A Modding Tutorial

Do you have any feedback for us? Are you looking for a file that you think we should post? Please don't hesitate to tell us about it!
superbob1998
Turantul 2 Skorpio (Global Moderator)

A Modding Tutorial

Post by superbob1998 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:20 am

It would be nice if their was one, and if there is, could someone tell me? :?:

SuperBob Forever.

://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd472/superbob1998/GhorkovBanner.jpg[/img]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
MS Paint skills are off the charts.

M1kkko
5P0 Air Prism
5P0 Air Prism

Re: A Modding Tutorial

Post by M1kkko » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:27 pm

Ah, yes, I completely agree with you there. I've just began getting a bit deeper into the game and I had a look at some of the configuration and savegame files. I'm sure there are some instructions around here on how to modify the units and maybe even create custom levels, but I haven't yet gotten deeper into that- I'm going to finish the normal campaign first.

It would be especially cool to create a mission where you play as the target drones. If you have enough energy and you can collect tech upgrades to give them more firepower, then I don't see why one couldn't use them to take down a fully armed enemy host station.

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:17 pm

superbob: No one has made an all-in-one guide but there is a lot of useful information on the forums and wiki. Almost all moddable features are documented somewhere, you just need to find them.
M1kkko wrote:
It would be especially cool to create a mission where you play as the target drones. If you have enough energy and you can collect tech upgrades to give them more firepower, then I don't see why one couldn't use them to take down a fully armed enemy host station.
Haha, that would be a funny mod... but it will get a bit boring when you have to play a level after level with the same drones... :P But yes, it's possible and not even very hard.
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.
UA community Discord channel: https://discord.gg/7H4dFQH
Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

superbob1998

Post by superbob1998 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:10 pm

M1kkko wrote:I'm sure there are some instructions around here on how to modify the units

Oh, I already know how to mode vehicles, but not custom levels or mini games such a a couple mods out there. :)

://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd472/superbob1998/GhorkovBanner.jpg[/img]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
MS Paint skills are off the charts.

garry's waffle
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by garry's waffle » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:16 pm

Let me notice you that creating map is actually most hard task in UA.

You need to remember 256 types of sectors for good (or at least useable sector or may crush) and height working makes map cooler but it is pain in the HEAD.

and exact building area must be equalized with typ versions.

M1kkko
5P0 Air Prism
5P0 Air Prism

Post by M1kkko » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:20 pm

There's no level editor for UA?

garry's waffle
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by garry's waffle » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:21 pm

As far as I know there are one thing exist called UA level compiler but I failed to use it.

It only takes 42 x 31 size and can't make an original building sector(which do nothing like flak or power station.) on it.

It isn't official program, made by someone supposed to be famous in UA fanbase.

M1kkko
5P0 Air Prism
5P0 Air Prism

Post by M1kkko » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:40 pm

It seems to me that what we really need is an up-to-date, informative and well-organized wiki which explains everything clearly and in good detail. I know we already have a wiki, but it needs to be improved by adding all the valuable information, and the campaign guides as well. I'll have a closer look at it tomorrow, and if and when I get to modding the game, I just might write a guide about it.

Right now, however, I'm looking at the more experienced modders.

garry's waffle
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by garry's waffle » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:10 am

There are already many of elite modders in the forum, see instructions of the others or Modding Game Data.

But what I want to notice is in here modders don't help others that much.

at least for me I learned modding by myself and some of questions to forum.

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:38 pm

garry's waffle wrote:As far as I know there are one thing exist called UA level compiler but I failed to use it.

It only takes 42 x 31 size and can't make an original building sector(which do nothing like flak or power station.) on it.

It isn't official program, made by someone supposed to be famous in UA fanbase.
There are currently 3 level editing tools made by members of the UA community. They all are somewhat incomplete though. If I only had decent programming skills I would really make one... but my programming experience mainly consists of making ASCII-graphic games for TI calculators so... :P

1. Random level generator which, as the name implies, creates one or more random levels. It works well, has many options and might be handy if you need a bunch of multiplayer levels or something but it's not very useful for making high-quality levels for single player campaigns as those levels aren't usually very "random".

2. Typ_map designer which helps you to create the typ_map section of the level. It's quite useful as designing the typ_map is probably the hardest part of level making. However, it seems that it doesn't support all model sets.

3. UA Level Compiler (UALC) which is the most versatile level editor so far. But as it's an alpha version, it lacks many important features, as you said.
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.
UA community Discord channel: https://discord.gg/7H4dFQH
Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...