Game Design Opportunity

Urban Assault is an old game and its rare blend of FPS and RTS deserves to be seen again. For those of you who want to start/coordinate projects to make an Urban Assault 2, this is a dedicated forum for you!
Nothing But Leonids
Weasel
Weasel

Re: Game Design Opportunity

Post by Nothing But Leonids » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:30 am

Using the Unreal Engine 1 should be sufficial.

This question is for Gyiyg: What 3D modeling program do you use?

This question is for Fra6160: Are you familiar with any adobe products? Drawing with hands could be wonderful for concept art for new models.

This question is for O Y ME: Are you self learning Python? Anyway good luck with learning it. Coding is very tough.

I believe once I get somebody who knows how to code well, everything will fall into place. The idea of my game as I stated before will be similar to the functionality of UA, but much better in all aspects. Of course UA is an old game and anything in this day of age will have better graphics.

Once I feel we have a suitable team to begin the project I will share my idea of how the basics of this game will be and of course I would like the team to share their ideas and discuss on using what we think is the best idea.

This is not a remake of UA, something original that is RTS and you have the ability to go in and manually control the unit/s and be apart of the action.

Fra6160
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Fra6160 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:41 am

Okay this sounds good to me. As for your question: nope, not really, but I might since I'm enough good in drawing, especially with my hands. If you can, explain me how to draw something on some adobe product and then you'll judge my design.
THE FALL OF SDU MOD WORKS IN PROGRESS (16%) - STOPPED - ABANDONED

Download it here: http://www.gamefront.com/files/20703518 ... a+Demo.rar

O Y ME
Emperor of the Mykonians (Veteran)

Post by O Y ME » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:49 pm

Nothing But Leonids wrote:This question is for O Y ME: Are you self learning Python? Anyway good luck with learning it. Coding is very tough.
Yeah, I am learning it on my own. Best way is trial and error right? Although right now, it's very slow going. But hopefully as I learn more, things will pick up.
National martial law is finally here.

Nothing But Leonids
Weasel
Weasel

Post by Nothing But Leonids » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:04 pm

Fra6160 wrote:Okay this sounds good to me. As for your question: nope, not really, but I might since I'm enough good in drawing, especially with my hands. If you can, explain me how to draw something on some adobe product and then you'll judge my design.
In this case, you would draw the model from the front/side/back so the 3D modelers can see the concept. This is done with your utensil of choice and scanned into the computer and sent into the team for troubleshooting. If it passes the "I like it" look then the 3D modelers go into play.

I was putting some ideas in your head about adobe. Adobe Photoshop could possibly be something you would enjoy. I am very familiar with most Adobe products, especially photoshop. I am also mediocre in 3D Studio Max and I just need more experience with all programs to better my all around talent.
O Y ME wrote:Yeah, I am learning it on my own. Best way is trial and error right? Although right now, it's very slow going. But hopefully as I learn more, things will pick up.
Best way is to be taught the correct way, the second is trial and error. Experimenting is also a nice way to learn once you know what you are doing. Keep learning the program. Can Python be used for game coding? Hit Detection? Waypoints on Minimap? On Key press - React? Run a system of checks when a condition is met to find a suitable reaction?

Stuff like that?

O Y ME

Post by O Y ME » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:31 pm

Well, assuming NASA uses it, I would guess so. I have seen a video of it being used to translate Celsius into Fahrenheit so most I'm sure hitpoints wouldn't be too hard. In either case, I need to learn the simplest language first which is Python.
National martial law is finally here.

Nothing But Leonids
Weasel
Weasel

Post by Nothing But Leonids » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:50 am

O Y ME wrote:Well, assuming NASA uses it, I would guess so. I have seen a video of it being used to translate Celsius into Fahrenheit so most I'm sure hitpoints wouldn't be too hard. In either case, I need to learn the simplest language first which is Python.
I am in no hurry to get this project started, if by then you happen to be knowledgable of programming to some degree and feel that you can take on the job of programming for this certain game, then by all means I will not have any disputes. There are still more things fore me to learn as well and to become much better at.

