New Urban Assault

Urban Assault is an old game and its rare blend of FPS and RTS deserves to be seen again. For those of you who want to start/coordinate projects to make an Urban Assault 2, this is a dedicated forum for you!
Thomas Fredson
Emperor of the Mykonians (Veteran)
Emperor of the Mykonians (Veteran)

Re: New Urban Assault

Post by Thomas Fredson » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:49 pm

What about a progression system taht allows you to customize vehicles with an "attachement" system? Something like the more you use the vehicle, the attachement you can unlock for it...? And maybe some kind of a level thing with a skill coefficient to see the real level of the player? I might sound thinking a bit too early, but these are random thoughts based on what modern players like in modern games...
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/MykoniansUB1.png[/img]
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/MykoniansUB2.png[/img]
://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t318/Al-Khabir/UrbanAssaultSig4.gif[/img]

Also administrator of UAFr Board

The Big Mistake album in progress! (ABORTED)

Edward Fox
Slime Lord
Slime Lord

Post by Edward Fox » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:54 am

I personally would rather see a game which is effectively an exact remake of Urban Assault but with better specs. I find that most of the appeal of Urban Assault was that it was made within the constraints of 1998. Gameplay was rather simple. The AI could be improved as could graphics and physics but the "feel" should remain the same. Add a wrinkle here or there to keep the game from getting too repetitive but keep it simple and roughly unchanged.

This would also allow for some of the most notable features such as the squadron manager, use of a single resource and combination of genres to be more salient.

I feel that the more features added the more generic the game becomes. Although the constraints are somewhat frustrating and staid they keep the game novel and novelty is the real strong point of Urban Assault.

(Again there could be polishing and tweaking but I would not make any significant changes without a very compelling reason for doing so.)
]http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd33 ... nceUB1.png[/img]

]http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd33 ... ensUB2.png[/img]

I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior. If you have too and you aren't afraid to say it, copy and paste this into your signature.

Mobster 96
Fox
Fox

Post by Mobster 96 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:32 pm

You know I agree with all that, I don't really want to change urban assault more than it has to. Except for a couple additions i mentioned. But balance between all units is very important. there should not be any cheap tactics or easy ways out to victory..... For example I beat parasite city in a half hour using almost nothing but falcons, and the odd dragonfly when I beamed my host station in for the kill. If this happened a lot online people would get bored quickly and move on to a new game. Maybe the game might be bettor without jet units.....(just a sugestion. I don't think I really want that). It would force players to confront enemy's more instead of just flying by for the kill.

I am almost thinking to much about star craft 2, and how seriously that game is taken. Because of how balanced it is. For every unit there is a counter unit. There are as few cheap tactics as there possibly can be. The game has probably had 20 updates or more since it came out making sure there is as much balance between factions and units as there can be. There are people that make more money than most of us just playing starcraft in tournements on tv And the Internet.... I would love to see urban assault taken that seriously.

I just had an idea. Maybe there should be anti air flac stations and tanks that strictly use anti air guns as there primary weapon. Maybe even just flac stations. Something to help slow down base attacks from units such as the serp.( which I would like to see removed from the game....)
Last edited by Mobster 96 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brachy UA FREAK
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Brachy UA FREAK » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:33 pm

SC2 = E sport = no random stuff everything is calculable.

UA can'T be balanced out the way SC2 is,
SC2 has 3 factions
UA has 4-6
And if there are units that just counter Air, it wouldn't be UA...
Imagine if you can only kill ghagoils but not the HS in Hyde Park...

To the point about Airriad-runby
Give the HS a better armour and it would render itself nearly useless, or give them a higher energy absorbation rate, results in the same...
In my Myko mod you MUST use Quaddas, otherwise you will take 5 months to make enough units that could kill the HS...
GET YOUR HANDS OFF FROM THAT PARASITE!
Or
I LL QUADDA YOU

://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/MykoniansUB1.png
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/X01-Quadda.gif

Myko Mod [MID] back alive after long hiatus!

Edward Fox
Slime Lord
Slime Lord

Post by Edward Fox » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:54 pm

The real strength of Urban Assault is the campaign. Conceivably one could use different or heavily-modified units for multiplayer but that would be somewhat beside the point.

The slightly awkward interface is case and point.

