New Urban Assault

Urban Assault is an old game and its rare blend of FPS and RTS deserves to be seen again. For those of you who want to start/coordinate projects to make an Urban Assault 2, this is a dedicated forum for you!
CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Re: New Urban Assault

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:30 am

MarioSDU6/SDU7 wrote:Implausible, BUT possible. We must go deeper and make it much more detailed and versatile. Not easy at all (extremely difficult), but very rewarding if it's accomplished and implemented right. UA has no ally faction, but in multiplayer sequels, it can work in case of maps with 1vs2 or 1vs3 (with friendly fire) such as All Versus me! or Rock-n-Roll - XPack.
I agree because it is true. In fact we need additional Multi-Player/Options interface to setting the game more correctly and as you said, versatile.
MarioSDU6/SDU7 wrote:3 or 4 More Faction: Hmmm... It should be better that matches allow players to do the settings from 2 to 8 players (human or AI) with their faction (1 of the 4 factions selected) and different color. And yes, new vehicles should be added, and lots of revising would be needed to make all factions with their units balanced and with different roles we can ever imagine.

And yes, the Random Custom Match can also work pretty much well, much like Age of Empires with matches of 2 or more players (1 player vs 1-7 AI players). Although we're also gonna need to implement the Random Custom Deathmatch setting (with lots of energy and fight until running out of creation energy)
Why not, what in my mind is if we are playing Single-Player or Multi-Player match against AI, we can even make up the max player set to 16, and we could able to setting the all values at it. It would be an insane and amazing battle. Such as meele mode. More complex function, more good. :geek:

I was always thought about the UA with developer's console in it. Then it will be really awesome and convenient to be manipulated.
As long as people can handle/fulfil the basic like balancing work, atmosphere design and the originality, I wouldn't mind about it.
Anyway just asking: is this project is still in progress? I see no development in these days. No post for a few months..
Although from my view the majority of debated part contains extremely time-consuming, encoding dedicated task. :|
;----------------------------------------------------------
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!

surfer1253
Zeppelin
Zeppelin

Post by surfer1253 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:22 pm

Oh yea now that i see it as Mario says that for being able to do a custom multiplayer match from 2-8 players , dude dont be so childish if u would be abble to do 2-8 u would need 8 factions :) :lol:
Taerkasten:
We crush,we smash,
none can oppose us!

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:44 pm

surfer1253 wrote:Oh yea now that i see it as Mario says that for being able to do a custom multiplayer match from 2-8 players , dude dont be so childish if u would be abble to do 2-8 u would need 8 factions :) :lol:
You are the one who are extremely childish that are not even able to understand the few words. Did you even just read my post correctly?
The suggested 8 player function is for an AI match, it wasn't mentioned about the multiplayer match that EACH factions are controlled by EACH players.

And even the Mario himself has stated
MarioSDU6/SDU7 wrote:3 or 4 More Faction: Hmmm... It should be better that matches allow players to do the settings from 2 to 8 players (human or AI) with their faction (1 of the 4 factions selected) and different color.
Don't you see the point of argument is being concentrated at '1 of the 4 factions selected'? It is a very good deal because it doesn't kill the rule of game, and can be done perfectly without adding your irrational and irresponsible idea into the game. :lol:

We are talking about the case of AI+Human vs AI+Human, or AI(multiple HS in certain faction) vs Human(Only 1 HS each other.)
Get your fact straight before flaming the others. It doesn't even make you look smarter. You disgusts me, seriously.
;
;

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!

surfer1253
Zeppelin
Zeppelin

Post by surfer1253 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:17 pm

Nah, you are the one who is wrong.What i ment was that to do a 2-8 players or AI match you will need 8 factions because how can it be ? Mby some AI or some players pick same factions?So think it before posting something.And ur disguisting me more than me you.
Taerkasten:
We crush,we smash,
none can oppose us!

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:43 pm

Hey, calm down, both of ya'. :lol: I think there are currently lots of challenges for people who want to create UA2, and they are more serious than any faction/game mode-related issues.

But back to the current topic: I like the idea of having multiple players on the same faction in multiplayer. Either one host per one player, or maybe even so that one player controls the host station and the others pilot the units. True cooperation. ;) And of course the number of 1)factions, 2)hosts per level, 3)players in a multiplayer match should not be artificially limited.
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.
UA community Discord channel: https://discord.gg/7H4dFQH
Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:05 pm

Again you didn't even read my previous post. I have already suggested the AI is special matter that can directly interfere player quantity and mechanism.
CharlotteLabyrinth wrote:The suggested 8 player function is for an AI match, it wasn't mentioned about the multiplayer match that EACH factions are controlled by EACH players.
And again this is what Mario said in his quote:
MarioSDU6/SDU7 wrote: the Random Custom Match can also work pretty much well, much like Age of Empires with matches of 2 or more players (1 player vs 1-7 AI players).
1 Player vs 7 AI match requires only 2 factions, isn't it?

