Something is doing

For general topics about Urban Assault and any Urban Assault-related topic that doesn't fit anywhere else. If you're not sure, it probably goes in here.
Zidane
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Re: Something is doing

Post by Zidane » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:05 am

合体! ライオカイザー

MarioSDU6/SDU7
Slime Lord
Slime Lord

Post by MarioSDU6/SDU7 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:46 am

Zidane wrote:New funny bug
https://youtu.be/o2eIxcYjqlM
Lol, Firefly Overload, it's like a massive Bee swarm from a hive. :lol: One single click, and all Fireflies multiply infinitely. Well, Firefly galore! XD
Intense Mod progress (it includes tests):
Resistance 100% done
Demo version uncertain fate
New Ghorkov and Taerkasten 100% done

Factions of choice: Resistance, Ghorkovs, Taerkastens

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:08 am

Looong Off-Topic materials... I'm really, really sorry Zidane for hijacking a thread... :oops:
MarioSDU6/SDU7 wrote:Some of the scripts, such as "radius_tank", "radius_heli" never take effect no matter which values have, and only "radius" value takes account.
I would like to point out that 'radius_(type)' parameters in weapon scripts are functional in the game. 'radius_(type)' are AI specific functions that only apply to AI's weapon managements and are one of the key elements to control AI behaviours. The modifiers are used to modify weapons to employ 'dummy' radius on to targets (Yes, it is calculated by the weapons, not from the units using them) when the AI controls units, but the actual radius of the target is not increased. In other words, it determines how wide AI-controlled units will start firing their weapons against a specific type of enemy units. :arrow:

For example, adjusting Dragonfly's weapon to have 'radius_tank = 1000' will dramatically increase Dragonfly's effectiveness against tanks since it will make Dragonfly's weapon to deem every tank targets have a radius of 1000. Therefore, it will allow Dragonflies to fire more rockets towards enemy tanks even before directly aiming at them. But of course there is no practical difference in the actual volume of tank hit-boxes.

However, it is not always the case for other units as not every weapons have a fast rate of fire. In fact, weapons with a slow rate of fire would benefit more from smaller values as what they would prefer is a single accurate shot. For instance, Hornet's weapon fires rather slow under AI controls. If the 'radius_tank' value in Hornet's weapon is set too high, Hornets will fire their missiles even before properly aiming at enemy tanks so the chances are missing their targets. :)

The functions are especially useful for fighter planes as most of their weapons already have higher tracking abilities, yet the planes are unable to fire their weapons amply enough mostly due to height differences between air units from various reasons (height differences in scripts, building collisions/climb ups .etc). Increasing 'radius_heli' and 'radius_flyer' of Tien-Ying 7's and Myko Air Stick's weapons to very high numbers can turn them into true killing machines against other air units as they will amply unleash their rapid firing missiles all over the place. Ying or Hetzel would benefit from higher values even more since their weapons are not guided so they want to fire the weapons more wide and frequently. Giving higher 'radius_robo' value to Gigant and X01 Quadda will improve their performances; although they are already dedicated host station killers, occasionally they fail to attack host stations properly due to height differences. :(

Because UA units are programmed to maintain their height values defined in the script files. Due to this, on a map with flat plains low-altitude aircrafts cannot even attack high-altitude aircrafts. Helicopters are considered to be more flexible unit types in this regard as they are designed to attack both ground and air (mostly other helicopters) targets (sdist_bact serves a critical role in here, as it determines in which distance the helicopters will 'turn' their heads up; this is normally a part of hit & run behaviour, but it also enables them to attack targets at higher altitude). Additionally I have noticed that helicopters with lower maxrot values tend to spin around in the air for a moment which enables them to defend themselves from hostile airborne units. Perhaps there might be a logical relation between this and the notorious helicopter glitch.
;--------------------------------------------------
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;
;--------------------------------------------------
„ Helfen - Wehren - Heilen “

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!

