Discord Problem

Talk about other topics that do not pertain to Urban Assault here.
Campo1988
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Discord Problem

Post by Campo1988 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:04 pm

Hey, everyone. I'm back again. You probably can't remember me. I hope this is the correct place to put this.

I cannot log-in to the Dicsord chat. This forum said registration is not required, but Discord is living up to its name. It told me something is going on, and that it detected something out of the ordinary going on. Nothing is going on and nothing is coming off, and it did not detect anything out of the ordinary going on nor coming off. I just joined for the first time a couple of minutes ago. After I put in my number and the code it sent me, it demanded my email address, so I ignored that and I reloaded the page, and then it said my phone number was used recently on another account. Yes, my phone number was used recently on an account, but no, not on a different account; it was used on this exact same account. When I tried again, it told me that I was rate-limited.

Discord is as Discord does - be discordant. I was hoping to maybe chat with some on there, because I am still playing MSUA. I have nearly finished it - including the Metropolis Dawn expansion pack - again.

Campo1988
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Re: Discord Problem

Post by Campo1988 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:07 pm

OK, so now, just after I posted this post above, I managed to get the the chat page, and it is telling me to register my account to keep my servers and chats, and it said my email address is registered already... So where is the "login" option?! :roll:

Campo1988
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Campo1988 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:26 pm

Now I logged in on a separate tab, and then went to add a new server and put the invite code in. Then it told me I must identify myself with a phone number. This forum said registration is not required.

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 2 Skorpio (Global Moderator)
Turantul 2 Skorpio (Global Moderator)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:33 pm

Hello Campo1988, welcome back.

I used Discord in its earlier days (around late 2015 and early 2016) when I was actively involved in various gaming communities, but not anymore since I got busy with my university and laboratory works. :D

Over the course of years, Discord has frequently updated their registration policy (partly due to security reasons, or an anti-spamming measure etc.) which seems to have caused a problem for you. Many servers also allow only accounts with verified phone numbers to send messages into their servers.

I suppose that, by reloading the page during the registration process (the email part as you mentioned), three things may have occurred:

• You ended up creating multiple unclaimed account(s) with the same name since the former registration session was incomplete or lost due to page refresh. Yes, Discord does allow users to create accounts in any names they want initially, since those are simply 'nicknames'. The only things that truly matter are email addresses and phone numbers connected to the accounts.
  • While doing so your phone number had become accidentally associated with one of those temporary unclaimed accounts by mistake without you realising it, and you proceeded to create a new account again (technically different account).
  • Discord considered it suspicious and locked down the account with the phone number, since any attempts to bypass the registration process may suggest potential spambot activity.

I'm pretty sure that the rate-limit is a temporary issue. :) Therefore, as long as your phone number is not associated with any pre-existing account with two-factor authentication, you may try again later on your main account once your time-out session is lifted.

I don't know all the details about your current situation; but if the problem persists, then I suggest contacting Discord support directly to help resolve your issue.

Another option is to purchase your own dedicated virtual phone numbers which you can personally use in place of your real phone number. Some of my colleagues do this for various personal security and privacy reasons, especially for online and business activities.

Nowadays I also make extensive use of these paid services to distinguish my personal, private phone number from my business/work phone numbers. ;) I hope you can find a solution.
;------------------------
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;

„ Helfen - Wehren - Heilen “
Special thanks to CERNBox!

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I have absolutely no affiliation whatsoever with that!

Campo1988
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Campo1988 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:33 pm

Thanks for your reply. Dag nabit!

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:45 am

So when I added that "Registration not required" text it was true! But there was a lot of spammers coming and disrupting the channels so the admins changed it to "Read Only" and if you want to interact then you need to "Claim your account".

Now why it is asking for your phone number I have no idea. I did not have to enter my phone number when registering for an account. This is also the biggest reason why I did not sign up for twitch. Too many random places with my information. Let me see if there is a way around the phone number issue.

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:57 pm

One reason why Discord may ask for a phone verification is using a shared IP address. If there are many user accounts registered or used from the same IP, Discord may think that they are spammers. Especially if the particular IP address is also used by actual spammers, which may be the case with many VPN services and Tor, for example.

Discord servers (and individual channels?) can also be configured to require a phone verification, but the Urban Assault server does not require that.
Im in ur base, stalkin ur hoststation

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:43 pm

I have split the discord help requests from the rest of the topic. If you need help with joining discord feel free to post here. Concerns about discords administration can continue at viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1853