New Urban Assault

Urban Assault is an old game and its rare blend of FPS and RTS deserves to be seen again. For those of you who want to start/coordinate projects to make an Urban Assault 2, this is a dedicated forum for you!
surfer1253
Zeppelin
Zeppelin

Re: New Urban Assault

Post by surfer1253 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:57 pm

I like this idea, the multiplayer could have a lot of modes. I believe the original UA was designed to be played more online, just see the number of MP maps, but internet in '98 was not ready for this type of thing, so the UA2 could be centered in multiplayer, but with good campaigns, with more history.
And the game could has three modes: Classic Campaign (where do you play as the original UA, but with better updated maps, more units, AI more complex, etc.) Modern Camapign (where all factions battle for the world domination, you would need to defend your territories, etc.) and Multiplayer (with a lot of modes and change of rules, besides user-content)
I don't believe the game need the second mode, but would be nice, because some player want some things more dynamic and with a bunch of changes.
I like that idea too...
And i like all the Brojnstein ideas and i shall add there shall be not 2 new factions but 3 or 4 new factions...
That would make the game supremely more exciting.
Another nice thing would be single and multiplayer teams.
You know like in some campaigns there are 2 taerkasten fortresses and so they dont destroy each-other but there shall be like Resistance and (a new faction that would like to destroy the aliens and the rebels)it would be awsome.
And even some commands like in some Strategy games there is command that u say 1 in game chat and it says like attack this bla bla...and they attack it...
And even do a "wonder protecting campaign" not truly a wonder is needed but you can do a bionic power source or something like that i dont know...
And as for the weather you should do an eventually changing weather time like sometimes its sunny somtimes its rainy because it shouldnt be all time just sun :P u would be roasted by now :P :lol:
Taerkasten:
We crush,we smash,
none can oppose us!

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:30 am

What is your puprose on bumping the old thread with an implausible idea...
It seems UA was made for a strict concept of deathmatch warfare. As start movie states, 'No ally existance.' The evidence is in UA when the multiple Host Stations are sharing the exact same Power Station, every Host Station receives equally pure amount of energy and there is no power reduction at all.

3 or 4 More Faction: Even the game with 3 factions requires endless balancing work. The existing 4 factions in UA and their characteristics are suitable. We just need more units. Not a new factions. Unless it is a Single-Player specific faction.

Weather Effect: This is one of the most skillful job that even veteran programmers are putting large efforts to design. I don't believe there will be a people who can freely fulfil this job for an unofficial 3rd party game.

Wonder Protecting Campaign: The Stoudson Bomb shares function of both 'King of the Hill' and 'Wonder' mode. Although it is rather similar to KOTH not the Wonder. However, balancing the level for these kind of mode will be very hard in complete 3D environment.

After all, the most needed mode for an UA is Random Custom Match with an AI where the player can set various settings before game starts.
;----------------------------------------------------------
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;
;----------------------------------------------------------

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!

MarioSDU6/SDU7
Slime Lord
Slime Lord

Post by MarioSDU6/SDU7 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:19 am

CharlotteLabyrinth wrote:What is your puprose on bumping the old thread with an implausible idea...
It seems UA was made for a strict concept of deathmatch warfare. As start movie states, 'No ally existance.' The evidence is in UA when the multiple Host Stations are sharing the exact same Power Station, every Host Station receives equally pure amount of energy and there is no power reduction at all.

3 or 4 More Faction: Even the game with 3 factions requires endless balancing work. The existing 4 factions in UA and their characteristics are suitable. We just need more units. Not a new factions. Unless it is a Single-Player specific faction.

Weather Effect: This is one of the most skillful job that even veteran programmers are putting large efforts to design. I don't believe there will be a people who can freely fulfil this job for an unofficial 3rd party game.

Wonder Protecting Campaign: The Stoudson Bomb shares function of both 'King of the Hill' and 'Wonder' mode. Although it is rather similar to KOTH not the Wonder. However, balancing the level for these kind of mode will be very hard in complete 3D environment.

After all, the most needed mode for an UA is Random Custom Match with an AI where the player can set various settings before game starts.
Implausible, BUT possible. We must go deeper and make it much more detailed and versatile. Not easy at all (extremely difficult), but very rewarding if it's accomplished and implemented right. UA has no ally faction, but in multiplayer sequels, it can work in case of maps with 1vs2 or 1vs3 (with friendly fire) such as All Versus me! or Rock-n-Roll - XPack.

