Reboot of Urban Assault

Urban Assault is an old game and its rare blend of FPS and RTS deserves to be seen again. For those of you who want to start/coordinate projects to make an Urban Assault 2, this is a dedicated forum for you!
Brachy UA FREAK
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Re: Reboot of Urban Assault

Post by Brachy UA FREAK » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:53 am

Same question as above 2 posters.

dragonfire what is the current project status?
GET YOUR HANDS OFF FROM THAT PARASITE!
Or
I LL QUADDA YOU

://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/MykoniansUB1.png
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/X01-Quadda.gif

Myko Mod [MID] back alive after long hiatus!

Urbana
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Urbana » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:53 am

dragonfire967 wrote:
uatg wrote:The improvements you post sound good, here are a few I thought about:

It would be nice to have the option of playing the single player campaign cooperatively. The same campaign but with some allies (each having an host station). This option will then conflict with the story but that is no problem (like in the Halo video games). I think it would be a nice addition without much extra work (I don't know anything about programming so can be wrong!). You probably must rebalance and make minor adjustments so that it becomes not too easy of course...

The option of playing 'skirmish games' on auto-created maps would be cool too. I remember in Red Alert 2 that you could generate custom maps by changing some parameters. You could choose the quantity of mountains, water, etc... and click on 'generate map'. I also remember generating maps until I got some cool locations and maps and the replayability was huge because you always have new maps to your disposal. You could generate maps with parameters such as size (X and Y sectors), quantity of ridge lines, quantity of mountains, quantity of urban sectors (buildings, etc...), quantity of key sectors, quantity of existing power stations,quantity of research stations, stoudson bombs ...

In fact adding water to the environment would be a nice addition too. It creates another barrier for ground units or could even become the home for new water units. The water is probably highly polluted and may perhaps harm units? No, plasma created units are probably immune to that but water sectors would definitely add some new potential!

I guess making better damage models for the buildings in the environment is part of the basic overhaul. Damage models could even be extended onto units and created buildings? Like misfires, slower speed, slower gun elevation (for tanks) or even accidental explosions resulting from destabilized units that are heavily damaged? Or even screen malfunctions (short black outs, ...) because of the damaged neural interface between the SDU/unit.

Anyway I'll see what I come up with during my next brainstorm session :D !
Not bad, I like most of them, however, just some notes (doesn't mean I won't / can't do them):

1. Creating a map random generator requires a TON of additional coding versus just making pre-made maps, so I would have to see what all will be involved due to the high number of factors regarding this.

2. Water would be a nice addition, and I can think of a few units and ideas to add to this, such as an option to create off-shore ships that can fire long-range cannons for field support, much like battleships did back in World War II. Due to the size and number of various guns, these may not be player controlled, but I'll see.

As far as random map generation goes, I'd probably make it easy, to where you select how many cells to go across on the X axis, and how many on the Y axis, then multiply them together for the size of map (so if you choose 8 cells on X, and 8 cells on Y, the map would be an 8 x 8 map, or 64 cell map. The biggest I could probably allow for would be around 150 x 150, or 22,500 cells, which is massive. Those maps would probably be reserved for games with more than 6 players, maybe multiple host stations of same faction working as a team against others (3 resistance, 3 ghorkov, etc).

For single player, there will be a co-op mode, but you would not have multiple host stations, as that would, as you put it, conflict with the story. Instead, I would probably have it double the energy each faction's host station can carry (so if on single player you have 800 max energy, on co-op you would have 1600), and both players control same host station. This means player 1 could be creating units, control the host station movement around the map, and man the turrets if attacked, while player 2 sends units out, controls units directly, and controls any defensive buildings placed by host station, for example. They would have to figure out who does what, or they can both do whatever needs to be done to win :)

Finally... damage... you know how now, if you start shooting at a building, after a few shots, there's an explosion, then the building changes from a fully built one, to one with the top missing, and then goes from there until it is destroyed? We will be utilizing the full power of the Unreal Engine 3, or UDK, to make it where depending on where you shoot the building, will depend where the damage occurs. In addition, there will no longer be any sloppy graphic changes for stages of destruction. Instead, your rocket or cannon shot hits building, and you see that section literally explode in rubble, smoke, and fire, with the rubble raining down, and damaging / destroying any unit / structure it touches. This would add a new level of strategy to the game, where if you know the enemy is hiding on the other side of a building, you can try shooting the building to have the rubble damage or destroy your enemy. In addition, if you take out the support pillars at the bottom of a building, the entire structure will collapse or fall over, depending on where you shoot it.

