UA in Unity Game Engine

Urban Assault is an old game and its rare blend of FPS and RTS deserves to be seen again. For those of you who want to start/coordinate projects to make an Urban Assault 2, this is a dedicated forum for you!
Remork
Firefly
Firefly

Re: UA in Unity Game Engine

Post by Remork » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:18 pm

http://cgchan.com/scenecity/

BOOM we've got ourselves a level generator :D

pete_kaboom
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by pete_kaboom » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:51 am

Well, if anyone does go ahead with it (fan, official, inspired by or spiritual sequel, whatever the term is), just let me know. My schedule's pretty busy these days, but I do have extensive experience with Unity3D (4 years worth, 1 year professional, though I'll admit, it's mostly in the 2D aspect). I got a library of plugins which may help speed up the development process, and can pump out a prototype fairly quickly. Issue is that we're going to need some artists, something that's a deficiency around here. If I got time, I'd love to contribute to the project as a developer, as long as someone's willing to do the hard yard on the design of the game (and present it in layman format).
Ormu wrote:Pete_kaboom found out that the trade mark of UA has expired and Microsoft has not renewed it. I don't really know how this affects possible UA2 projects but it's good to know.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1463&p=15921#p15921
Issue with the trademark is that it's only one aspect of intellectual property, though at the least, it shows that MS doesn't really care about it (thus more likely to let it go without a million dollar price tag or at least willing to consider someone to develop a game & they handle the publishing... though I doubt they'd be willing to pursue it unless it looks smashing even with the prototype). Still, one can hope...
Once MS has in writing that they agree to transfer the rights of the game to someone else (and said party, aka Chaotic Realm Studios, LLC), and said party announces it (since journalists don't really care about UA), then we can breathe easy that we'll probably see a reboot of it.

Remork
Firefly
Firefly

Post by Remork » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:13 pm

Im actually a graphic designer/artist who went a bit nuts with learning to code since I find it really important that im able to execute my own ideas and have an understanding of what I can ask of developers. I'm not very experienced with 3D modelling yet, but since my current job requires it I'm learning it anyway, it's going relatively fast so far. So I can work on pretty much every aspect of the game, but being backed up by an experienced programmer would be a major plus.

I'll have to take some time to work out my ideas further and present them w sketches. I'd like to hear your take on the feasibility of some mechanics I'd like to achieve (Some of them are kinda far out)

What kind of libraries do you have for Unity? Free/paid? I dont know how licensing works for those.

pete_kaboom
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by pete_kaboom » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:00 am

Remork wrote:Im actually a graphic designer/artist who went a bit nuts with learning to code since I find it really important that im able to execute my own ideas and have an understanding of what I can ask of developers. I'm not very experienced with 3D modelling yet, but since my current job requires it I'm learning it anyway, it's going relatively fast so far. So I can work on pretty much every aspect of the game, but being backed up by an experienced programmer would be a major plus.
No worries, in fact depending on what application you're planning to use to model, learning some scripting/programming would be an advantage later on (I know maya allows people to use python scripts). I think if you can handle the art & design side of things, leave me to import & sort the assets within the game and do the bulk of the programming. That would be a relatively good flow for now. If you're experienced in conceptual/promotional art, that'd be a plus!
Remork wrote:I'll have to take some time to work out my ideas further and present them w sketches. I'd like to hear your take on the feasibility of some mechanics I'd like to achieve (Some of them are kinda far out).
For me, I tend to handle the implementation side of things rather than review the balancing & viability of certain features within the game. We have a lot of people that are familiar with UA, the mechanics they want to see and how well it might work out in the game. For me, I'll probably only look at it from a "How hard is it to implement" perspective ;)
Remork wrote:What kind of libraries do you have for Unity? Free/paid? I dont know how licensing works for those.
I've got quite a number of paid ones, due to the nature of my work (got a while bunch of stuff to make 2D easier, but those don't count). I've got stuff like substance packs, skyboxes, cloud and cloud trail generators, particle extensions, in-game cinematic tools, VR tools to make VR-based UI easier (why not), A* pathfinding, anti-cheat tools & networking alternatives (bolt), fragmentation, sounds effects, etc. Most of them are single-seat licences, but there's no check on most of them. Plus, we're probably not going to use all of them, so it won't be too expensive to purchase another licence if more developers come on board.
In terms of what version of Unity we'll be using, I'll be working on Unity 5 Personal edition. Don't think that should be an issue. We'll probably be using git as version control, so it'll be good if you're already familiar with it, though it's fairly easy to pick up if you haven't yet.

