Game Design Opportunity

Urban Assault is an old game and its rare blend of FPS and RTS deserves to be seen again. For those of you who want to start/coordinate projects to make an Urban Assault 2, this is a dedicated forum for you!
Alfa
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Re: Game Design Opportunity

Post by Alfa » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:31 pm

Not stealth as perfect invisibility, but stealth tech. Exactly as an ability of each unit. Or/And camouflaged buildings, etc.
://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff34/AlfaGoon/GIMP/cannabitchsig.gif?t=1226184091[/img]

leftylink
Useless Bystander Admin
Useless Bystander Admin

Post by leftylink » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:56 am

Nothing But Leonids wrote:I did some research on the Crystal Space Gaming Engine and found I believe it would work the best.
To me this also looks like the best way to go, but I think it should be noted that the final decision should be made by consensus of the final members of the team who will be interacting with the engine... this would mostly mean whoever's coding (it's important that the engine not be painful to code with) and maybe graphics people. So this is not set in stone yet (not to say that you did set it in stone, but for general knowledge).
Nothing But Leonids wrote:Here is my idea for the game:
[snip]
Thank you for reading.
Whoooo, looks like you've thought this through a bit. Do you intend for this to be sort of a storyline extension of UA, or a separate thing altogether?
I won't go too far into game design, but I'll say the diversification of factions is good. Variety is good.
Nothing But Leonids wrote:The only thing that is similar to Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander is the (CU) and the tiers. Everything else is my idea. The void sphere is different, having an explosion when the (CU) is destroyed is cliche for me so why not a void rift, or whatever you want to call it(a freakin blackhole pops out of nowhere, what the hell happened to my base!). This is only my idea, for now I have created the foundation and just need the building blocks.
Did a quick lookup of TA and SC to see what they were all about; when you first mentioned them I thought you were talking about Spring, but that's a different thing altogether... and I couldn't figure out how to get Spring to work either :(. Also, Spring's engine would've been nice to use, but it is GPL'd.
Anyway, sure, it looks fine...
As for the void... again, having something new is good.
Nothing But Leonids wrote:My guess is in time when I have the graphics made, I think I go into Flash and do the animations. How it links to the game from there, I do not know. Our coders should though.
Careful... I think you are sorely underestimating the scope of the project. Flash animation and 3D animation are very very different things... Flash has nothing to do with what we're doing, really. We'll have the 3D models, and the game engine will animate them... actually, I don't even know how 3D animation works, so that's going to be an interesting endeavor either way.
~Leftylink, the former Useless Bystander Admin.
Retired from UA since university. May play again someday...

"SERP RUSH KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE!!!"
"OMG I SAID NO RUSH 15 MINS!!!!!!" *dies*

Proud creator of the Urban Assault Campaign Guides [Resistance] [Ghorkov] [Taerkasten], the Urban Assault LDF Reader, and the Excel maps

Nothing But Leonids
Weasel
Weasel

Post by Nothing But Leonids » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:37 am

leftylink wrote:Whoooo, looks like you've thought this through a bit. Do you intend for this to be sort of a storyline extension of UA, or a separate thing altogether?
I won't go too far into game design, but I'll say the diversification of factions is good. Variety
A whole new game, the only thing brought from UA is the aspect of being able to man your units.
leftylink wrote:Careful... I think you are sorely underestimating the scope of the project. Flash animation and 3D animation are very very different things... Flash has nothing to do with what we're doing, really. We'll have the 3D models, and the game engine will animate them... actually, I don't even know how 3D animation works, so that's going to be an interesting endeavor either way
I was talking about the interface of the game. Which I would do some things in 3D S max then render it out as a JPEG and pull it into Photoshop for the rest. When I say go into 3D studio max and do something I will basically be making a object(like glass i/e window) and having the materical be transparent or translucent for the interface to look cooler and also 3Dish. When I was talking about Flash, I meant do some of the coding for the interface and some of the graphic animations. I will find a tutorial on how to make a the border of the interface short ciruit with sparks as you mouse over it or have a random throughout the game.

As for 3D modeling, that is done in a modeling program. Maya, 3D S Max, etc. How to code it to have the animations "do this" depending "on this" is unknown for me.

Also, I need to find a program that specializes in terrain level design for games.

As for the team I would like the following:

at least
☼ 3 Programmers
☼ 5 3D Modelers/Animators
☼ 2 Concept Artists
☼ 2 Graphic Artists for Texturing the 3D models.

I will be doing the interface, the menu screen, and everything that menu screen links to. You know

Campaign
Skirmish
Multiplayer
Settings
Load

and all that stuff, it is basically one fancy smancy website if you think about it. Done in flash. The only coding I do is in flash.