3 or 4 More Faction: Hmmm... It should be better that matches allow players to do the settings from 2 to 8 players (human or AI) with their faction (1 of the 4 factions selected) and different color. And yes, new vehicles should be added, and lots of revising would be needed to make all factions with their units balanced and with different roles we can ever imagine.

Weather Effect: Currently, either the programmers on this project left and forgot this, or they are busy with their lives in university, work, etc. So the only thing to do is to have patience, and to kill time, continue with what we were doing (like playing Aoe2, drawing and animating, etc).

Wonder Protecting Campaign: it's true it will be very difficult, but it's usually better more concrete ideas for different modes accessible to everyone. So I think the Wonder Protecting mode, may be odd and not always concrete and appealing for everyone tastes (which means mixed reception and better to think of another great idea that will work).

And yes, the Random Custom Match can also work pretty much well, much like Age of Empires with matches of 2 or more players (1 player vs 1-7 AI players). Although we're also gonna need to implement the Random Custom Deathmatch setting (with lots of energy and fight until running out of creation energy).
Intense Mod progress (it includes tests):
Resistance 100% done
Demo version uncertain fate
New Ghorkov and Taerkasten 100% done

Factions of choice: Resistance, Ghorkovs, Taerkastens

surfer1253
Zeppelin
Zeppelin

Post by surfer1253 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:04 pm

Ummm ok guys i tell you something: we are thinking to make the UA game bigger and not smaller...and i have a nice idea.
You know at multiplayer when you die you have to quit.So it would be better if you can observe...So you wont be bored waiting for the match to end.Its like if there are 2 pros and you died the match would go on for about another 30 minutes lol...
New factions:Its not neccesery for so much new factions ok i agreed with you guys but at least 1 or 2 new factions but be so nice :) and also new units...
Taerkasten:
We crush,we smash,
none can oppose us!

GhorDragoon
Weasel
Weasel

Post by GhorDragoon » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:18 am

A sequel of UA would be cool but I think is better a remake of the first one. Because with a remake the story could be explained better also becuase in my opinion I like more the factions of UA1.

Edward Fox
Slime Lord
Slime Lord

Post by Edward Fox » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:24 pm

Whatever happens could I please suggest that we (you) start small and not become so ambitious that you get bogged down and end up abandoning the project.
]http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd33 ... nceUB1.png[/img]

]http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd33 ... ensUB2.png[/img]

I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior. If you have too and you aren't afraid to say it, copy and paste this into your signature.

Thomas Fredson
Emperor of the Mykonians (Veteran)
Emperor of the Mykonians (Veteran)

Post by Thomas Fredson » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:38 pm

Yep. Edward is right. And as I already stated in a previous post, stay organised! Don't get away from your primary goal.

This way, we should be able to get a good game which is consistent.
But I think I'm talking to emptyness as nothing has been done yet...
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/MykoniansUB1.png[/img]
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/MykoniansUB2.png[/img]
://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t318/Al-Khabir/UrbanAssaultSig4.gif[/img]

Also administrator of UAFr Board

The Big Mistake album in progress! (ABORTED)

surfer1253
Zeppelin
Zeppelin

Post by surfer1253 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:15 pm

Anyways i got a nice idea...If you can make it i want you to make another UA launcher mby called UA the aliens and it would be like 3 factions fighting each other on different planets.... :lol: I mean only alien factions like the same ones as UA 1 that are: mykonian , sulgogar and black sect and mby 1 new faction just do as u wish lol :)
Taerkasten:
We crush,we smash,
none can oppose us!

Brachy UA FREAK
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Brachy UA FREAK » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:25 pm

Blacksect don'T have any units owned by them beside flaks, addiotnally they are humans.
GET YOUR HANDS OFF FROM THAT PARASITE!
Or
I LL QUADDA YOU

://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/MykoniansUB1.png
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/X01-Quadda.gif

Myko Mod [MID] back alive after long hiatus!

surfer1253
Zeppelin
Zeppelin

Post by surfer1253 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:37 pm

Than just remake the black sect to a new faction and done LOL :)
Taerkasten:
We crush,we smash,
none can oppose us!