Urban Assault Mobile

Urban Assault is an old game and its rare blend of FPS and RTS deserves to be seen again. For those of you who want to start/coordinate projects to make an Urban Assault 2, this is a dedicated forum for you!

UA mobile

There should be complete 3d remake of original UA on mobile
60%
There should be good playable 2d version of UA-like game
10%
There should be mobile version, but you, Darth_Cthulhu, shouldn't even think of messing with UA's good name, leave it to professionals
No votes
There should not be mobile version at all
30%

Total votes: 10

Darth_Cthulhu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Urban Assault Mobile

Post by Darth_Cthulhu » Wed May 16, 2012 3:14 pm

I've just got an idea to make UA-like game on mobile platform. Since I'm an iOS developer it would be iPhone/iPad/iPod touch for now.
As you may or may not know, mobile gameplay should be simpler than that on desktop or console.
So I think the game could be 2D strategy arcade with narrow maps. You can create units and control them, shoot missiles and do pretty much the same stuff as you could while you played UA.
I could make demo for Windows of this arcade in few months if I find enough support. If it will be released, it would be available for Windows, iOS and maybe Android.

Your thoughts, suggestions and ideas would be greatly appreciated. Your objections, rejections would be also. :)
C++ developer. Failed to learn OGRE and worked in gamedev. Alcoholic and chain-smoker.

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Re: Urban Assault Mobile

Post by GoldStar611 » Wed May 16, 2012 11:55 pm

I think a command & conqure (2D/3D) style game would be interesting with option to jump in a unit at any time

MarcOlle
Bugged Ostwind?
Bugged Ostwind?

Post by MarcOlle » Thu May 17, 2012 9:00 pm

Darth_Cthulhu wrote:I've just got an idea to make UA-like game on mobile platform. Since I'm an iOS developer it would be iPhone/iPad/iPod touch for now.
As you may or may not know, mobile gameplay should be simpler than that on desktop or console.
So I think the game could be 2D strategy arcade with narrow maps. You can create units and control them, shoot missiles and do pretty much the same stuff as you could while you played UA.
I could make demo for Windows of this arcade in few months if I find enough support. If it will be released, it would be available for Windows, iOS and maybe Android.

Your thoughts, suggestions and ideas would be greatly appreciated. Your objections, rejections would be also. :)
I had this idea since I had my first iPhone... And I think that it will look great with the iPad for example... When I has time, I'll post some concepts that I'll create here and you see if it fits your idea of creating the game

I think that it has to be in 3D, the graphics can look likes windows 98 and it will has great graphics for iPhone... I didn't think on start that because my only programming knowledge is C

My original idea was that could be compatible with the original maps and you could create some for the game... Download and play on your device... But I think that is barely impossible, because you has to use a new engine.... But when I has more ideas I'll post here :awsm:
Trying to do a comeback...
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/SulgogarsUB2.png[/img]
________________________________________________________________________________________
Fra6160 at 29/Apr/2009 wrote:In 2011 we'll discover the plasma creation :D
And still we have not discovered the plasma creation...

Darth_Cthulhu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Darth_Cthulhu » Fri May 18, 2012 8:37 am

I don't want to make 3D game not because I'm lazy or something. I've been developing for iOS for a while and have read many usability guidelines. Also, being iPhone user myself, i've had some 3d games installed and played.
From all that I can say that 3D game is hard to play on mobile device without hardware joystick, using only sensor screen. You will have terrible user experience.
2D game though can maintain the same arcade strategy principle we love in UA. I'm speaking of top-down view, not side view of course.
Nevertheless, even 2D game is hard to make in the way it could have the same awesome gameplay.
I'd like to wait for your concepts and other people's thoughts.
C++ developer. Failed to learn OGRE and worked in gamedev. Alcoholic and chain-smoker.