By the way Leftylink, when you code do you leave comments around each sequence Ex.( /rotating cannon clockwise)

If you dont, assuming you do, this is better for others reading the code after you did it to find the problem if there is one. Also from personal experience with my Flash tank game, I searched the coding for about 30 minutes trying to find this certain coding for a hit test on projectile and object. :P

leftylink
Useless Bystander Admin
Useless Bystander Admin

Post by leftylink » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:56 am

Nothing But Leonids wrote:I was talking about the interface of the game. Which I would do some things in 3D S max then render it out as a JPEG and pull it into Photoshop for the rest. When I say go into 3D studio max and do something I will basically be making a object(like glass i/e window) and having the materical be transparent or translucent for the interface to look cooler and also 3Dish. When I was talking about Flash, I meant do some of the coding for the interface and some of the graphic animations. I will find a tutorial on how to make a the border of the interface short ciruit with sparks as you mouse over it or have a random throughout the game.

As for 3D modeling, that is done in a modeling program. Maya, 3D S Max, etc. How to code it to have the animations "do this" depending "on this" is unknown for me.
Eh, if you'll notice, my last mention of "3d animation" was actually a link to the wikipedia article, through which I did some research. I suppose it'll all come clear when the thing is getting programmed, because that's what (whatever 3d engine we're using) is for!
Nothing But Leonids wrote:As for the team I would like the following:

at least
☼ 3 Programmers
☼ 5 3D Modelers/Animators
☼ 2 Concept Artists
☼ 2 Graphic Artists for Texturing the 3D models.
Were these just arbitrary numbers, or do these numbers reflect an actual game design team (no, I do not know how they do it in the industry). You can say you want the following, but you do not come across people with the necessary skill every day, and certainly not on a forum like this... unless you intend to recruit elsewhere, we may have to make do with fewer people than you envision...
Nothing But Leonids wrote:I will be doing the interface, the menu screen, and everything that menu screen links to. You know

Campaign
Skirmish
Multiplayer
Settings
Load

and all that stuff, it is basically one fancy smancy website if you think about it. Done in flash. The only coding I do is in flash.
I still doubt that we'll be able to randomly embed a .swf file into our game and call it our menu, but... I won't say anything just now. I'll just keep my mouth shut.
Nothing But Leonids wrote:By the way Leftylink, when you code do you leave comments around each sequence Ex.( /rotating cannon clockwise)

If you dont, assuming you do, this is better for others reading the code after you did it to find the problem if there is one. Also from personal experience with my Flash tank game, I searched the coding for about 30 minutes trying to find this certain coding for a hit test on projectile and object. :P
It depends. I won't comment something painfully obvious like this:

Code: Select all

int x = 5 + 2;
/*
Here I am creating an integer (int) called x
and assigning (that's what the = sign does) the result of 5 + 2 to it,
so its value is going to be 7, because five plus two equals seven!
*/
This just insults everyone's intelligence and is completely unnecessary.

Hopefully code is semi-self-documenting so more things become obvious just by looking at the code so you don't even need to add comments... for example

if (missile.hits(player)) {
    player.hp -= missile.damage;
    missile.remove();
}
is pretty understandable for anyone. (Cooked up the example in 30 seconds, but you get the idea)

I hope that I have developed the good coding habit of commenting when it is necessary... for example, if you're using the atan2 function, you usually want y/x, so the following comment would explain that discrepancy...

// Yes, we switched X and Y, for bearing. Don't kill us.
	// atan2(x, y) gives us a bearing where robot facing forward is 0, right 90, left -90
	// etc. etc. Handy eh?
 	target = (int)(DegFromRad(atan2(x, y)));
~Leftylink, the former Useless Bystander Admin.
Retired from UA since university. May play again someday...

"SERP RUSH KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE!!!"
"OMG I SAID NO RUSH 15 MINS!!!!!!" *dies*

Proud creator of the Urban Assault Campaign Guides [Resistance] [Ghorkov] [Taerkasten], the Urban Assault LDF Reader, and the Excel maps

O Y ME
Emperor of the Mykonians (Veteran)

Post by O Y ME » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:58 am

I made a topic a while back about how I would like a UA sequel to be made. In it, I have some interesting ideas on how to diversify the factions more and make the gameplay more smooth. If you have factions A, B, C, etc have stuff like what I have posted in that topic, it should add some more detail to the game. I think my sulgogar idea is the most unique of them all. Just my way of making things unique from one another. Take a look at my first post and tell me what you think.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=136&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Also, about the programming part. I don't think I can understand python unless I get a professional to help me mainly because all these python tutorials seem to enjoy pretending like they think you don't know anything about coding when they actually think that you do have some experience (sorry if that confused you). The video tutorials don't work for me on the official Python website and youtube is just to large to look through (for a detailed guide at least that doesn't involve clicking on many different profiles).
The only reason why I still have the want to learn programming is simply because of the sulgogar mod I made. I was so proud of myself of the hours of work I put into it that I finally felt I found out what I wanted to do in life so I wanted to expand on something like that. Not to mention that I also found learning hexdecimal to be VERY easy (and because of this, I feel learning anything else like this: octdecimal, quaddecimal, etc isn't any different [don't know if those exist or not but I hope you understand my point in this sentence]).
National martial law is finally here.