Remork
Firefly
Firefly

Post by Remork » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:32 pm

I'm actually going for Blender, since I didn't want to deal with the whole cracking paid software thing again, and it really seems like a powerful solution once you get accustomed to the UI philosophy, working out fine so far.

As far as art goes, I think it's a good idea to use/edit as many freely available models as possible. Blendswap has some amazing vehicle/building models and I'm sure there are more out there. The Unity asset store has some okay free ones ... and some really nice paid ones. https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/13575 If that one was something like 50 bucks I'd consider buying it but it's too expensive as it is. Really nice for inspiration though. I loved the concept of UA but I wouldn't mind seeing some visual upgrades on the units, give the game a more contemporary look etc. I'm collecting a whole bunch right now but I already hit my monthly download cap on blendswap. Might just get me one of those 24h licenses for unlimited downloads once I've mapped out their entire database.

I'm totally down with Github btw, I'd been meaning to check it out for some time. Where is a good place to learn about it?
I assume we can't really use it as a filesharing service? In that case, do you have a Copy? (like dropbox but secure) Just some system to share assets etc.

I've mostly programmed with Java so I'm loving C# so far. For some reason I thought it was sort of like objective-C .... but luckily its not. But yeah its better if you take care of most of the coding work for now. I'll need some more time to get better acquainted with the Unity framework.

Hetzel
Firefly
Firefly

Post by Hetzel » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:47 am

DUUUUUDE! I love that IDEA! I wouldn't change the names of anything if you guys made Urban Assault on a diff engine. Just change the title :P Keep everything else! Shit i know Steam has a seciton which allows people to put indie games on it. You guys could use steam to jumpstart the launch and get major support! Or you can just keep it in-house for us hardcore Urban Assault players who love this game so much. I dream your dream man. So cool
NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWA OF MY SCRAP TANKS!

pete_kaboom
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by pete_kaboom » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:25 am

Remork wrote:I'm actually going for Blender, since I didn't want to deal with the whole cracking paid software thing again, and it really seems like a powerful solution once you get accustomed to the UI philosophy, working out fine so far.
Yeah, I'm cool with that. I've seen what you can do with it, and messed around with it before as well (viewtopic.php?f=25&t=550&p=15415#p15415 :D).
Remork wrote: As far as art goes, I think it's a good idea to use/edit as many freely available models as possible. Blendswap has some amazing vehicle/building models and I'm sure there are more out there. The Unity asset store has some okay free ones ... and some really nice paid ones. https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/13575 If that one was something like 50 bucks I'd consider buying it but it's too expensive as it is. Really nice for inspiration though. I loved the concept of UA but I wouldn't mind seeing some visual upgrades on the units, give the game a more contemporary look etc. I'm collecting a whole bunch right now but I already hit my monthly download cap on blendswap. Might just get me one of those 24h licenses for unlimited downloads once I've mapped out their entire database.
Yeah, anything to speed up the process. I'd prefer if the textures are visually consistent, at least, but I'm cool with sourcing free models for use or editing.

Remork wrote:I'm totally down with Github btw, I'd been meaning to check it out for some time. Where is a good place to learn about it?
Glad you're up for using it :D We're probably going to be hosting the git repository on Atlassian's BitBucket so we can set it to be free yet private, as github only allows free public repositories (so anyone can access the repository), and paid requires a monthly subscription.
If you want to learn git, there are a lot of tutorials out there that can teach you, though I learnt it through a person at a game jam I attended earlier this year.

The basic functions you'll be using is clone (which creates a copy of the repository onto your computer), commit (which saves the changes to the folder locally onto your computer), push (which sends the committed changes to the server-based repository), and pull (which syncs your files with any changes made to the server-based repository).

All you need to get it working is Git (http://git-scm.com/) and a Git revision control client, which includes TortoiseGit, which is simple but pretty barebones (https://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/wiki/Download) or SourceTree, which is Atlassian's application for Git (https://www.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/overview).

