QUIZ. What features do you want? UPD 21 Jun

Urban Assault is an old game and its rare blend of FPS and RTS deserves to be seen again. For those of you who want to start/coordinate projects to make an Urban Assault 2, this is a dedicated forum for you!
Darth_Cthulhu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

QUIZ. What features do you want? UPD 21 Jun

Post by Darth_Cthulhu » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:32 am

My answers are marked with * (star)

1. What storyline would you like to see in UA2?
a) The same time (remake)
b) What happened after Parasite City (sequel)
c) What happened before SDU7 (prequel)
d) What would have happened at the same time (another storyline or place).
e) a+b+c - large storyline from SDU 1 to 7+. *
f) Other (describe).

2. What places would you like to see in UA2?
a) The same (Europe)
b) Some other (US, Asia, other)
c) Whole earth.
d) Whole earth and more (other planets). *
e) Other (describe).

3. Would you like to see new factions?
a) Definitely. Add new races or factions i.e. Brazil Alliance, UN Defence Initiative (US) or something.
b) Some sub-factions would be nice (like in CnC Generals Zero Hour). e.g. Resistance Defence, Resistance Reconnaissance, Mykonian Parasite (heavy), Myko Storm (light and fast).
c) Some cross-factions would be cool. Like Resistance having Ghorkovs technologies after taking their tech center at east and other resistance having taer techs from south direction.
d) Mix of previous answers. * (a in prequel, b + c in sequel)
e) Nope. Let em stay the same.
f) Other (describe).

4. Would you like new units and/or buildings?
a) Sure. More is better!
b) No, Resistance already have too much units most of them aren't used anytime.
c) If there would be prequel or sequel - old or new units are essential. e.g. apaches for helicopters and abramses for tanks. * (and a little bit more buildings)
d) Other (describe).

5. Secondary fire?
a) Of course! And tertiary too! (For example - tank: 1-gun, 2-guided missile, 3-smoke screen, mgun) *
b) Only if necessary (Helis with AA missiles)
c) Never! Don't touch holy UA gameplay!
d) Other (describe)

6. Water on maps?
a) No water! There should be only dry dead land!
b) Yes water! Let there be lakes and rivers! *
c) Yes water more! Let there be seas and oceans!
a) No water! The only rivers I want to see is of molten steel and blood!
d) Other (describe)

7. Navy?
a) Sure, why not?
b) No. Don't need it. I just can't imagine Host station floating over water and foxes swimming and shooting into oceans to capture underwater sectors. Sheesh. *
c) Underwater missions could be cool. Foxes should run on the bottom and shoot torpedoes!
d) Other (describe)

8. Upgrades?
a) Never! Let it stay the same: shoot at research center and they immediately upgrade some your units.
b) Some new way: you capture sector with research center and they generate research points, which you can spend on your units upgrade.
c) Some other new way: they give you some sort of upgrade (firepower+, armor+) and you spend it on any unit you want.
d) Other (describe) * (b+c)

9. Terraforming
a) No. Let it stay the same: destroyable buildings and indestructible mountains.
b) Polygon morphing: explosion holes in ground, ability to flatten mountains etc.
c) Voxel maps! We want total destruction! I want to make underground tunnel to enemy base!
d) Other (describe) * (i like c, but it's hard as hell, so yet b)

10. What do you think about this logo?
a) It sucks!
b) It sucks, but better than nothing.
c) Idea is good, but render isn't.
d) Nice!
e) Screw you, Darth, I'm gonna make logo! *

11. How can you contribute?
a) I'm coder, and I have some DX10 shaders which i'm gonna send you ri-i-ight n..ever.
b) I'm modeller, and I have all resistance units with high polycount but I lost them, so I'll draw'em again and send here soon.
c) I can draw, I'll send you some concepts.
d) I am good at sitting and thinking stuff. So I'll write complete prequel and sequel stories and plots.
e) Other (describe)

12. Why don't you do something of the above?
a) I have hardcore laziness, and never gonna do something.
b) I have much more important stuff to do, than to sit and make stuff for sequel of my favorite game.
c) I didn't know that I was needed! Up and away!!!111
d) I've already done sequel, check in other topic. Oh, admin deleted it.
e) Other (describe)

That's all what i could come up with. I'll add questions later. If you have some questions or ideas about gameplay which I should add here - tell me.
Attachments
UA 2 logo draft 2.jpg
UA 2 logo draft 2.jpg (14.35 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
Last edited by Darth_Cthulhu on Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
C++ developer. Failed to learn OGRE and worked in gamedev. Alcoholic and chain-smoker.

Happy_Hereford
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Re: QUIZ. What features do you want?

