North America Mod

"The Resistance needs you..."
Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Re: North America Mod

Post by Ormu » Fri May 18, 2012 9:22 am

Proof o' concept map for ya' guys:

Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.
UA community Discord channel: https://discord.gg/7H4dFQH
Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Fri May 18, 2012 10:50 pm

+1 on this. I love the way the ocean looks!

CuSToM_94
Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Post by CuSToM_94 » Sat May 19, 2012 8:38 pm

looks like the forum is very active these days !
nice :)

Xyneline
Zeppelin
Zeppelin

Post by Xyneline » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:34 pm

I wanted to do a mod sometime last year like this that takes place mostly in the USA after the original campaign. I had started making a graphic map, but I didn't finish tinkering with the MASKE map file. I might as well post it because I doubt I'll actually finish any more work on it, so anyone who wants to fix it up can use it. -Or wait, I can't post IFF files?

Edit: here's a snapshot of what it looks like... Not all levels are activated.
Attachments
mapExampleUS.PNG
mapExampleUS.PNG (346.48 KiB) Viewed 890 times

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:28 am

Place the files in a ZIP file and you should be able to upload those. Members of the forum would definitely love to have a great place to start when designing new modifications ;) Great job by the way!

Xyneline
Zeppelin
Zeppelin

Post by Xyneline » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:09 am

Oh, thanks! Trying to upload it in one zip file makes it bigger than the memory limit of 1 MB, so I'll split it up into two zip files.

The sites below Florida were supposed to be the training 1 and 2 missions, and I imagined the campaign would start in New York and end in California as Parasite City. Also the strip of land in Canada would be an extremely difficult level (like Sulgogar's fine thread), and it would advance the player much closer to the final level. At least, those were my ideas of the mod I planned. If anyone wants the layers as transparent images that I used in photoshop for the grids or borders, let me know.
Attachments
USMaps2.zip
(557.4 KiB) Downloaded 349 times
USMaps1.zip
(573.23 KiB) Downloaded 345 times

MarioSDU6/SDU7
Slime Lord
Slime Lord

Post by MarioSDU6/SDU7 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:53 am

Xyneline wrote:Oh, thanks! Trying to upload it in one zip file makes it bigger than the memory limit of 1 MB, so I'll split it up into two zip files.

The sites below Florida were supposed to be the training 1 and 2 missions, and I imagined the campaign would start in New York and end in California as Parasite City. Also the strip of land in Canada would be an extremely difficult level (like Sulgogar's fine thread), and it would advance the player much closer to the final level. At least, those were my ideas of the mod I planned. If anyone wants the layers as transparent images that I used in photoshop for the grids or borders, let me know.
I do agree with you. It will be really awesome once you continue with the mod, because I haven't seen a single one since the Kyternesian Uprising Demo, and well, we might need to make this expansion a separate one like these instructions:
http://www.metropolisdawn.com/2010/06/0 ... al-levels/
It reminds me of my attempt to extend Asia even further on the New Ghorkov Mod. ;) Awesome job you did there! I hope you can use XN Resource Editor to rename some levels if you have plans to make completely custom levels
Intense Mod progress (it includes tests):
Resistance 100% done
Demo version uncertain fate
New Ghorkov and Taerkasten 100% done

Factions of choice: Resistance, Ghorkovs, Taerkastens

Xyneline
Zeppelin
Zeppelin

Post by Xyneline » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:17 am

MarioSDU6/SDU7 wrote:I do agree with you. It will be really awesome once you continue with the mod, because I haven't seen a single one since the Kyternesian Uprising Demo, and well, we might need to make this expansion a separate one like these instructions:
http://www.metropolisdawn.com/2010/06/0 ... al-levels/
It reminds me of my attempt to extend Asia even further on the New Ghorkov Mod. ;) Awesome job you did there!
Thanks, but I don't think I'll continue this. I had a few really ambitious project ideas for UA, including this mod idea, but I don't think I'll have the time to work on it anymore. Sorry.
hope you can use XN Resource Editor to rename some levels if you have plans to make completely custom levels
Is that actually possible? Would you need to use those instructions you mentioned for renaming custom levels?

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:16 am

Xyneline wrote:
Edit: here's a snapshot of what it looks like... Not all levels are activated.
This is really nice! :) Too bad I don't really have time for modding but let's see what happens in the future...
Xyneline wrote:Is that actually possible? Would you need to use those instructions you mentioned for renaming custom levels?
Yes, open language.dll (in .../locale/) in a resource editor (Resource Hacker, XN Resource editor, PE Explorer etc.), expand the strings tree and find the sections where map names are stored.
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.
UA community Discord channel: https://discord.gg/7H4dFQH
Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

Xyneline
Zeppelin
Zeppelin

Post by Xyneline » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:19 am

Ormu wrote: Yes, open language.dll (in .../locale/) in a resource editor (Resource Hacker, XN Resource editor, PE Explorer etc.), expand the strings tree and find the sections where map names are stored.
I tried it, and it works! Awesome, thanks!

One thing off about my map, besides the messed up MASKE file, is that the grid lines (and some of the borders) don't show all of the grid, like outside the rim of California's cost. The grid fades out a bit. I might try fixing that one day.