If we go with github (as it allows unlimited users for free or paid plans if we anticipate having more than 5 people onboard), you can use Github for windows instead of TortoiseGit or SourceTree (https://windows.github.com/), though I don't think you can use the Github client on Bitbucket repositories. If you want to learn how to use git, probably best to search on tutorials on the Git revision control clients, so it shows you the interface as well as the use.
Remork wrote:I assume we can't really use it as a filesharing service? In that case, do you have a Copy? (like dropbox but secure) Just some system to share assets etc.
I've only used cloud storage solutions for file transfers, to be honest. I might ask my friend about setting up a secure FTP solution, but I think just a normal FTP or over dropbox should be fine, unless we're planning to share something sensitive or you prefer not to have your assets stolen/viewed by others.
Remork wrote:I've mostly programmed with Java so I'm loving C# so far. For some reason I thought it was sort of like objective-C .... but luckily its not. But yeah its better if you take care of most of the coding work for now. I'll need some more time to get better acquainted with the Unity framework.
Yeah, I've programmed in Java before, its fairly easy to pick up C# if you know Java as the syntax and structure are fairly similar :)
Hetzel wrote:DUUUUUDE! I love that IDEA! I wouldn't change the names of anything if you guys made Urban Assault on a diff engine. Just change the title :P Keep everything else! Shit i know Steam has a seciton which allows people to put indie games on it. You guys could use steam to jumpstart the launch and get major support! Or you can just keep it in-house for us hardcore Urban Assault players who love this game so much. I dream your dream man. So cool
If we decide we want to monetise this down the line, what we'll probably do is just two versions, one with all the UA units and such, and one with our own unique content independent of Urban Assault. That way, the UA version can just be distributed to members of Metropolis Dawn & UA fans, and the other one can be distributed/sold publicly. Though, for now, we'll probably make this with the mindset that it'll be a UA2 for now before deciding in what direction we want to take it.

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:12 am

pete_kaboom wrote:If we decide we want to monetise this down the line, what we'll probably do is just two versions, one with all the UA units and such, and one with our own unique content independent of Urban Assault. That way, the UA version can just be distributed to members of Metropolis Dawn & UA fans, and the other one can be distributed/sold publicly. Though, for now, we'll probably make this with the mindset that it'll be a UA2 for now before deciding in what direction we want to take it.
This is what I truly wish it to be like...

Several factors that always questioning my mind in regard to UA2 projects are: What aspects of UA gives a feeling and sense of UA? Which ideas suggested for UA2 would be acceptable without impairing the concept of UA? Are those fan-sequels will successfully adapt to the modern gaming standard, whilst not sacrificing the originality of UA?

One question: Why call it 'Urban Assault'?
Should we accept most of eligible, plausible ideas and features that were collectively gathered from sincere fans, I still hold a stern opinion that eventually it would end up in something totally different and thus will not be 'Urban Assault' anymore. As pete_kaboom stated, it will be excellent to have two distinctively seperate version of UA2 in this regard.

I admit that the sentimental attachment is more likely prevalent in this affair. Because personally I really don't want to see a game that might be completely different and have nothing to do original UA (for this matter, have a look at former UA2 threads and you will see what I mean) is claiming itself to be UA2; just because it was developed by UA fans.

Avoiding the original title would be crucially exigent at this point as we possess no valid authority or legitimacy to create a genuine heir of UA. In a more practical and down-to-earth viewpoint, it will grant us an ensurance of maximum immunity from any sort of possible copyright issues.

I would be elated if we could get a definite answer from the Stefan Karau concerning what he thinks about the entire UA2 plans and projects, as I believe when it comes to a legitimacy and validity of UA, his verdict still retains the most power and influence among us.

Please excuse me if I went a smidgen off-topic and may possibly offended anyone with my words here.
;----------------------------------------------------------
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!

LloydJara
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by LloydJara » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:34 am

CharlotteLabyrinth wrote:
pete_kaboom wrote:If we decide we want to monetise this down the line, what we'll probably do is just two versions, one with all the UA units and such, and one with our own unique content independent of Urban Assault. That way, the UA version can just be distributed to members of Metropolis Dawn & UA fans, and the other one can be distributed/sold publicly. Though, for now, we'll probably make this with the mindset that it'll be a UA2 for now before deciding in what direction we want to take it.
This is what I truly wish it to be like...

Several factors that always questioning my mind in regard to UA2 projects are: What aspects of UA gives a feeling and sense of UA? Which ideas suggested for UA2 would be acceptable without impairing the concept of UA? Are those fan-sequels will successfully adapt to the modern gaming standard, whilst not sacrificing the originality of UA?

