North America Mod

"The Resistance needs you..."
User avatar
Edward Fox
Slime Lord
Slime Lord
Posts: 354
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 7:40 pm
Location: Anacortes, Washington

Re: North America Mod

Post by Edward Fox » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:17 am

Could I make a suggestion Xyneline? (Not to step on your toes. This is your project and you are the boss.) :?

You might want to adjust the borders of the territories so that they do not line up with present U.S. states. Perhaps follow natural features such as the Mississippi and Columbia rivers, the Continental Divide or the Appalachians. All other maps use fictional territories.
]http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd33 ... nceUB1.png[/img]

]http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd33 ... ensUB2.png[/img]

I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior. If you have too and you aren't afraid to say it, copy and paste this into your signature.

Xyneline
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:55 pm

Re: North America Mod

Post by Xyneline » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:19 am

Edward Fox wrote:Could I make a suggestion Xyneline? (Not to step on your toes. This is your project and you are the boss.) :?

You might want to adjust the borders of the territories so that they do not line up with present U.S. states. Perhaps follow natural features such as the Mississippi and Columbia rivers, the Continental Divide or the Appalachians. All other maps use fictional territories.
I'm not the boss because this is not a thing. :P That sounds like a good idea, though. I might work on this map more someday if I get free time, and if I do, I'll probably change the borders, maybe expand into the northern or southern areas too... (Mexico was a placeholder for the demo level anyway)

User avatar
MarioSDU6/SDU7
Slime Lord
Slime Lord
Posts: 424
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:12 am
Location: Panama City, Latin America

Re: North America Mod

Post by MarioSDU6/SDU7 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:18 am

Xyneline wrote:
Edward Fox wrote:Could I make a suggestion Xyneline? (Not to step on your toes. This is your project and you are the boss.) :?

You might want to adjust the borders of the territories so that they do not line up with present U.S. states. Perhaps follow natural features such as the Mississippi and Columbia rivers, the Continental Divide or the Appalachians. All other maps use fictional territories.
I'm not the boss because this is not a thing. :P That sounds like a good idea, though. I might work on this map more someday if I get free time, and if I do, I'll probably change the borders, maybe expand into the northern or southern areas too... (Mexico was a placeholder for the demo level anyway)
Or just use your imagination to do several custom borders that have nothing to do with USA and Canada ;) I did this with my own version of Asia for the New Ghorkov campaign. (the Japan country had to be split in 2 levels)

And don't worry, when you have free time during Fridays after school, studying, and homeworks, you can continue with this project. Unfortunately I won't be able to help due to my work on making the Full UA Easy install packs in different languages working perfectly on Gameranger (as I had different matches with Gameranger about UA). I'm cherring on all of you to make this North America mod, because we really miss the days as Resistance!
Intense Mod progress (it includes tests):
Resistance 100% done
Demo version uncertain fate
New Ghorkov and Taerkasten 100% done

Image
Image
Image

Factions of choice: Resistance, Ghorkovs, Taerkastens

Xyneline
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:55 pm

Re: North America Mod

Post by Xyneline » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:09 am

I'm wondering for a mod like this, would most people want to use the same vehicles or new ones or a mix of both? By "new vehicles" I mean rescripting other vehicles, turrets, and models to have different weapons, armor, and upgrades.

I started messing around with level files, and making a level from scratch is quite a laborious process. The typ_map editor program seems limited in the amount of sectors types it can place. I don't think I'd be able to finish a mod of this size well, but I might chip away at it in my spare time.

Also, I'm wondering what the story of this mod should be. Would SDU7 be campaigning after Parasite City in the original, or should it be a different SDU? If it is SDU7, wouldn't he have all his vehicles unlocked at the beginning of the first level since his victory in the original campaign?

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Posts: 839
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:59 pm
Location: Finland

Re: North America Mod

Post by Ormu » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:54 pm

Xyneline wrote:I'm wondering for a mod like this, would most people want to use the same vehicles or new ones or a mix of both? By "new vehicles" I mean rescripting other vehicles, turrets, and models to have different weapons, armor, and upgrades.
New units are always welcome. Just make sure that they are properly balanced and try to include them in the storyline somehow.
I started messing around with level files, and making a level from scratch is quite a laborious process. The typ_map editor program seems limited in the amount of sectors types it can place. I don't think I'd be able to finish a mod of this size well, but I might chip away at it in my spare time.
Yeah, creating high-quality maps, and especially the typ_map sections, is definitely the most laborious part in modding. Those two editors can help a little but they only use models from set 1 and have other limitations. This may be easier in the future, however... let's see what happens.
Also, I'm wondering what the story of this mod should be. Would SDU7 be campaigning after Parasite City in the original, or should it be a different SDU? If it is SDU7, wouldn't he have all his vehicles unlocked at the beginning of the first level since his victory in the original campaign?
I would suggest a Black Sect campaign but that's entirely up to you. :D

I don't recommend enabling too many vehicles at the beginning. The tech upgrade system - collecting new vehicles and improving their performance - is an essential part of the great gameplay of UA.
Image
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.
UA community Discord channel: https://discord.gg/7H4dFQH
Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

Xyneline
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:55 pm

Re: North America Mod

Post by Xyneline » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:07 am

Ormu wrote:I would suggest a Black Sect campaign but that's entirely up to you. :D

I don't recommend enabling too many vehicles at the beginning. The tech upgrade system - collecting new vehicles and improving their performance - is an essential part of the great gameplay of UA.
Heh, it'd probably take five times as much time to make a Black Sect mod. I like that idea, but I don't think I'd be able to complete that. And I'll just enable one vehicle at the beginning, like the fox in the original campaign, and use tech upgrades. Still, story-wise, that would likely mean either SDU7 somehow lost his vehicle and building technologies, or the player is some other SDU (which doesn't seem as unlikely as I first thought since there were multiple Resistance stations in Metropolis Dawn).

User avatar
Edward Fox
Slime Lord
Slime Lord
Posts: 354
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 7:40 pm
Location: Anacortes, Washington

Re: North America Mod

Post by Edward Fox » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:29 pm

My thought was that after cleaning up the Old World SDU7 could clean up the New World.
]http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd33 ... nceUB1.png[/img]

]http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd33 ... ensUB2.png[/img]

I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior. If you have too and you aren't afraid to say it, copy and paste this into your signature.

Post Reply