally new to me. :idea:

At this point, I am not even sure why developers did not made these functions available to users by default in the final release...? (No seriously, now I am genuinely curious how many wonderful things out there that TerraTools decided to 'hide' from players?)

I will have to definitely check this out. By the way, how did you find this line? :P

easy_cheat_keys = 1
Also an Off-Topic question: Ormu, have you tried that 'SWEAPON' cheat which supposedly enables Evilfurz with this line being in effect? We all know that it never had any real effect in any known version of the game... But only the developers will know...
;--------------------------------------------------
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;
;--------------------------------------------------
„ Helfen - Wehren - Heilen “

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Re: UA screenshot keys

Post by Ormu » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:19 pm

CharlotteLabyrinth wrote:Masterly discovery as always! It is really great to know that UA engine innately offers a conventional support (Not only with Ua_xp.exe, but also with UA.exe) for these functions. Especially a recording part is totally new to me. :idea:

At this point, I am not even sure why developers did not made these functions available to users by default in the final release...? (No seriously, now I am genuinely curious how many wonderful things out there that TerraTools decided to 'hide' from players?)

I will have to definitely check this out. By the way, how did you find this line? :P

easy_cheat_keys = 1
Also an Off-Topic question: Ormu, have you tried that 'SWEAPON' cheat which supposedly enables Evilfurz with this line being in effect? We all know that it never had any real effect in any known version of the game... But only the developers will know...
I found this by looking at the world.ini files provided with the Ghorkov and Taerkasten campaigns. They have that option enabled by default.

The sequence recording seems to actually work quite fast on a modern computer. I tested it first on my old computer which isn't very powerful.

The "SWEAPON" cheat is a mystery. It's listed on many cheat sites for a game named "Urban Assault" but I haven't heard anyone getting it to work.

I tried it with the option enabled, with both shift and right mouse button, but neither worked. Or at least I didn't see any changes. I even tried to unassign the P key as it pauses the game by default, but nothing happened.

Perhaps Zidane's reverse engineering project will provide the final answer...
Im in ur base, stalkin ur hoststation