One question: Why call it 'Urban Assault'?
Should we accept most of eligible, plausible ideas and features that were collectively gathered from sincere fans, I still hold a stern opinion that eventually it would end up in something totally different and thus will not be 'Urban Assault' anymore. As pete_kaboom stated, it will be excellent to have two distinctively seperate version of UA2 in this regard.

I admit that the sentimental attachment is more likely prevalent in this affair. Because personally I really don't want to see a game that might be completely different and have nothing to do original UA (for this matter, have a look at former UA2 threads and you will see what I mean) is claiming itself to be UA2; just because it was developed by UA fans.

Avoiding the original title would be crucially exigent at this point as we possess no valid authority or legitimacy to create a genuine heir of UA. In a more practical and down-to-earth viewpoint, it will grant us an ensurance of maximum immunity from any sort of possible copyright issues.

I would be elated if we could get a definite answer from the Stefan Karau concerning what he thinks about the entire UA2 plans and projects, as I believe when it comes to a legitimacy and validity of UA, his verdict still retains the most power and influence among us.

Please excuse me if I went a smidgen off-topic and may possibly offended anyone with my words here.
I dunno who could get offendended with your words,Charlotte.

Have to agree too with the different Version Stuff,.Indeed i could give you several ideas for a entirely new game if you ask me. ;)

Maybe i have to agree a bit with the name thing,as if we remake UA it woudnt be UA at all, as it wont be identical to the 1998 Original UA as you previously said.

And about Stefan,yeah,his veredict is important but its really hard to contact him (But not impossible) and his opinion could help us a lot.I wont make conclusions what Stefan may think about a UA 2 proyect as we would have to talk with him,or make him to see this thread to know what he thinks but im
quite sure that Stefan would like the idea of a UA revival (In the form of UA 2) mostly because the poor sales of the Original UA and the Stuff that prevented it to be popular,also the fact that a new UA could make it a bit more popular and make a bigger community.
UA Frontier: The Return of The Resistance Mod - Currently on Hiatus
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Slow but Deadly.. We are the Taerkastens

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:40 pm

LloydJara wrote:I dunno who could get offendended with your words,Charlotte.
Well, generally most people have a very positive perspective towards UA2, and until this time, many of their suggestions, regardless of actual validity or suitability, were made in a very cordial and heartfelt manner. Therefore making such overly fastidious and incredulous statements like mine would likely evoke disapprovals from some people, and some people might even consider my opinions about UA2 as retrogressive. Also I tend to be quite squeamish, especially when speaking publicly.

On top of that, I think my post may have been fairly out of place. Seeing that Remork and pete_kaboom were having an ongoing constructive discussion about designing and planning the profound development of UA2 in Unity, I felt like I was inordinately disturbing their earnest conversations with my thoughts on UA2.
LloydJara wrote:Have to agree too with the different Version Stuff,.Indeed i could give you several ideas for a entirely new game if you ask me. ;)

Maybe i have to agree a bit with the name thing,as if we remake UA it woudnt be UA at all, as it wont be identical to the 1998 Original UA as you previously said.
I'm not that rigorously conservative. :P In fact, I have (really) many ideas on my own, and it is also undeniably vital to add new features and functions into the game to satisfy the modern gaming standard. As long as we can keep our imaginations in approporiate lines, I think it would be fine. But as I mentioned in my previous post, to preserve originality it is very important to critically differentiate unique and prominent features of UA, then from there a proper distinction should be maintained prior to implementations of completely new ideas and concepts. I don't really like to persistently insist on same thing over and over again, either. Seperated version of the game is needed for a safety insurance.

Better safe than sorry. Perhaps I'm just too sensitive in these matters. :|
LloydJara wrote:And about Stefan,yeah,his veredict is important but its really hard to contact him (But not impossible) and his opinion could help us a lot.I wont make conclusions what Stefan may think about a UA 2 proyect as we would have to talk with him,or make him to see this thread to know what he thinks but im
quite sure that Stefan would like the idea of a UA revival (In the form of UA 2) mostly because the poor sales of the Original UA and the Stuff that prevented it to be popular,also the fact that a new UA could make it a bit more popular and make a bigger community.
Apparently Stefan is not around here anymore, so it would be less likely to receive his actual answers at the moment. Moreover, I have come to think of that if Stefan had his own decisive opinions concerning UA2 then he might have already posted it long time ago... Anyway, to this time, I'm still very grateful that he visited Stoudson Corporation and had generously provided us with indispensable information and history about him and UA. :D
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!