Then how about this:
surfer1253 wrote:Mby some AI or some players pick same factions?
And this is what I just said in my previous post:
CharlotteLabyrinth wrote:We are talking about the case of AI+Human vs AI+Human, or AI(multiple HS in certain faction) vs Human(Only 1 HS each other.)
As I stated formerly, some(multiple) AI can pick same factions. But multiple players can't pick same factions. That is all.
Read the post correctly before merely repeating your inadequate selfish thought onto me.

Basic idea for slot: 1 Player = 1 Host Station, identical capacity for both AI and Human.

AI = Capable to form the alliance(Multiple HS) themselves if they are in same faction. If needed they can be included into Human controlled faction before the game starts to be allied with Human players. But still they can't form the alliance with different factions.

Human = No alliance exists between different faction. Software should not support the algorithmical alliance between the hostile AI or Human players during the in-game. 1 human controls the 1 faction with 1 Host Station. However, if the Human players want to ally with an AI then he/she can choose the friendly AI before game starts. But only for an identical faction as them.

Here is easy way to look at:
AI+AI = Possible. (Only in same faction)
AI+HUMAN = Possible. (Only in same faction)
HUMAN+HUMAN = Impossible. (The two or more humans should not be in identical faction. They will be enforced to select another faction like original UA)

If you are still suspicious about the 2-8 player match then here is a simple template of how the 8 player formula is applied into 4 factions.

Code: Select all

--------------------------------------------------

Player Slot     Faction         Controlled by
1               Resistance      Human
2               Mykonian        AI
3               Mykonian        AI
4               Ghorkov         AI
5               Ghorkov         AI
6               Ghorkov         AI
7               Taerkasten      AI
8               Taerkasten      AI

1 Resistance (Human)
2 Mykonian (AI)
3 Ghorkov (AI)
2 Taerkasten (AI)
= 8 Players.

1               Resistance      AI
2               Resistance      AI
3               Resistance      AI
4               Mykonian        Human
5               Ghorkov         Human
6               Taerkasten      AI
7               Taerkasten      AI
8               Taerkasten      AI

3 Resistance (AI)
1 Mykonian (Human)
1 Ghorkov (Human)
3 Taerkasten (AI)
= 8 Players.

1               Resistance      AI
2               Resistance      AI
3               Mykonian        Human
4               Mykonian        AI
5               Mykonian        AI
6               Ghorkov         AI
7               Ghorkov         AI
8               Taerkasten      Human

2 Resistance (AI)
3 Mykonian (AI+Human)
2 Ghorkov (AI)
1 Taerkasten (Human)
= 8 Players.

Piece of cake, isn't it?
The formula is done by under the rule of that AI can have multiple Host Station in same faction just like in Single-Player. But not for the humans.

To people: Apologize about the worthless argument over here, I'll try to get rid of this ASAP.

For Ormu:
Ormu wrote:one player controls the host station and the others pilot the units.
The idea seems to have several similarities with an attack helicopter from the BF2. The pilot controls the chopper entirely to do maneuver, avoid the enemy fire and maintaining the health while the gunner need to spot around and notice the threat factors with his own wide view and shot down the all infantry/vehicles. Back then it was required superior teamwork and communication each other to be efficient.

Nice and interesting idea to be attached into one of diverse gamemode. However the disadvantage of it will be an if the one player is really good at piloting the vehicles, while the others are not, the other team may not have a chance to fight against depending on the faction and their skills.
;
;

MaxXxiking
Firefly
Firefly

Post by MaxXxiking » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:03 pm

Also good features wozld be:
- Turrets for tanks like the tek-trak or the Tiger
- Physics
- AAAAnd a map editor like from Trackmania would be nice :D
sorry i really dont know anything of programminc etc. but i UA is epic and a replay would be very nice <3
:mrgreen:
I DONT CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAREEEEEEEEE

MaxXxiking
Firefly
Firefly

Post by MaxXxiking » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:06 pm

oh yes and i forgot, A BETTER AI!!!!
:D like the AI from CoH :D
I DONT CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAREEEEEEEEE

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:30 am

Hey MaxXxiking, welcome to the Stoudson Corporation.

Your claims are indeed well said. Advanced physics engine, Map editor and even more smarter AI... The game is fairly limited due to lacking contents and modifiable sources. Unlike the most of other games UA has their AI database on hard-coded section of executable application. But it seems the map editor is accessible via WinSign.exe tool. (Although I'd still prefer method of directly creating new level files with notepad...)

On this part:
MaxXxiking wrote:- Turrets for tanks like the tek-trak or the Tiger
There was a thread about the attaching independent working turrets onto normal unit, but resulted in failure. Since currently only the ROBO(Host Station) defined vehicles can have functioning turrets(Max 8) on them. It's a shame... But still we can give at least machine gun to bombers.
;
;

FoTacTix
Ying
Ying

Post by FoTacTix » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:29 pm

If we want to do a new urban assault, we need a team. I have game dev experience, but I'm not a programmer. I'm a designer and texture artist. Find me some programmers, modelers, and perhaps a level designer, and we can make this happen.

Also, there should be no fighting in these forums. UA bonds us together. Remember that.