In other news, I'm on the phone with Microsoft Legal right now, wish me luck.
one thing you could consider with the co op mode is this, in diablo 2 and 3 if more players join the game the monsters get a percentage of extra armor, damage and hp. You could get the game to adjust the stats of the enemy units depending on how many players have joined the game and make the AI more difficult as well. Also what you could also do is make a single player story arc and a co op story arc that requires more that one player to go through to the next mission that way no conflicts to consider, true that will require more work and coding but the results will be brilliant considering the U3 engine will be involved i hope.

the water idea will also be a good idea, new water based boats or platforms will be an idea, how about adding a radiation cloud in areas to damage units when they go through it and maybe even EMP blast to knock out vehicles sub systems temporarily. you could even design a mine layer tank for each faction to lay mines to trap areas. maybe new platforms like missile and Gatling cannon stations. I really love the idea of environmental damage in regards to buildings and splash damage, really gives the game a more life like situation. if you see a building coming down either try to avoid shrapnel and rubble you can fire on it to decease the rubble coming down and possibly damage the ones who shot it down. maybe you can make planes, jets and helicopter crashes also damage nearby units as well.

well if you need more ideas let me know
I have been away too long. The challenge has waned. They must learn anew the meaning of ph34r
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/TheResistanceUB2-1.png[/img]
://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t318/Al-Khabir/UrbanAssaultSig.gif[/img]

uatg
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by uatg » Mon May 05, 2014 6:19 pm

To break the silence...

Dragonfire967, how is your game studio doing and how is your progress concerning the talks with Microsoft?
You either taste, feel, and smell the intoxication of freedom and revolt, or sink into the miasma of despair and apathy. You are either a rebel or a slave. - Chris Hedges

dragonfire967
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by dragonfire967 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:59 pm

Hey, sorry for the delay in my response and activity on the forums.

As of today, we have acquired a 3D Model designer, and are going over some ideas at the moment. I had to put all talks with MS on hold due to the fact that we just did not have the proper staff to tackle this project properly. We are still building our team, but I will be attempting to contact MS again here within the next few months to finalize our goal to make a reboot of MSUA or a game that has similiar mechanics / gameplay so as to avoid copyright infringement if they will not give us the rights to the game.

I will update this as soon as I have more information, but I can not give an ETA at this time. Please note that we have decided on what game engine we are going to officially be using, and that is the Unity engine due to what features it offers us.
Image Chaotic Realm Studios, LLC
[i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/Dragonfire967/f9f19715-6fad-4df8-8cd4-aebfddd21b3d_zps335baf10.jpg[/img]

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:57 am

Thanks for the update dragonfire, it's greatly appreciated.

Hope all goes well while searching for candidates. Good luck and we hope to be playing this new game soon.

Not liking the lack of Linux support however, but I think we understand decisions have to be made at the top for the best of the company.

dragonfire967
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by dragonfire967 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:39 pm

Actually with the engine we will be using, it will be 100% compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux, so no worries there. I am currently going over the project plans with my senior staff at the moment.

EDIT:

Also, I did want people's thoughts on one idea I'm having for improving the models for some of the vehicles. For example, with the Fox, changing it to where when it enters combat a hatch opens on the top and the missile launcher pops up and rotates to track a target.
[i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/Dragonfire967/f9f19715-6fad-4df8-8cd4-aebfddd21b3d_zps335baf10.jpg[/img]

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:41 am

I would say that improved vehicle actions, behaviors, situational awareness is awesome!

I like the idea of vehicles "doing something" when at this location, or enemy sector, or enemy comes into radar contact. That definitely is a requirement for a game in this age. (That is--if you are looking for the wow factor)

dragonfire967
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by dragonfire967 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:36 pm

Thats why we are looking into doing that. One other feature of the engine we are using is the physics engine. We can take a skyscraper for example, you shoot it with your rhino, wasp, whatever floats your boat, and after a certain amount of structural damage has occurred, the building will start to crumble and collapse, with shards of the building (such as bricks, steel beams, etc) hitting the ground and causing damage to any vehicles and/or structures caught in the destruction.

We might also see about adding new defensive and offensive platforms for your "base" that your host station resides in to give you more power in defending your station while destroying the enemy.

MaxXxiking
Firefly
Firefly

Post by MaxXxiking » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:08 am

sounds neat! :D
I DONT CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAREEEEEEEEE

uatg
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by uatg » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:05 am

Indeed thank you for the update!

First of all, I hope you do find the people you are looking. No team, no game and the more they blend in the better the game.

The idea of vehicles interacting with the environment/player input would be a nice touch, it surely adds to the quality and feel of the experience. That destroyed building can damage surrounding units is really nice. Now riding through buildings for protection has no downside but then it would make it risky, adds strategy/tactics and I like that.
You either taste, feel, and smell the intoxication of freedom and revolt, or sink into the miasma of despair and apathy. You are either a rebel or a slave. - Chris Hedges