Religium!

The drones forum is back, for all your drone-ish silliness. (Post counts do not increase in this forum)
superbob1998
Turantul 2 Skorpio (Global Moderator)

Re: Religium!

Post by superbob1998 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:13 am

HUAH! YOU'RE BACK!

://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd472/superbob1998/GhorkovBanner.jpg[/img]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
MS Paint skills are off the charts.

GhorDragoon
Weasel
Weasel

Post by GhorDragoon » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:00 pm

well I am catholic but also I dont believe in it a 100% becuase I feel well to God religiuos that Bible teachs is different to everybody.

fabriciovic2
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by fabriciovic2 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:29 pm

Thomas Fredson,i wil tell you the truth what really happens in Brazil about Pregnancy,this issue that you said is from some catholic groups,but religion in Brazil is based(as politics)in Hypocrisy and fake moralism.I Believe in God,i recognize the meaning of jesus christ as a important man for real christians,but.All of things that (foreign and local press)says about my country are a little bit "distorted"or biased by some groups.First:Brazil is not Rio(one of the most holes to live on earth,that they insists in call that hole"a wonderful town")Brazil is the first"capitalist" country in world that practice the"Anti-capitalism" they put a lot of ignorant or cultureless people(including poor and some riches)to feed a "political elite",motherf...politicians stealing public money,corruption and so and so,the"forgive"culture based in so called"christians",screw our society up,Brazilian people(excepts me and others)are Cowards,that call themselves"tuff and dangerous"that if we have a war they are the first to run(politicians and slum thugs in first second).We have pregnant young women(but if you see their face you know how why)because they dont have education and act like animals listen"rio funk shitty music"(oh this sucks as a desease).Brazil have some different regions with different people(they can look same sh..but We are different),example:if you go to Southern States you will fell the cold weather and the grey skies and you will ask yourself"what that strange white guys are doing here,they call themselves"gauchos"what is it?.,you go to the amazon you find indians and army soldiers(maybe col kurtz are there,i dont know)and city of Manaus the only urban city.If you go to São Paulo you will find a giant"concrete jungle"and multiracial people from different parts of the world living there,you will see that how different this country is.Religion in Brazil have lots of tunes,muslins getting along with jews,budists,catholics,baptists,neo-pentecostal fanatics and "faith explorers"togheter,but we not kill pregnant women,but the sex offenders they die in jail,in other s prisioner s hands.Brazil is getting Urban and Urban,the therm"Urban assault"can be a joke here,but we have a bigger problem,the Robbers and Drug-gangs,they must die,not be catched by police,but we have cowards"afraid to kill"here to response in legit defense...dont belive in our Movies like"city of god,or Tropa de Elite"they are Rio made crap...Brazil is not Rio...look around Brazil s other cities..and dont believe in everthing the mass media says...

Roland985
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Roland985 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:05 am

I'm a Christadelphian (Greek word for "Brethren of Christ")

We don't believe in the Trinity, or observe any of the religious holidays such as Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving etc.

I know that it might sound strange that we don't observe the trinity, but we believe it to be a falsehood developed by the Roman Catholic religion to destroy the real meaning of the scripture. We also don't believe the devil to be a supernatural being, but simply the inner desires of our own bodies.

I believe in being discreet about what I believe in, so I rarely talk about it unless religion is specifically brought up like in this case.

Any questions?

superbob1998

Post by superbob1998 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:03 am

Religion is never something to be talked about on a forum. Why would someone bring it up in such a happy online community? Don't they know that religion is the leading cause of internet arguments?

Oh... Wait.... :oops:

://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd472/superbob1998/GhorkovBanner.jpg[/img]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
MS Paint skills are off the charts.

Doomfrost
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Doomfrost » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:08 pm

Usually reason religion isn't discussed in such length is it's just too much moderation required because people have a tendency of getting angry with each other for differing beliefs or the lack thereof. Of course I'm of the Christian faith and I'm content. :D
Pulse of life.

Darth_Cthulhu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Darth_Cthulhu » Sun May 05, 2013 4:45 pm

I'm going to be straight and strict. Don't be offended - it's just my opinion, and I am able to have one, aren't I?

