Something is doing

For general topics about Urban Assault and any Urban Assault-related topic that doesn't fit anywhere else. If you're not sure, it probably goes in here.
Zidane
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Re: Something is doing

Post by Zidane » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:23 am

Now implemented tank and ufo classes and added sound support based on OpenAL but used old computations(vol and pan).
Music not implemented yet.
Fixed many bugs (thanks https://scan.coverity.com/ and dr. Memory http://drmemory.org )
合体! ライオカイザー

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:54 am

Zidane,

You are doing a wonderful job with your open_ua sources! Many apologies for not making our April Fools joke happen as you suggested via PM. It seems that we were all quite surprised anyway :p :p

We look forward to bringing UA to 2016 and beyond with your help.

Zidane
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Zidane » Sat May 21, 2016 3:45 am

Last news.
All units was implemented, however some minor related code are missing

Also some bugs were noticed:
1. Some missiles vibrations occured due IDA miss few float-point variables and rotation matrix mathematics was incorrect.[fixed]
2. Sometimes tank units code do 0.0/0.0. This behavior was handled but in original this not occur. [Stopgap]
3. On windows tank units start shaking after driving over not plain surfaces. Looks like lose precision. If compile with sse mathematics flag all goes OK. It's not portable and may produce some unexpected errors. [working on it]
4. I broke my left arm. :V [not fixed yet]
合体! ライオカイザー

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Sun May 22, 2016 11:04 am

Zidane wrote: 3. On windows tank units start shaking after driving over not plain surfaces. Looks like lose precision. If compile with sse mathematics flag all goes OK. It's not portable and may produce some unexpected errors. [working on it]
This sounds interesting. Was this your bug or do you think it exist in the original game code?

I've noticed that sometimes when driving a tank (in the original game) the screen gets a bit blurry, as if the tank was vibrating somehow. Could this be related to what you have found?
Im in ur base, stalkin ur hoststation

Zidane
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Zidane » Sun May 22, 2016 11:56 am

Ormu wrote: This sounds interesting. Was this your bug or do you think it exist in the original game code?

I've noticed that sometimes when driving a tank (in the original game) the screen gets a bit blurry, as if the tank was vibrating somehow. Could this be related to what you have found?
Hmm, I think it's same bugs, but in original game rotation matrix loses precision slower. In original game rotations stored only as rotation matrix and it can collect errors. For moving to euler angles we must rewrite all rotation-related routines. To do this we must explain what's going on in all places.
合体! ライオカイザー

Zidane
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Zidane » Tue May 24, 2016 5:23 am

Yeah
I found this terrible bug. It's.... bug of my version(may be not) of OpenAL for windows.
It's sets FPU into rounding toward zero mode in alcCreateContext and don't back into rounding to nearest mode.
合体! ライオカイザー

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Tue May 24, 2016 3:42 pm

Anything that confuses tanks to lose their loci causes the quivering screen thing. Tanks constantly colliding with objects while navigating through irregularly surfaced terrains, rugged building craters or even (although less likely) small spaces between dense building structures could be the cause of an issue, but it also includes shaking effects upon weapon explosion from 'shk_explode' function defined in the weapon scripts.

In my case, it normally happens when (heavy) tanks are advancing through abovementioned locations WHILE sustaining heavy barrage from 'concussive' weapons that cause strong trembling effects; such as rapid-fire missiles from AA tanks (i.e. Weasel / Speedy / Ostwind / 0815 weapons) or Ghorkov Flak Station rockets. There may be an additional correlation between individual tanks' physical properties that causes it to happen more frequently, presumably lower maxrot combined with higher mass and drag values. (Past reference at the last of this post, although not clarified)

Perhaps it comes from a sort of inconsistency in delivery of information between player-controlled vehicles and AI-controlled vehicles. We already know that the original game applies separate physical models when units are occupied by users (vwr_radius and vwr_overeof, a.k.a viewer (user) models), and this means every time players attempt to take direct control of vehicles it will temporarily override the current interaction of AI vehicles with nearby environments. Doing this quickly back and forth tends to result in 'undesirable' outcomes such as tanks at the edge of sectors falling down cliffs (Which AI tanks can't do by themselves) or even get stuck into some random craters or rocks. It is not hard to notice that vehicles behave somewhat differently for a very short time when players take direct control of them. Also since the vibrating glitch is not externally visible from third-person view, there is no way for users to check if it also happens identically to AI-controlled vehicles and somehow affects their perfomance.

Now Zidane is referring about the rotation matrix, this might have something to do with the original game dealing with its orthogonalization mechanism... Also in the original game, tank units gradually lose their precision (very slightly; seemingly at the floating point level) over timespan when they remain idle, and the degree of focal displacement depends on their maxrot values.
Zidane wrote:4. I broke my left arm. :V [not fixed yet]
Ouch... I hope your left arm feels better soon. :)
;--------------------------------------------------
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;
„ Helfen - Wehren - Heilen “

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!

Zidane
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Zidane » Wed May 25, 2016 5:08 am

Zidane wrote:Yeah
I found this terrible bug. It's.... bug of my version(may be not) of OpenAL for windows.
It's sets FPU into rounding toward zero mode in alcCreateContext and don't back into rounding to nearest mode.
Finally it's mingw bug: https://sourceforge.net/p/mingw-w64/bugs/541/
合体! ライオカイザー

Zidane
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Zidane » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:27 am

It's original game functionality https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMXC8_LvFBk

Rename your m****.raw into demo***.raw and wait 200 sec on title screen.

Space/Escape - exit
UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT/A/Z and mouse(after right click) for camera manipulations.
Right mouse button + F9 - additional info
S - pause
P - resume play
R - go to first frame
b/n -/+ 1 frame
v/m -/+ 10 frames

Yeah, UA has demo player
合体! ライオカイザー

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:16 pm

Zidane wrote:It's original game functionality https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMXC8_LvFBk

Rename your m****.raw into demo***.raw and wait 200 sec on title screen.

Space/Escape - exit
UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT/A/Z and mouse(after right click) for camera manipulations.
Right mouse button + F9 - additional info
S - pause
P - resume play
R - go to first frame
b/n -/+ 1 frame
v/m -/+ 10 frames

Yeah, UA has demo player
... ABSOLUTELY magnificent! :awsm:

The options for controlling footage are rather comprehensive as well, perfect.

Now this will also greatly help me to test levels without using owner = 0 scouts all the time...
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;
„ Helfen - Wehren - Heilen “

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!