Zidane
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Zidane » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:20 am

Added mouse input
合体! ライオカイザー

Zidane
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Zidane » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:25 am

Using of radius_(type) by missile https://github.com/Marisa-Chan/UA_sourc ... e.cpp#L527

P.S.
Methods
0 - Constructor
1 - Destructor
2 - Setter
3 - Getter

for bact child class:
70 - controlling by AI
71 - controlling by player
74 - do movement?
合体! ライオカイザー

MarioSDU6/SDU7
Slime Lord
Slime Lord

Post by MarioSDU6/SDU7 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:46 am

Again, sorry about Off-Topic Zidane... :(

Lol, I never knew that Charlotte, first time I've ever heard of that, I've never imagined the AI could assume the radius_(type) by thinking the hurtboxes of their specific enemy units would be the same. Normally I've left, for example, the "Unofficial" (referring to the 1.2.01 Beta) Dragonfly radius_tank into 600 "just for the lolz" (being mere random expecting some response from AI), and after so much testing against AI, it made Dragonflies virtually unstoppable against medium and heavy tanks, EXCEPT AA tanks and Fighters which had a much more coherent and practical advantage (increased damage multiplier and better homing capabilities), but I won't spoil that to avoid arguments. ;)

Lol, quite intriguing how the "radius_xxx" values affect how AI weapons perceive their targets. As you've said, Ying and Hetzel would be most benefitted with higher radius, but again, Ostwinds are also greatly benefitted if their weapon had higher "radius_heli" and "radius_flyer" values? Is that Ostwinds are AA tanks but have homing missiles.

Well, that's what UA devs wanted to keep, but they never foresaw the imbalances, as the example you said about fighters, Hetzels are "done for" against Marauders or Myko Bombers almost all of the time, as one example. But with the relation, only time and Zidane's project will tell our answers, that's for sure. ;)
Zidane wrote:Using of radius_(type) by missile https://github.com/Marisa-Chan/UA_sourc ... e.cpp#L527

P.S.
Methods
0 - Constructor
1 - Destructor
2 - Setter
3 - Getter

for bact child class:
70 - controlling by AI
71 - controlling by player
74 - do movement?
The more we explore, the bigger our possibilities, but what does mean "Setter" and "Getter"? Sorry about that question, just askin', first time I see those terms. :P
Intense Mod progress (it includes tests):
Resistance 100% done
Demo version uncertain fate
New Ghorkov and Taerkasten 100% done

Factions of choice: Resistance, Ghorkovs, Taerkastens

pete_kaboom
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by pete_kaboom » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:10 pm

MarioSDU6/SDU7 wrote:The more we explore, the bigger our possibilities, but what does mean "Setter" and "Getter"? Sorry about that question, just askin', first time I see those terms. :P
Setters and Getters are methods for variables so you can define their level of accessibility, akin to using properties in .NET
Setter methods define what can change the variable's values, and getters define what can read/access the value from the variable.

Zidane
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Zidane » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:59 am

Urban Assault engine has capability to write "replays". For start writing simple hold rmb and press Subtract. And same for end. Replay file will be placed in env/snaps/m****.raw

You can view it in hex. This file will contain FORM INF FRAM SEQ tags.

But I didn't found how to play them in vanilla Urban Assault.
合体! ライオカイザー

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:00 am

Zidane wrote:Urban Assault engine has capability to write "replays". For start writing simple hold rmb and press Subtract. And same for end. Replay file will be placed in env/snaps/m****.raw

You can view it in hex. This file will contain FORM INF FRAM SEQ tags.

But I didn't found how to play them in vanilla Urban Assault.
Interesting! A few years ago I found out that it's possible to take screenshots with numpad * and start a sequence of some sort with numpad / when using ua_xp.exe. The screenshots are saved in PPM format and when the first screenshot is taken, a bunch of other files is also saved. Apparently, the same functionality exists in UA.exe but it's used with different keys as you found out.

It would be very interesting if there were a way to replay those sequences.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=42&p=8428#p8428

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=752&p=14806#p14806
Im in ur base, stalkin ur hoststation

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:16 pm

The replay files seem to follow the EA85/IFF format and the structure goes like this:

Code: Select all

FORM SEQN  (70538)
. SINF  (4)
. FORM FRAM  (722)
. . FINF  (12)
. . OINF  (594)
. . AINF  (88)
. FORM FRAM  (722)
. . FINF  (12)
. . OINF  (594)
. . AINF  (88)

The numbers inside the brackets are the chunk lengths in bytes in the example file. Not all of these sizes are constant. A sequence main header, some information about the sequence (number of frames, perhaps?) and then "frames" of some sort can be seen.
Im in ur base, stalkin ur hoststation