New Urban Assault

Urban Assault is an old game and its rare blend of FPS and RTS deserves to be seen again. For those of you who want to start/coordinate projects to make an Urban Assault 2, this is a dedicated forum for you!
Edward Fox
Slime Lord
Slime Lord

Re: New Urban Assault

Post by Edward Fox » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:18 pm

Brachy UA FREAK wrote: Why should the progress be inverted?
Think about the ugprades multiplayer style.

I don'T mean classic UA levels like ghorkovs have 88% of the dome and resistance 1 sector, that would make it not balanced( with good AI of course).
The thing is, as far as I can tell, you are taking features which would work out great in a multiplayer setting (particularly if made more sophisticated) and trying to apply them to a campaign.

That simply would not work.

I doubt even the best AI would "care" very much about research points and even if they did what would be added to the game? Do I know what upgrades the computer has chosen? If not then I have no information and the feature is almost meaningless. If so the do I really care? A leonid can have 50% armor or 80% armor and my strategy will always be to VPS in a hornet.

If the computer does not loose tech upgrades as the game progresses then what will you choose to put on each map? Do you really want to play a single player campaign where you spend most of your time battling over tech upgrades as you do in multiplayer?

Sorry but it sounds like (and I do not know for certain) you are conflating features which would work well in a multiplayer setting with those of a singleplayer campaign.
]http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd33 ... nceUB1.png[/img]

]http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd33 ... ensUB2.png[/img]

I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior. If you have too and you aren't afraid to say it, copy and paste this into your signature.

Mobster 96
Fox
Fox

Post by Mobster 96 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:46 pm

I think the game could benifit from a little character development. A few more cut scenes. Not a customizable character but a story behind the man that is sdu7. Maybe flashbacks of his life befor he was uploaded, and/or life for him right in the host station. Intense videos of him doing a virtual presence shift to find something grusome amongst the midst of a sulgogar breeding ground. Maybe could add a few survivors to the game just to add a few interesting mission objectives. I mean we can't possibly be the very last man alive. We must be fighting for someone....

MarcOlle
Bugged Ostwind?
Bugged Ostwind?

Post by MarcOlle » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:44 pm

Well, I believe that the game has to create nemw challenges, because the game now would be a lot of more complicated...
I don't agree in add MP things to campaing, but the MP could have a lot of features, like change of rules... For example, you could create the rule of beam HS or to just move it like AI HS moves on UA... Things like that...

I also beleive that the upgrade thing could create more than one option, sometimes... For example, instead of choose armor upgrade, you choose speed upgrade (just a example)...

And the non-linear history could create situations with early maps become harder while you develop your tactic over other path... For example, you choose to start attacking Africa until you get 2 levels of Parasite City... So, the Taerkasten became stronger, Sulgogar also and Ghorkovs and Mykonias not so much, but also become a little bit challenging. So when you play the game in the Europe side you will fight with strong Taerkasten, a medium ghorkov and Mykonian and sometimes a a lot of stronger Sulgogar...

I don't beleive that it could become a RISK thing, like letting the factions fight each other for territories... For example, if you are a lot of bad the Taerkasten could domain all Asia and Sulgogar all Africa... It doesn't make any sense..

Things like that could create a game with more differetn tactics, that could change the gameplay for each player...

I also belive that the resistance could has less units, or weaker units and the other faction more vehicles, like on MD expansion...
Trying to do a comeback...
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/SulgogarsUB2.png[/img]
________________________________________________________________________________________
Fra6160 at 29/Apr/2009 wrote:In 2011 we'll discover the plasma creation :D
And still we have not discovered the plasma creation...

CuSToM_94
Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Post by CuSToM_94 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:53 am

actually i agree with MarcOlle

Mobster 96
Fox
Fox

Post by Mobster 96 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:04 pm

I like the idea to be able to choose the rules for multiplayer. Each map could have default rules or let people adjust their own rules (such as energy levels and tech levels). Deffenetly like the idea to choose wether the host station can beam or not as well. I would love to move the host station like the AI does no matter what the rules. I just want to fly around in my host station... 8-) As for as how you would fly it.... Make it like the scout. the host station moves the direction your looking when you hit the fire button. I don't know if you would want there to be a fixed view where you can't look around without turning entire host station or not. Could benefit someone if they wanted to give all host station turrets a line of fire in a certain direction.

Edward Fox
Slime Lord
Slime Lord

Post by Edward Fox » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:37 pm

MarcOlle wrote:Well, I believe that the game has to create nemw challenges, because the game now would be a lot of more complicated...
But if you make these sorts of changes you are creating an entirely new game.

More complicated means more features. More features means more to manage, worry about and try to make balance. The ideas being thrown do not really take into consideration how prospective new players would react to the game. If maps are dynamic than they are going to be different and thus unpredictable each time the game is played.

(How many people have Portal and have listened to the commentary of the developers? This sort of thing is constantly addressed.) There has to be a very good reason behind introducing game elements and they must be introduced to players in an intuitive manner.

There are practical issues within the storyline as well. Just to give one example why should you be able to choose between tech upgrades? Technology upgrade sectors are located on specific plots of land. It makes no sense to be able to choose what benefits attend a fixed factor such as sectors. If there were "research points" that could be accumulated choosing upgrades would make more sense but this introduces a number of other problems.

Multiplayer on the other hand, by its very nature, is far more agreeable to some of the suggested changes.