Nothing But Leonids
Weasel
Weasel

Post by Nothing But Leonids » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:59 am

leftylink wrote:Were these just arbitrary numbers, or do these numbers reflect an actual game design team (no, I do not know how they do it in the industry). You can say you want the following, but you do not come across people with the necessary skill every day, and certainly not on a forum like this... unless you intend to recruit elsewhere, we may have to make do with fewer people than you envision...
Yes, I am considering making a post in a 3DSM forums and hopefully will get some volunteers. BTW the numbers are not even close to the numbers a Game Design company uses. It will take time to find these people, but they are out there waiting to be found, waiting to read my post and be interested and respond.

Darth_Cthulhu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Darth_Cthulhu » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:47 pm

Whoa, people, my mind is blown apart... This is SO much english words :)
But as i've seen our problems are engine, concept, and staff (coders, modellers etc) ?
Let's create a new err... new forum branch... (i dunno how is called this thing... on main forum page you select "Important", "General", "Faction specific", i hope you get it). And call it "Developement". There we will suggest our concepts, vote on engine possibilites, post our art :)
As for me - i would gladly participate in this. After reading some topics i've started modelling hi-poly UA units :) But as i can see UA2 is not going to be the same...
C++ developer. Failed to learn OGRE and worked in gamedev. Alcoholic and chain-smoker.

Anarchid
Weasel
Weasel

Post by Anarchid » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:27 pm

But as i've seen our problems are engine, concept, and staff (coders, modellers etc) ?
As Zorg said: you want it done well, do it yourselves. As this is a community project this way or that, you can only recruit by propaganda, and your best propaganda is that done by deed.

I utterly doubt it you'll ever be able to recruit volunteers into a "proprietary" project, so the open-source model seems to be the way; Judging from how stuff like Wesnoth operates, the way to do it is just *start doing it*, and when you have ANYTHING to show then show it, release it. Publicity is life; oblivion is death.
Let's create a new err... new forum branch... (i dunno how is called this thing... on main forum page you select "Important", "General", "Faction specific", i hope you get it). And call it "Developement". There we will suggest our concepts, vote on engine possibilites, post our art :)
2ch this, +500. Any admins listening here? :P
After reading some topics i've started modelling hi-poly UA units
Mai veri desires to STEAL those units for Metropolis Spring. :P

Necroposting ftw.

O Y ME

Post by O Y ME » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:01 am

Sorry to disappoint you guys but I gave up learning python a few months back. I couldn't figure it out due to the large amount of algebra required to learn it. While I didn't learn python, I l did learn how programming works from the most basic level. Just a bunch of small code you create to form larger code that does specific actions. Now even though I can't program, I can help elsewhere.
leftylink wrote:I can't do squat with art, user interface design, storyline, or graphics or design in general, so don't ask me about that. I might be able to do 3D modeling, but I don't have any skill at it, I just know where to go to learn it (We use CAD in FIRST robotics...)
I'm mediocre with art but I'm sure I could draw concept stuff. Although talented art like this ( viewtopic.php?f=25&t=238 ) is something I can't compete with. I can't create a level editor, though I can build levels with one really well. I can make complex starcraft maps if I wanted to (to bad I can't host :(). Storyline is something I'd like to put a lot of my time in. I actually already have a UA2 story already made up now actually and I'll make sure to post it in the story forums when I have more time on my hands. Graphics design I can't help with anywhere and I doubt microsoft paint counts as graphics :lol:. I can't do real programming as I said above though I can do really easy tedious work such as hexadecimal.

I don't think I can put a lot of time into an actual UA2 game right now, but I can use the time to relieve stress and kill time by coming here. :mrgreen:
National martial law is finally here.

Nemphis
Ghargoil 1
Ghargoil 1

Post by Nemphis » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:55 pm

i don't think a sequel would be a good idea but maybe a prequel would E.G. the rise of the Gorkhovs, the fall of earth and the big mistake things like that would allow for more customization we could also do a storyline on how the black sect became a major faction and how they got the host station prototype oh ill put my name down for modeling but i cant make textures
Last edited by Nemphis on Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.