Reboot of Urban Assault

Urban Assault is an old game and its rare blend of FPS and RTS deserves to be seen again. For those of you who want to start/coordinate projects to make an Urban Assault 2, this is a dedicated forum for you!
dragonfire967
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Re: Reboot of Urban Assault

Post by dragonfire967 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:50 pm

Well, first I will designing my company website (I have to start from scratch as my web developer left, and I'm scrapping his code as it was broken beyond repair), but there will be a subdomain for the website that is dedicated solely to this game. The same will apply to each game we develop.

By the way, does anyone happen to have / know the formula that is used for the game as far as how much energy you generate based on zones, powerplants, etc you own, which directly affects how fast your host station's energy, creation energy, and beam energy regen? I've been searching through google, a couple of "wikias", but no luck. And I have no idea where it would even have that info in the code for the original game if I were to try to convert the .exe to its base files (if that makes sense).
Image Chaotic Realm Studios, LLC
[i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/Dragonfire967/f9f19715-6fad-4df8-8cd4-aebfddd21b3d_zps335baf10.jpg[/img]

Fragger
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Fragger » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:06 am

Maybe I could be of assistance? I'm a programmer and have some knowledge on java,c,php,sql,xml, svn, etc. I used to play UA a ton as a small kid and would love to see it again on Steam or this reboot even!

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:04 pm

dragonfire967 wrote:By the way, does anyone happen to have / know the formula that is used for the game as far as how much energy you generate based on zones, powerplants, etc you own, which directly affects how fast your host station's energy, creation energy, and beam energy regen? I've been searching through google, a couple of "wikias", but no luck. And I have no idea where it would even have that info in the code for the original game if I were to try to convert the .exe to its base files (if that makes sense).
The accurate formula is not known but it shouldn't be too hard to find an approximate formula by experimenting.

Some people have found out that the AI receives energy in a different way. There is also some inconsistency in how the power rating of power stations is defined.

What we already know:
Absorption rate defines how much energy is received per every 20 (?) seconds.
The rate decreases when moving away from the power stations, and reaches zero at some point.
Having more power stations and stations with higher power ratings increase the maximum attainable absorption rate which is limited by the reload_const parameter.
A certain number of sectors (16 per one "white box unit" according to the help files) is required to have the maximum attainable rate. The sectors don't have to be adjacent to anything even though the help says so.
Damaging a power station reduces its power rating.

edit: Some threads about energy:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=375
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1450
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1448
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=989&p=13016#p13016
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.
UA community Discord channel: https://discord.gg/7H4dFQH
Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:29 pm

What we also know is that if your ratio of power station blocks to acquired sectors is to high, you actually will receive less power (ie destroying or damaging a power station will increase your output rate).

dragonfire967
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by dragonfire967 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:27 pm

Fragger wrote:Maybe I could be of assistance? I'm a programmer and have some knowledge on java,c,php,sql,xml, svn, etc. I used to play UA a ton as a small kid and would love to see it again on Steam or this reboot even!
Possibly, if you would, send me examples of your work via PM (I've received similar offers of help from people claiming to be programmers, just to find out they know nothing). Please note we are mainly using C# as the programming language, and the game engine we are using is Unity. You can actually download and use Unity for free, and any work you do would be 100% compatible with the Pro version I am using.
Ormu wrote:The accurate formula is not known but it shouldn't be too hard to find an approximate formula by experimenting.

Some people have found out that the AI receives energy in a different way. There is also some inconsistency in how the power rating of power stations is defined.

What we already know:
Absorption rate defines how much energy is received per every 20 (?) seconds.
The rate decreases when moving away from the power stations, and reaches zero at some point.
Having more power stations and stations with higher power ratings increase the maximum attainable absorption rate which is limited by the reload_const parameter.
A certain number of sectors (16 per one "white box unit" according to the help files) is required to have the maximum attainable rate. The sectors don't have to be adjacent to anything even though the help says so.
Damaging a power station reduces its power rating.

edit: Some threads about energy:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=375
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1450
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1448
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=989&p=13016#p13016
Thanks for the input, I am reviewing what you linked now.
GoldStar611 wrote:What we also know is that if your ratio of power station blocks to acquired sectors is to high, you actually will receive less power (ie destroying or damaging a power station will increase your output rate).
That's interesting. I'm not sure if that was intentional or a bug that they never caught, but it would give you an incentive to make sure you don't overextend yourself, or underextend.
[i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/Dragonfire967/f9f19715-6fad-4df8-8cd4-aebfddd21b3d_zps335baf10.jpg[/img]

pete_kaboom
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by pete_kaboom » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:31 pm

I'd love to help out, if I wern't so busy atm. I'm familiar with Unity3D & programming with C#, having taken a course in Game Design then general programming to extend my knowledge of Object-Oriented Programming & the .NET framework (currently working on several projects with Unity as well, mobile & PC). I'm a fresh grad though, but I'd be interested in participating, or at least contributing to the project if there are any positions available or if you require any help in certain areas of development, once my schedule is not as packed.

dragonfire967
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by dragonfire967 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:42 pm

pete_kaboom wrote:I'd love to help out, if I wern't so busy atm. I'm familiar with Unity3D & programming with C#, having taken a course in Game Design then general programming to extend my knowledge of Object-Oriented Programming & the .NET framework (currently working on several projects with Unity as well, mobile & PC). I'm a fresh grad though, but I'd be interested in participating, or at least contributing to the project if there are any positions available or if you require any help in certain areas of development, once my schedule is not as packed.
Glad to hear it. Like I said before, all work at the moment is volunteer (unpaid), but all contributors will receive a free copy of the game, and upon release, those that helped with coding, models, etc, will receive some percentage of profits up to a certain amount that will be determined at a later time.