I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior. If you have too and you aren't afraid to say it, copy and paste this into your signature.

Mobster 96
Fox
Fox

Post by Mobster 96 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:27 pm

I also would not like to see the single player campaign changed to much... I beleive there should be a story line or ultimate goal that your fighting toward. What you guys are talking about is hurting my brain, but it seems like some of the things you want to add could be incorporated into a different game mode. Like a conquest mode where you try to qonquer the map while the other factions are doing the same. Taking turns attacking and defending. Kind of like galactic conquest on star wars battlefront. You could probably even make an online game mode like this. But it would probably take a long time to complete.... I don't know ... Brain still hurting.

Due to brain hurtage I have tried to change this subject multiple times, and I'm going to try again... :? How about king of the hill game mode for online. Teams will start behind a wall of invincibility that only their own units can go through (kind of like a stoudson bomb wave that is not moving). there is one power station in the center of the map (this will be the hill). This power station will not take damage. Each team will have an allotted amount of time that will only count down when there host station is on the power station (the hill). But when they leave there wall of invinsibility there host station will be vulnerable and susceptible to death. The idea being when a team is overrun they would beam back to their safe location, and a new team would take control of the hill. Fighting back and forth untill one teams timer reaches zero. At which point a stoudson bomb could go off or something... :D EDIT: OOOOOoooo the power plant (hill) could be the stoudson bomb :!:

I bring this up just to see if anyone would be interested in a game mode that is about more than killing the enemy host station... I can ramble on ideas all day. I don't care if people think they are dum. they are just ideas in a pool of ideas to be brainstormed upon by the urban assault gods. :awsm:

Note: A-10's are awesome.... With rocket pods

MarcOlle
Bugged Ostwind?
Bugged Ostwind?

Post by MarcOlle » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:47 pm

Edward Fox wrote:
MarcOlle wrote:Well, I believe that the game has to create nemw challenges, because the game now would be a lot of more complicated...
But if you make these sorts of changes you are creating an entirely new game.

More complicated means more features. More features means more to manage, worry about and try to make balance. The ideas being thrown do not really take into consideration how prospective new players would react to the game. If maps are dynamic than they are going to be different and thus unpredictable each time the game is played.
When I say to create be more complicated I mean with a more complex terrain, more dynamic scenario, more buildings and how the units work with all that. AI with more tactics and different behaviours in each situation, also...
I don't mean to create three new batteries and new type of buildings, but could has more units with different abillities, to turn the game more equilibrated for the other factions, besides new styles of buildings, like the ones that start in some levels, so you could create more flaks and more styles of radar, for example. And could exists a way of create buildings with certain distance, not just one sector, so the AI almost never would do suicidal movements.
Mobster 96 wrote:How about king of the hill game mode for online. Teams will start behind a wall of invincibility that only their own units can go through (kind of like a stoudson bomb wave that is not moving). there is one power station in the center of the map (this will be the hill). This power station will not take damage. Each team will have an allotted amount of time that will only count down when there host station is on the power station (the hill). But when they leave there wall of invinsibility there host station will be vulnerable and susceptible to death. The idea being when a team is overrun they would beam back to their safe location, and a new team would take control of the hill. Fighting back and forth untill one teams timer reaches zero. At which point a stoudson bomb could go off or something... :D EDIT: OOOOOoooo the power plant (hill) could be the stoudson bomb :!:
I like this idea, the multiplayer could have a lot of modes. I believe the original UA was designed to be played more online, just see the number of MP maps, but internet in '98 was not ready for this type of thing, so the UA2 could be centered in multiplayer, but with good campaigns, with more history.
And the game could has three modes: Classic Campaign (where do you play as the original UA, but with better updated maps, more units, AI more complex, etc.) Modern Camapign (where all factions battle for the world domination, you would need to defend your territories, etc.) and Multiplayer (with a lot of modes and change of rules, besides user-content)
I don't believe the game need the second mode, but would be nice, because some player want some things more dynamic and with a bunch of changes.
Trying to do a comeback...
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/SulgogarsUB2.png[/img]
________________________________________________________________________________________
Fra6160 at 29/Apr/2009 wrote:In 2011 we'll discover the plasma creation :D
And still we have not discovered the plasma creation...

Edward Fox
Slime Lord
Slime Lord

Post by Edward Fox » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:20 pm

MarcOlle wrote: When I say to create be more complicated I mean with a more complex terrain, more dynamic scenario, more buildings and how the units work with all that. AI with more tactics and different behaviours in each situation, also...
I don't mean to create three new batteries and new type of buildings, but could has more units with different abillities, to turn the game more equilibrated for the other factions, besides new styles of buildings, like the ones that start in some levels, so you could create more flaks and more styles of radar, for example. And could exists a way of create buildings with certain distance, not just one sector, so the AI almost never would do suicidal movements.
That's a little different. Thanks for clarifying.

Mobster 96
Fox
Fox

Post by Mobster 96 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:49 pm

Or maybe let the AI beam like the human player does. If I have flac stations beaming up around me I want to see the host station very close by. It's funny you bring up suicidal movements. I was playing the Ghorkovs expansion and the resistance host station was flying right into the mykonian base with two bars of health left (was the level with the 2 hills). Luckily I had 10 gigants ready and they made it for the kill befor it reached their base. It was only 2-3 sector from being fired apon by myko flacs :|