Good luck with learning Python.

By the way, do you happen to know what is the coding called on Flash, I am decent on Flash coding for websites, games, etc. What I do not know, I find on tutorials and put things together to fit my needs.

leftylink
Useless Bystander Admin
Useless Bystander Admin

Post by leftylink » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:16 am

I think Flash uses ActionScript or something... something similar to JavaScript anyhow.

Lovely... here's what I can do for this project.

I can't do squat with art, user interface design, storyline, or graphics or design in general, so don't ask me about that. I might be able to do 3D modeling, but I don't have any skill at it, I just know where to go to learn it (We use CAD in FIRST robotics...)

As for programming... here's what experience I've got for you... all self taught because my school is silly and doesn't have any programming or computer science courses. Times are approximate...
- JavaScript for 7 years, used it to make this nice web-based calculator for a stat-based roleplaying game. It was pretty nice... I'm proud of that little piece of work there.
- HTML for 7 years, but that's not really programming. Oh well...
- C for 3 years, mostly used for systems-level programming (FIRST robotics, again...)
- PHP for 2.5 years, made random websites, a nice database-driven web interface for a call monitoring system.
- C++, Java, C# for... maybe 1 year and haven't really used them, but I know the languages and could use them if called for. Of those, C++ in particular would be the most useful for game programming if we're looking for speed and performance. IMHO.
- Trying to learn a little Python (3.0, not the old 2.6 ...), but that's on hold for a while.

I know, I know... it looks nice and all, but really, I've got real life to attend to. So, I don't know how much of my time I can contribute for you. I'll be here if you need me, but... I can't guarantee anything right now. If my schedule frees up, ever, I would be up for this... I think it'd be a nice way to use some free time and feel accomplished while doing it. As it stands though... bleah.
~Leftylink, the former Useless Bystander Admin.
Retired from UA since university. May play again someday...

"SERP RUSH KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE!!!"
"OMG I SAID NO RUSH 15 MINS!!!!!!" *dies*

Proud creator of the Urban Assault Campaign Guides [Resistance] [Ghorkov] [Taerkasten], the Urban Assault LDF Reader, and the Excel maps

Nothing But Leonids
Weasel
Weasel

Post by Nothing But Leonids » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:57 pm

Nice leftylink,

I did some PhP and some MySQL on some websites but didnt get into it. It is mainly for database websites. Just keep me updated and I am in no rush to get this started. This sort of thing takes time and planning and I have not the team yet to get it started, but at least I have 2 people from here to help.

Programming comes in later and of course is a major job and is probably the most important.

Just curious: When does your time "free" up. I will need your assistance in the future, by future I mean months from now(4-10). It all depends when I get the team togethor to start brainstorming about it.

By the way FRA6160 can you show me some drawing that you ahve done?

leftylink
Useless Bystander Admin
Useless Bystander Admin

Post by leftylink » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:50 pm

I will finish current projects by January, but then more projects start up, and I'll probably be busy every day during that. I should be more free after March, so maybe we will be able to talk then.
~Leftylink, the former Useless Bystander Admin.
Retired from UA since university. May play again someday...

"SERP RUSH KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE!!!"
"OMG I SAID NO RUSH 15 MINS!!!!!!" *dies*

Proud creator of the Urban Assault Campaign Guides [Resistance] [Ghorkov] [Taerkasten], the Urban Assault LDF Reader, and the Excel maps

Nothing But Leonids
Weasel
Weasel

Post by Nothing But Leonids » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:50 am

leftylink wrote:I will finish all college apps by January, but then FIRST build season starts up, and I'll probably be busy every day during that. I should be more free after March, so maybe we will be able to talk then.
Cool, by that time my skills should have improved a good amount and hopefully we have added more to the team.

Do you have any leads to other people who would be interested or any idea how to get a gaming engine(gaming engines can be so expensive). I researched the Unreal Engine 1 and it seems like it would suit our needs. Your opinions?

If in favor of the Unreal Engine 1, does anyone know how to attain it?