The main thing I am looking for right now are C# programmers (for unity), and even more so, Model Designers to make the units, buildings, and terrain.

pete_kaboom
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by pete_kaboom » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:28 pm

dragonfire967 wrote:
pete_kaboom wrote:I'd love to help out, if I wern't so busy atm. I'm familiar with Unity3D & programming with C#, having taken a course in Game Design then general programming to extend my knowledge of Object-Oriented Programming & the .NET framework (currently working on several projects with Unity as well, mobile & PC). I'm a fresh grad though, but I'd be interested in participating, or at least contributing to the project if there are any positions available or if you require any help in certain areas of development, once my schedule is not as packed.
Glad to hear it. Like I said before, all work at the moment is volunteer (unpaid), but all contributors will receive a free copy of the game, and upon release, those that helped with coding, models, etc, will receive some percentage of profits up to a certain amount that will be determined at a later time.

The main thing I am looking for right now are C# programmers (for unity), and even more so, Model Designers to make the units, buildings, and terrain.
That's fine by me, once I've got time to help out. Although remuneration's nice, I'm more interested in seeing a reboot to UA, and what direction it'll take :D
Good luck with finding modelers & artists, I'll let you know if I come across any that might be interested in the project or for some work experience.
I'll send you a PM once my schedule's free (probably not until early December or Jan 2015).

Yakamaru
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Yakamaru » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:09 am

I take it you don't have an official name for the game yet, or do you have one already?

MSUA had a story I didn't really pay much attention to, but how about making it so that depending on what you do and how you do it, you end up with different results at the end of the map/game?

Like for instance, you have secondary/tertiary objectives along with making some game-changing choices, and the game will be changed thereafter. As far as turrets on movable objects go, the WASD keys for movement and the mouse for rotating/moving the turret should be efficient/good enough?

Also, concerning choices. Make several choices, where you can choose one or the other, and something inbetween everything?

Having two people in the same Host Station doesn't sound too bad. But wouldn't it be better if you had your separate Host Stations? And as allies you need more territory, as energy/energy gains aren't shared(except if you sit on the same power station, though energy gains might be halved, as you both are draining the power station?), as it implies you need to work together as a team and as allies in order to expand your territory and conquer the map. And if your ally is losing his/her fight with your opponent, your ally can retreat to your place, ending up in you both sharing the energy income, and then rebuild your forces to reclaim what was lost?

Don't get me wrong, having two people in one Host Station is a good idea.

From a personal perspective though I prefer to look after my own economy, as I've had a lot of people in co-op screw things up real bad if we've had a shared economy, which in turn made me have to find another person and start the mission/game all over.

What about rewards/points after beating a mission/map? Tech points maybe? Research/unlock new vehicles? Or use the tech sectors from the original MSUA? Would probably be better and less advanced if you only need to capture tech sectors in order to gain the tech it provided. How about adding some sort of timer for the tech to be acquired? Or a tech unit that you must use in order to acquire tech and to return it to your Host Station safely? And depending on the tech, the timer is lower or higher, and depending on type of tech? Building tech(defensive tech, offensive tech, energy tech)? Water tech? Air tech? Ground tech?

Difficulty should really only be for those with little to no strategic/tactical expertise/experience. Not saying it's bad though, as changing the difficulty severely alters how the game and the AI plays. How about having some sort of progressive difficulty, or an AI that gets harder and harder the more experienced you are? Or maybe that's just dumb?

I've got several other ideas/suggestions, but too lazy to type them now. :P
There exist 10 different types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Stupidity is at large!
You are just stupid.

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:22 pm

Yakamaru wrote: MSUA had a story I didn't really pay much attention to, but how about making it so that depending on what you do and how you do it, you end up with different results at the end of the map/game?

Like for instance, you have secondary/tertiary objectives along with making some game-changing choices, and the game will be changed thereafter.
This would be great. It's even included in the original storyline but nothign actually happens even if you complete those missions.

Code: Select all

BOTTOM LINE:  All human factions have martialed their remaining forces here for an imminent confrontation with the Mykonians. The High Council sees this as an opportunity to weaken all factions' powerbases prior to Parasite City. Seek out and destroy the cluster of enemy power stations toward the region's center. This way, you may have 34.7% fewer enemies to deal with on your final battle--Parasite City.
As far as turrets on movable objects go, the WASD keys for movement and the mouse for rotating/moving the turret should be efficient/good enough?
I have to say that I like the original keyboard-only controls very much. Mouse aiming/steering is fine in FPS games where the crosshair moves exactly as you move the mouse but when the movement speed is limited it gives a laggy feeling. Battlezone has mouse control by default and I don't like it that much. Of course this is a matter of preference. Original UA has mouse control as well.
Difficulty should really only be for those with little to no strategic/tactical expertise/experience. Not saying it's bad though, as changing the difficulty severely alters how the game and the AI plays. How about having some sort of progressive difficulty, or an AI that gets harder and harder the more experienced you are? Or maybe that's just dumb?
I once though that self-learning ability would be a nice addition. It might be challenging to implement, however.
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.
UA community Discord channel: https://discord.gg/7H4dFQH
Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...