Best multi use vehicle

"The Resistance needs you..."
leftylink
Useless Bystander Admin
Useless Bystander Admin

Re: Best multi use vehicle

Post by leftylink » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:39 am

O Y ME wrote:
GoldStar611 wrote:Hey, you guys know what's funny? Is that I have never had a problem with the helicopters, wasps, etc at any of the levels in the DEMO? Anyone ever notice this?
Hold on. Are you saying that the AI helicopter path finding works on XP computers in the demo of UA?
Uh, I have XP, and I did not need any edits to .scr files to use my helicopters. They worked for me!
~Leftylink, the former Useless Bystander Admin.
Retired from UA since university. May play again someday...

"SERP RUSH KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE!!!"
"OMG I SAID NO RUSH 15 MINS!!!!!!" *dies*

Proud creator of the Urban Assault Campaign Guides [Resistance] [Ghorkov] [Taerkasten], the Urban Assault LDF Reader, and the Excel maps

Gyiyg
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Gyiyg » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:38 pm

the only thing NOT working for me, is the game freezing to a grinding halt at 8 FPS, for NO APPARENT REASON... while in a mission, and this ONLY STARTED TO HAPPEN while playing the expansion pack Metropolis Dawn.
Just can't wait to fill you so full of psychically charged death...

O Y ME
Emperor of the Mykonians (Veteran)
Emperor of the Mykonians (Veteran)

Post by O Y ME » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:08 pm

hmm. Well I just tried out UA on an XP computer at a friends house and it had a weak graphics card (i'll edit this post when I remember exactly what it is) and UA played the way it's supposed too. Just more evidence to believe that the graphics cards affect UA AI pathfinding. Also, looking at the readme, the GeForce series aren't even mentioned. Perhaps they didn't exist in 1998?
National martial law is finally here.

leftylink
Useless Bystander Admin
Useless Bystander Admin

Post by leftylink » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:42 am

I still don't know why graphics cards are to blame, but in the interest of full disclosure, my card is an nVidia GeForce 8400M GS

To answer your speculation... the first GeForce card was the GeForce 256, launched August 31, 1999. So nope, didn't exist in 1998.

Proud creator of the Urban Assault Campaign Guides [Resistance] [Ghorkov] [Taerkasten], the Urban Assault LDF Reader, and the Excel maps

Urbana
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Urbana » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:56 am

I also have an 8400gs and i cant play in hardware graphics, but in software no problem.Any ideas on how to fix that
I have been away too long. The challenge has waned. They must learn anew the meaning of ph34r
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/TheResistanceUB2-1.png[/img]
://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t318/Al-Khabir/UrbanAssaultSig.gif[/img]

leftylink
Useless Bystander Admin
Useless Bystander Admin

Post by leftylink » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:04 pm

Yes, I remember I had this problem. I messed with some settings in the Options (DrawPrimitive, I think... not sure which settings exactly) and eventually I was able to play using Primary Display Driver. Try messing with those settings, and eventually you should be able to get everything to work!

Alfa
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Alfa » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:39 am

Funny. Having to use DrawPrimitive on modern cards.
://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff34/AlfaGoon/GIMP/cannabitchsig.gif?t=1226184091[/img]

Gyiyg
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Gyiyg » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:30 pm

my framerate goes to hell at transparent\masked textures, like the propellers of helicopters\hetzels will totally hard freeze urban assault, same with those oil derricks and phone lines....... why the HELL do these things destroy framerate so bad on newer hardware? i don't even understand....

Alfa
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Alfa » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:36 pm

Gyiyg wrote:my framerate goes to hell at transparent\masked textures, like the propellers of helicopters\hetzels will totally hard freeze urban assault, same with those oil derricks and phone lines....... why the HELL do these things destroy framerate so bad on newer hardware? i don't even understand....
Adaptive anti-aliasing. It does an anti-alias effect on transparent textures. A huge performance eater depending on anti-alias level. Of course doesn't do squat with my rig. <3

Also: ATI ftw. I can turn adaptive antialias off from catalyst control center. :D I can turn anything off, pretty much. And overclock and shits.
://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff34/AlfaGoon/GIMP/cannabitchsig.gif?t=1226184091[/img]

Gyiyg
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Gyiyg » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:41 pm

i set my antialiasing settings on my Geforce 8600 GT (i honestly forgot wtf the card is called now) to 16xQ, supersampling, gamma correction antialiasing ,etc..etc... etc... just the HIGHEST quality i can attain, i play other games too rofl..