Post by Happy_Hereford » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:21 am

1. f - to follow the other SDU's, for example, SDU1, see the original fighter and the technology they used, along with the gradual loss of conquered territory (like in Stronghold Deluxe, when playing the military career).
2. c - I always wondered what happened to the rest of the world.
3. d.
4. c - in regards to my first answer.

:awsm:

Ladies and gentlemen, HEATHER MORRIS

Xan Kriegor
Weasel
Weasel

Post by Xan Kriegor » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:51 am

1) b+c, but it could be interseting to have the mykonian point of vue of the war after their defeat at parasite city, and a mykonian campaign
2) e : North and south america, and maybe at the southpole for mykonians.
3) e==> I think a cross faction would be too strong, but it could be fun to have more maps with sulgogars and to give them some buildings.
4)a+c.

MarcOlle
Bugged Ostwind?
Bugged Ostwind?

Post by MarcOlle » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:51 pm

1-d
2-b
3-b+c
4-c

=D
Trying to do a comeback...
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/SulgogarsUB2.png[/img]
________________________________________________________________________________________
Fra6160 at 29/Apr/2009 wrote:In 2011 we'll discover the plasma creation :D
And still we have not discovered the plasma creation...

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:38 pm

It's funny because I look at these questions and I see that it is possible to change all of these items already.
Can change story by editing language.dll
Can change vehicle names by editing UA.exe
Can change map by editing IFF background images
Can add new units by hand by editing SKLT files inside BAS file.

MarcOlle
Bugged Ostwind?
Bugged Ostwind?

Post by MarcOlle » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:55 pm

The problem is because, I believe, don't exist anybody can creatre new vehicles (SKLT and BAS files) on forum, for while...
Trying to do a comeback...
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/SulgogarsUB2.png[/img]
________________________________________________________________________________________
Fra6160 at 29/Apr/2009 wrote:In 2011 we'll discover the plasma creation :D
And still we have not discovered the plasma creation...

Ihgzial
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ihgzial » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:12 pm

MarcOlle wrote:The problem is because, I believe, don't exist anybody can creatre new vehicles (SKLT and BAS files) on forum, for while...
Yep, and even if the wireframes and textures are all cracked, its finding people to design, create and texture map any new vehicles whilst trying to keep them in the same style and feel of the rest of UA. You can tell a 3rd party modification a mile off most of the time when it comes to games. Few actually blend in like Vanilla.

Edit: Oops, off topic :?!
1) D. Not completely sure if I'm right or not, but the Parasite seemed to be the only plan the Mykos had in store. Any past or future sequels, and you lose the Mykos as a faction :(. Also, the introduction references other Resistance strongholds across the globe, undoubtably having their own enemies to deal with.
2) C. It would be interesting to see what all the other strongholds were up against, as I am sure they didn't go unopposed.
3) A. Obviously it makes sense for there to be other factions, as it is on a global scale. The Mykonians and Sulgogars would still be prevailant in other areas of the world, but the Ghorkovs and Taerkasts would not. There must have been other factions on different continents.
4) Other. New units for new factions obviously, but it might be nice to see similar units for the Resistance, just with alterations to suit the different climates and environments of the world.

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:53 am

Ihgzial wrote: Yep, and even if the wireframes and textures are all cracked, its finding people to design, create and texture map any new vehicles whilst trying to keep them in the same style and feel of the rest of UA.
Quite right, I tried to replace the Weasel model with a stick figure of an air plane, but the game crashed. I think I know what I did wrong and will try again later this week.

Modeling is the hardest part especially getting a model from a current program into its most basic elements (points and lines). And the feel for the game can be easily changed once textures are changed. I had imagined a new unit for the black sect that was almost full invisible while in "wait" mode (on the ground/not moving), semi invisible when moving and regular visibility when firing. I'd actually like to make a black sect campaign with a new map, small story line, new vehicles, buildings and sky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkrZdneJDz4 If only I could do work like this!!

Ihgzial
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ihgzial » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:11 pm

GoldStar611 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkrZdneJDz4 If only I could do work like this!!
Dayum, thats neat, awesome quality, but so fast. Its mindboggling. Would something like this be exportable to the UA format (I recall you mentioning it uses point data, rather than a 3D model, so would require a text file rather than a .nif for example (first 3D file off the top of my head))? It would be so much easier than trial and error point plotting.

Sorry to ask, I probably could have gone and checked in your thread, but how does UA handle the textures? What format does it use?

Darth_Cthulhu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Darth_Cthulhu » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:20 pm

It's offtopic, guys, discuss this in "mods" forum.
C++ developer. Failed to learn OGRE and worked in gamedev. Alcoholic and chain-smoker.