I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior. If you have too and you aren't afraid to say it, copy and paste this into your signature.

Mobster 96
Fox
Fox

Post by Mobster 96 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:42 pm

I'm thinking about this to much... Maybe anti air tanks is a bad idea they would be to powerfull against helis and bombers. But maybe jet units should all be more like the warhammer... Expensive units that are only practically used for air to air confrontations. penalize there damage to buildings. Forcing them to give cover to a squad of bombers or something slower that can heavily damage buildings.
I don't have any problem with units such as the quadda and the gigant. There powerfull but there not to fast that units such as fox and weasel can't touch them. There for you can counter them.

This is just an idea. Take out units such as falcon and serp and leave the jet classes to the more expensive warhammer and phantom type units. Also make them do less damage to buildings. Maybe replace the falcon with an A-10 looking plane that is slower, and that could heavily damage buildings with rocket pods....

These are just ideas I have about balance. I know the game isn't as calculable as star craft 2 but there are still numbers to be playd with, and I believe there should be as much of a Rock Paper Scissors effect to all the units as possible. Forcing people to choose from many different tactics and not knowing you made the right choice untill you see what your enemy has coming for you. :ninja:

Note: If or when this game is released I will buy it and love it no matter what.

MarcOlle
Bugged Ostwind?
Bugged Ostwind?

Post by MarcOlle » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:28 am

I beleive that the game has to be made to you won with a lot of tactics... Not just a combination of units...
For example, you could win with mass air attack, or mass tank attack... Or maybe a air attack for distraction while attack with tanks...

the thing in this UA is that Falco is very cheap and very fast, we could fix that... And in game exist anti-air tanks... Weasel, Fox, Ostwind and Speedy are super-effective against air units...

We have to create a way to you create differents tactics to won the battle, trying to make the HS run, or destroy the base until they had no energy to build anything... I believe that, the original idea was create a game that can be played a lot of ways... Like DotA, you have more than 1000 heroes to choose and almost all work great together, if the player is good, of course...

And we can add coop multiplyer, coop battle, coop campaing, something like that, also...
Trying to do a comeback...
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/SulgogarsUB2.png[/img]
________________________________________________________________________________________
Fra6160 at 29/Apr/2009 wrote:In 2011 we'll discover the plasma creation :D
And still we have not discovered the plasma creation...

Brachy UA FREAK
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Brachy UA FREAK » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:38 am

The thing with UA is its crappy A.I ( I believe at least)
If Units would copy the style of the player or copy actions on base of lets say all UA players so that it develops itself.
Or the same rules for all users and HS. Beaming, 3 different energy batteries etc.

Same thing with Unit A.I. . Adjusting units so that they don'T fly in circles etc...

I think, as edward said, chaning UA too much would kill UA style. UA is ment to be dynamic, so how increase its dynamic?
This would work with a shared AI database that adjust itself.

Another idea is that Enemies can attack or reconquer maps, so that lets say you have to abort a mission because the Taercasten are trying to conquer New stonehendge again.

Or that you can invest yourself how you want o upgrade the units, not fix upgrades you have, but dynamic ones...
lets say you get 10 tech point on planes and bombers for capping a certain sector. Now you can choose. give the falcon 4 techpoints on armour ( ie : + 2 armour) and use the other six on the warhammers speed or weapon power ( faste reload ie)

And that the A.I also has to conquer tech sectors so that they get upgrades.

This would lead to more tactical situations.
436 tigers vs 20 high flying bombers with good AI can't do scrap...
You have to make more decision and look careful on the intel: what are the taers going to do? Will the try to conquer sectors and gaina higher energy absrob rate or will they try to capture the Techcenter? Or are the goin to build a base behind my line of sight so that they can quickly attack?
Or are they producing a big squad of leos and phantoms to kill your HS?

Maybe UA would havw ot get a tad slower because 6 enemies teleporting around like there is no tomorrow can be quite stressing...
Or
I LL QUADDA YOU

Edward Fox
Slime Lord
Slime Lord

Post by Edward Fox » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:30 pm

The AI could certainly be improved. The other changes your suggesting do not really make that much sense. (Sorry.) Why should the enemy have to conquer technology upgrade sectors if they have been controlling the territory for quite some time? Part of the narrative is that the Resistance has been boxed into the Northern British Isles and has to slowly but surely advance to Parasite City.