My opinion in this topis is simple: religion is a tool. It was very effective tool serving two purposes: explaining unknown (why ligtning strikes, or why my relative is sick (before medicine developed), what are those shiny things above, etc); and manipulating people using that basis. Priests gave people explanation why everything happens, and it gave them ability to control masses.
I think it was okay, it was part of our history and it allowed us to become more organized than a bunch of tribes fighting in everlasting wars.
But today it serves only the latter purpose, because basically everything you wonder about the world can be explained using logic, reason and known scientific basis, which is enough to explain the world without inventing deities, which suffice to be an explanation according to Occam's Razor.
That's my opinion.
When I didn't know something as a child - i asked my parents and they didn't tell me that this is some deity's will, but they either explained me as it is, or gave me a book about it. That's how I developed a scientific approach to world view.
C++ developer. Failed to learn OGRE and worked in gamedev. Alcoholic and chain-smoker.

uatg
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by uatg » Mon May 06, 2013 8:07 am

I've just joined the forum so I'm going to be very careful about this very sensitive and controversial topic :-). I'm convinced that it is a good idea to talk about these topics on any forum as long as everyone stays cool. These are topics that are mostly denied in public discussions while it is just crucial for society to discuss them.

Firstly, I only believe in things that can be proven by science. If one day a super scientist creates a machine that can unmask a person that is living in the sky I will believe in that 'flying' person. But as long as there is no such machine I will believe in what science has already proven.

Secondly, I believe that religion is some sort of tool (like Darth_Cthulhu's - in my opinion - great post already pointed out) to drug your consciousness (it alters the perception of reality like drugs). I also believe that people can only make the right decisions if they are aware of the true state of reality - i.e. the state that is proven by science (never ask drunk people to judge something or someone!). So theoretically I think that peoples who believe in a religion cannot act properly (that does noet mean necessarily bad)... but I respect every person as long as he does not harm his fellows or his environment. I like to create quotes and here is one I created for religion :) :

'Man created religion so he could explain the unexplainable. But what he really did is that he chose to deny the unknown. Science, on the other end, tries to explain the unknown until there is nothing unexplainable left to deny.'

And thirdly, as for how persons must behave (ethics), I believe it is possible to be a good man without religion. How to define what is good and what is bad is a science on its own (and thus deserves a separate topic...).
You either taste, feel, and smell the intoxication of freedom and revolt, or sink into the miasma of despair and apathy. You are either a rebel or a slave. - Chris Hedges

Edward Fox
Slime Lord
Slime Lord

Post by Edward Fox » Fri May 10, 2013 2:25 pm

The problem there is that science (by itself) is essentially self refuting. The scientific method cannot prove itself otherwise you have circular reasoning. If one believes in science one first has to accept faculties outside of science in order to give the method some form of verification.

Also, your third point is very problematic. Ethics is impossible to actualize without some sort of transcendent supernatural (defined as beyond nature) source. This need not be organized and codified religion per se but could be something as detached as the forms. Nature and the material world cannot inform ethics.
]http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd33 ... nceUB1.png[/img]

]http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd33 ... ensUB2.png[/img]

I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior. If you have too and you aren't afraid to say it, copy and paste this into your signature.

uatg
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by uatg » Fri May 10, 2013 3:52 pm

Edward Fox wrote:The problem there is that science (by itself) is essentially self refuting. The scientific method cannot prove itself otherwise you have circular reasoning. If one believes in science one first has to accept faculties outside of science in order to give the method some form of verification.
The scientific method basically consists of exploring the true state of reality without any irrational judgement. So in that matter I don't see why this method needs a verification. Its verification, if you will, lies in the fact that it tries to verify something. But to be clear, I don't believe that science is of any use in ethics, it's just a 'tool' to learn our world as it is without any judgement in it (without emotions). Can science explain the most important questions like why we exist? Probably not but I don't need an explanation. We exist now and here and we have work to do.
Edward Fox wrote:Also, your third point is very problematic. Ethics is impossible to actualize without some sort of transcendent supernatural (defined as beyond nature) source. This need not be organized and codified religion per se but could be something as detached as the forms. Nature and the material world cannot inform ethics.
I don't understand what you mean here. Ethics is just a set of laws that is based on artificial concepts that most peoples find acceptable, nothing more and nothing less. Anyway, if peoples need some supernatural construction to be of descend moral quality I don't mind it as long as they don't try to convert others.
You either taste, feel, and smell the intoxication of freedom and revolt, or sink into the miasma of despair and apathy. You are either a rebel or a slave. - Chris Hedges