Reboot of Urban Assault

Urban Assault is an old game and its rare blend of FPS and RTS deserves to be seen again. For those of you who want to start/coordinate projects to make an Urban Assault 2, this is a dedicated forum for you!
uatg
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Re: Reboot of Urban Assault

Post by uatg » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:38 am

dragonfire967 wrote:You send a squad of 15 foxes to go and scout out a sector 25 sectors away. The most direct route would take them up a wide avenue with little cover, and through a narrow ravine to get to the destination, with plenty of ambush points along the way. Instead, they would stay on either side of the avenue, using the buildings for cover, and when they reach the ravine, stop, and send 1-2 units through to see if they get attacked, the rest would follow. In addition, say this same squad encounters an enemy squad of say... 3 Leonids. Instead of instantly engaging head on and all attacking from the front (which is suicide for foxes), they would separate into 3 groups of 5, and hit them from the front and sides to cause the most damage.
That advanced path-finding algorithm would be nice but I'm 'worried' about the fact that you are removing tasks that the human player should have to execute. In a sense you are making it too easy for the human player (not the 'find the best path to the target' part but the 'ambush the enemy' part!). Adding this AI ability to the computer-controlled enemies is of course no problem as it increases the challenge for human players. That's my opinion! The more realistic armor would be nice.

I've been thinking about giving the tanks the ability to turn their turret separately from the direction they are driving (not to all tanks of course). It gives you the ability to move into one direction while you'r shooting in another one. I'm not sure how you would have to control it but with a controller it would be easy (one stick for the turret and the other for the tracks). The Jaguar could use such setup while the heavier Tiger remains the same for example. Just an idea!
You either taste, feel, and smell the intoxication of freedom and revolt, or sink into the miasma of despair and apathy. You are either a rebel or a slave. - Chris Hedges

dragonfire967
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by dragonfire967 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:22 pm

GoldStar611 wrote:I think it would be also nice to have the black sect (should they appear in the reboot) a better and more defined role / background info / technology advancements/stolen tech...
Have'nt looked fully into Black Sect yet, but there will be some changes, just not sure yet.
uatg wrote:That advanced path-finding algorithm would be nice but I'm 'worried' about the fact that you are removing tasks that the human player should have to execute. In a sense you are making it too easy for the human player (not the 'find the best path to the target' part but the 'ambush the enemy' part!). Adding this AI ability to the computer-controlled enemies is of course no problem as it increases the challenge for human players. That's my opinion! The more realistic armor would be nice.

I've been thinking about giving the tanks the ability to turn their turret separately from the direction they are driving (not to all tanks of course). It gives you the ability to move into one direction while you'r shooting in another one. I'm not sure how you would have to control it but with a controller it would be easy (one stick for the turret and the other for the tracks). The Jaguar could use such setup while the heavier Tiger remains the same for example. Just an idea!
The path finding will be mainly more towards the AI than players. It will only be available to players that select "Easy" difficulty setting. Any difficulty above this turns it off, and reverts back to original algorithms. Also, some tanks will have turrets. The jaguar will be hard to do this, because the way it is designed, there is no way to include a turret without completely redoing the jaguar (and therefore not giving it same shape). I may instead leave the original tanks as is, and create new units that use turrets, to maintain realism based on how a unit is built.

Another new unit that would be added is an artillery type unit. You move it to a location, set it up (makes it immobile until you decide to move it again), and then tell it where to let loose a load of up to 50 missiles at a time, every 2-5 minutes. It would be able to hit up to 25 sectors away, and would add an additional layer of strategy for those willing to use it. The only drawback, is cost. Due to their usefulness, a single unit would probably cost upwards of 1800 energy, as a single volley from them could easily level an entire sector, and kill everything located within. If you are the target of this volley, the missiles move slow enough, you can move out of the way before they impact, and can see them coming.
Image Chaotic Realm Studios, LLC
[i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/Dragonfire967/f9f19715-6fad-4df8-8cd4-aebfddd21b3d_zps335baf10.jpg[/img]

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:57 pm

dragonfire967 wrote:
uatg wrote:That advanced path-finding algorithm would be nice but I'm 'worried' about the fact that you are removing tasks that the human player should have to execute. In a sense you are making it too easy for the human player (not the 'find the best path to the target' part but the 'ambush the enemy' part!). Adding this AI ability to the computer-controlled enemies is of course no problem as it increases the challenge for human players. That's my opinion! The more realistic armor would be nice.
The path finding will be mainly more towards the AI than players. It will only be available to players that select "Easy" difficulty setting. Any difficulty above this turns it off, and reverts back to original algorithms. Also, some tanks will have turrets. The jaguar will be hard to do this, because the way it is designed, there is no way to include a turret without completely redoing the jaguar (and therefore not giving it same shape). I may instead leave the original tanks as is, and create new units that use turrets, to maintain realism based on how a unit is built.
I have to disagree with you here. AI pathfinding really needs improvements. It's sometimes very frustrating to see the units ramming each other without a clue where to go when trying to order them to defend your host station or something. Just don't make it too... automatic, i.e. leave the ordering and planning to the player. But please give them better ability to avoid obstacles and other units.