Also if the enemy has to conquer tech sectors than the diversity ratio would be inverted. Think about it. If at Hyde Park the Resistance has one vehicle (0 upgrades) the Ghorkovs must have all vehicles (10 upgrades). If all tech sectors are located between Hyde Park and Parasite City and all territory has been conquered than the Resistance will have all vehicles (all upgrades) and the Ghorkovs will have one (0 upgrades). In the final level of the game and your only opposition consists of ghargoils, eisenhans and air prisms.

Along the same lines how would enemies reconquer territory. Would we loose previously acquired upgrades? Worst of all no player would want to spend more time jumping around constantly recapturing land and backtracking as opposed to advancing forward to the ultimate goal. Abort a map? Do we have to leave troops behind?

Another issue is that if you let players choose how they want to upgrade you are removing a constraint which makes the game more interesting. As the game currently stands I have no choice how upgrades are applied which forces me to be slightly more creative. If I had a free hand in how to develop my units I would take the wasp, falcon, fox and jaguar and upgrade them completely effectively ignoring other units. By allowing customization you afford players the freedom to reshape the game to an extent but you remove the adaptations brought on by limitations. At the same time the fact that specific upgrades are found on specific maps encourages players to seek a challenge. I always feel compelled to capture Wide Field as that is where the falcon can be found. Why bother engaging such a level without the incentive of a decent reward?

Sorry, but most games are fairly fine tuned and interconnected.

Brachy UA FREAK
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Brachy UA FREAK » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:44 pm

The Ghorkovs may have certain upgrades or 0 upgrades if you are a godlike player... ( maybe they get upgrades at certain levels to avoid that the gkovs are a 1 unit spammer faction...
And I do not mean that they loose the upgrades if you win the map or something like that...

Why should the progress be inverted?
Think about the ugprades multiplayer style.
map: taer res + ghor , 3 tech sectors each faction controls 1 tech. ( 10 research points[RP])
At start means that each faction has 10 RP which they can use on certain vehicles (IE: only scouts and helis)
If they cap all keysectors and beam out, the RPs are safed( and the unit status). The tech is now "lost" for the other 2 factions ( 20RP remain)
Resistance and Taercast now have to fight eahc other ( or beam out with what tech they may have or not.
The Resistance defend the ghor emtpy tech ( 10 points for them because they lost their tech vs ghorkovs). And they are able to cap the taer tech ( all 20
RP go to res if they survive and beam out). Now IF the taer kill the SDU, they get the 20 TP the resistance had). If the resistacne can'tkill the taer and they can beam out, the 20 RP are safed for the resistacne( remember certain upgrades)
The Taers are left with 0 RP but have the whole map/dome for them, which lead to certain buffs inl after levels ( ie: faster energy reload )
[ NOTE I'm not sure if the reconquer whole domes thing should be implented here]

Next map: No HS got destroyed every factions has for example 30 HS left.
Taer, res, ghor ( 40 TP on map).
Taer were last man standing( faster reload).
Res got 20 TP
Ghor 10 TP

Ghor cap all 4 tech sectors ( 40TP) and get killed by the taers. Now the taers get the 40 TP of the GKOVs and are able to beam out.

Resistance is last man standing gains faster reload.

Result after 2 levels:
Res 20 TP and faster reloadrate
Taer 40 TP and faster reloadrate
Ghor 10 TP normal reloadrate

The constraint here would be a good question. I agree that it remvoes certain constraint which makes some tech really aquireable ( maybe a combination out of this: 10 TP for falcons ( reload wpn dmg, faster accel or higher shield etc)
And a tech for 40 TP for all tanks ( ie 15 for weasel 25 for tiger). Now it depends on players style which upgrade he prefers. Or: reisstance knows that ghor get 50 TP for gigants and the taer only 15 for scout. It will be a real challenge for Ghors to cap the tech when resistance and taers know it woill b e horrible if they capture it.

Wel at least some thoguht of my side.

You think about UA with to few changes.
I don'T mean classic UA levels like ghorkovs have 88% of the dome and resistance 1 sector, that would make it not balanced( with good AI of course).
Or
I LL QUADDA YOU