Urban Assault 2

Urban Assault is an old game and its rare blend of FPS and RTS deserves to be seen again. For those of you who want to start/coordinate projects to make an Urban Assault 2, this is a dedicated forum for you!
Darth_Cthulhu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Urban Assault 2

Post by Darth_Cthulhu » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:15 pm

Hi there :)
I hope this wouldn't sound too arrogantly, but
I am doing UA2 now :)
Let me explain.
I am writing a game engine. Progress is very good. Working rendering and input. I've already played miniature game i written by sligthly modifying my sources :)
Well, in a month-two, i hope, there will be some alpha to show you.
My roadmap to version 0.1 is:
  1. Console management of game (~ and write commands)
  • Stability (app must work in WinXP, Vista and 7 without upgrading .Net and installing MS Visual Studio runtime, though now it must have runtime - it's debug (: )
  • Loading meshes (I haven't decided which model format to use, now it's just .x)
  • Sounds'n'music (i have sources from other project, but i'm not in a hurry to implement it, as i have debug to do )
  • demo level, as i've not decided and designed levels and such.
There will be some cylinders like target host stations in training levels. Ability to control them and stuff i didn't think about yet. All i can say now - i'll do my best to make a working alpha.
Now.
I want you to help me with:
  1. Which model and texture format should i use? (Freeware of course)
  • How to design level? How do you see it's file structure and scripting?

This is what i need now.
I need also:
  1. All your thoughts about gameplay and design
  • Modellers and models (Now in .x, later - in chosen format)
I know that it's not easy. I must tell that alpha will be ready in month as i described only in case if i work hard on it and nobody distracts me, which is possible only in perfect world we aint living in.

I would be glad to hear your criticism, advice and support
C++ developer. Failed to learn OGRE and worked in gamedev. Alcoholic and chain-smoker.

Nemphis
Ghargoil 1
Ghargoil 1

Re: Urban Assault 2

Post by Nemphis » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:12 pm

for models use .3ds due to it being a freeware

UrbanAce3
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by UrbanAce3 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:27 am

Wow another UA2 project gos up sounds good leftylink you should make a forum for this
UrbanAce3~
:/i163.photobucket.com/albums/t318/Al-Khabir/UrbanAssaultSig7.gif[/img]
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/SulgogarsUB2.png[/img]

Grim0x
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Grim0x » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:38 pm

While I'm happy to see multiple efforts.
I think it would be just an excellent, (and logical) Idea for us to liaison with this prospect. We all want to see it happen. So lets just work together to make it a reality!

Darth_Cthulhu there have been around 2 other threads with simmilar sentiments, so you should go check them out for additional ideas :).

Sounds good that you've actually got something started though.

As for music - I'm a composer ^_^
I make Trance/EDM songs. And there's this song I have that I think would just be perfect for the remake! (for a large ambient level I'm picturing :D)

I'll upload it here soon.

Think it would be the better move - getting a forum up for this project eventually.

EDIT:
here it is
http://uploading.com/files/7DF3SDMR/I like the Ambience Mastered.mp3.html

More i listen to it - I realize its prolly not ANGRY enough. lol.
It is a RTS/shooter after all. More meaness is prolly in order lol.
But there it is, tell me what you guys think.
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''%'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''Image''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''%''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior. If you have too and you aren't afraid to say it, copy and paste this into your signature

leftylink
Useless Bystander Admin
Useless Bystander Admin

Post by leftylink » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:54 pm

Darth_Cthulhu, this sounds interesting, so certainly keep us posted about this stuff. Even if nothing else, writing a game engine in and of itself is an awesome programming experience.

As for your questions...
Modeling I really don't know anything about. Wikipedia gives me links of these two comparisons of 3d software, the only free ones are Art of Illusion, Blender, Truespace, Wings3d. Everything else is insanely expensive... yeesh.
Level formats... you could do something that can easily be edited with a text editor like how UA did it (lots of possibilities here, possibly something done with XML so you have the interoperability and everything ;)) or you could have a binary file format for compactness (and hey, provide documentation for it so that we can write readers/editors for it...)

As for gameplay... I think you'll want to stay true to the RTS / FPS mix. I believe in "Keep it Simple, Stupid" (KISS), so don't make stuff too complicated, hey?
Other than that... you're in charge.
UrbanAce3 wrote:Wow another UA2 project gos up sounds good leftylink you should make a forum for this
Here's my thinking. If any one project, in my judgment, shows "significant" promise or progress, and is backed by a dedicated group willing to work, I'll make a forum for that project, but I cannot randomly start making forums for every single person's projects, because those forums would have few posts, and it makes more sense to have one forum with a lot of topics that are related to each other than a bunch of forums with one or two topics each.

What I can do for right now, however, is make a general "UA 2 projects" forum, if people would like?
~Leftylink, the former Useless Bystander Admin.
Retired from UA since university. May play again someday...

"SERP RUSH KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE!!!"
"OMG I SAID NO RUSH 15 MINS!!!!!!" *dies*

Proud creator of the Urban Assault Campaign Guides [Resistance] [Ghorkov] [Taerkasten], the Urban Assault LDF Reader, and the Excel maps

Nemphis
Ghargoil 1
Ghargoil 1

Post by Nemphis » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:42 pm

im willing to work my current modding group is past the modeling stages so I'm no longer needed there i will help in anyway i can but be warned i do not make textures

UrbanAce3
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by UrbanAce3 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:22 am

Yes a UA 2 projects forum would be great :) and maybe i could try to skin i would need a U.V map but i my be able to teach my self to do it
UrbanAce3~
:/i163.photobucket.com/albums/t318/Al-Khabir/UrbanAssaultSig7.gif[/img]
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/SulgogarsUB2.png[/img]

Nemphis
Ghargoil 1
Ghargoil 1

Post by Nemphis » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:27 pm

i maybe able to get us a composer for some music ill ask him

Darth_Cthulhu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Darth_Cthulhu » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:44 am

i am sorry to tell this, but due to technical difficulties (lack of Cpp and DirectX SDK at home) development is paused. Still i am thinking through ideas and ways of development and scripting, and i still have my pen and notepad to write'm down, so i hope things will be done faster :)
Thank everyone for your attention, support and advices. I am waiting for ua2 forums, hope it'll help us coordinate :)
By the way - what about development wiki like OpenTTD's? It'll help us better.
I'll update my status ASAP. Byye :)
C++ developer. Failed to learn OGRE and worked in gamedev. Alcoholic and chain-smoker.

RingKeeper0815
Firefly
Firefly

Post by RingKeeper0815 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:31 pm

hmm i remember a game/graphic engine from Egosofts x2, the models arent that good, but better tzan ua, i think its freeware, i have a look