For some reason I also think that UA does not need adjustable difficulty levels but this is just my personal opinion. They are fine in some games but I think UA is better without them.
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.
UA community Discord channel: https://discord.gg/7H4dFQH
Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

dragonfire967
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by dragonfire967 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:11 pm

let me rephrase that then. the advanced will be mainly used for AI, but human players will fall back on a simpler pathfinding algorithm forcing the player to be more involved with moving their units around the map. This simpler one will still be a more robust version of the original pathfinding, preventing building and unit collisions from occurring. Also, difficulty levels do not impact the game in regards to how hard or easy it is to fight the AI. It is the same across all difficulty levels. All it impacts is what features are available to you, such as simplified unit movement controls, auto-aim features, etc. This setting would be more for players that have never played the game before, so as to ease them into the game. Then they can go back and change to the next setting which removes these features, forcing them to make decisions on how to do certain things, such as micromanaging movement of units across sectors.

I may also not do difficulty settings at all, but instead make these options available under "Options" for the game. It is still up in the air, and under discussion as we wait for word from Microsoft.
[i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/Dragonfire967/f9f19715-6fad-4df8-8cd4-aebfddd21b3d_zps335baf10.jpg[/img]

uatg
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by uatg » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:58 pm

As I only play games on my xbox 360 console (since Urban Assault, Age of Empires, Red Alert 2, etc... I don't play on PC anymore) I'm interested to know wether you consider a possible release of UA on a console? I know this adds a lot of work to your already well-filled project so I would completely understand that you limit it to the PC platform. I admit that a console is not ideal for an RTG but Halo Wars (an RTG on xbox 360) worked out very well.

Anyway, for a new Urban Assault title I would upgrade the 'household PC' within a heartbeat :-).
You either taste, feel, and smell the intoxication of freedom and revolt, or sink into the miasma of despair and apathy. You are either a rebel or a slave. - Chris Hedges

dragonfire967
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by dragonfire967 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:11 am

lol, well at the moment we are focusing on the Windows / Linux / Mac platforms, and if our games do well on those, then we will see about extending to consoles. The reason being is that for computer platforms, the only expense (outside of the obvious wages and running costs), is for the game engine fee of $99 per title + 25% royalties to the game engine developer after the first $50K in revenue. For consoles and mobile app development... you have to tack on more fees for the developer licenses required to release on these platforms, and since we would be doing online only for downloads (no physical box), then tack on the cost of hosting the game for download through the various services for each platform (app store for android and IOS, for example).

For these reasons, it is obviously reasonable to see how it does on the cheaper release platforms, then once a certain goal in revenue is reached / exceeded, we can extend that title to other platforms :)

So to answer your question, starting off it would be computer-based platforms only. Then when a certain goal in revenue is reached / exceeded, we would probably find a way to extend it to consoles, including the X-Box One and PS4 (seeing as how the 360 and PS3 will be considered obsolete by the time we would even release it).

DaMoS
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by DaMoS » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:37 am

uatg wrote:As I only play games on my xbox 360 console (since Urban Assault, Age of Empires, Red Alert 2, etc... I don't play on PC anymore) I'm interested to know wether you consider a possible release of UA on a console? I know this adds a lot of work to your already well-filled project so I would completely understand that you limit it to the PC platform. I admit that a console is not ideal for an RTG but Halo Wars (an RTG on xbox 360) worked out very well.

Anyway, for a new Urban Assault title I would upgrade the 'household PC' within a heartbeat :-).
since im not able to send private messages i must post it here, uatg im playing halo wars on xbox360 too if u want to add me there my GT is ' General Damos'

regards

Urban Assault is such a great game, i don't understand why it had no success in it's time.
Even now, 15 years after the official release i still enjoy playing it much more than the newer games nowadays.
Its definitely one of the best games ever created.

- DaMoS

Keitan14
Firefly
Firefly

Post by Keitan14 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:47 pm

Any news on a reboot of UA? Anything at all? If there's a team working on it, like OP has said, I will gladly contribute funds if they need it!

DaMoS
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by DaMoS » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:28 am

i wonder about that too...

Urban Assault is such a great game, i don't understand why it had no success in it's time.
Even now, 15 years after the official release i still enjoy playing it much more than the newer games nowadays.
Its definitely one of the best games ever created.

- DaMoS

uatg
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by uatg » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:52 am

I wonder about that three...