Start Small

Urban Assault is an old game and its rare blend of FPS and RTS deserves to be seen again. For those of you who want to start/coordinate projects to make an Urban Assault 2, this is a dedicated forum for you!
Edward Fox
Slime Lord
Slime Lord

Start Small

Post by Edward Fox » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:30 pm

There seems to always be some vague talk about creating an "Urban Assault 2" yet nothing ever materializes. I am not trying to criticize anyone as I almost certainly do not have the skills to work on such a project but I will suggest one tip.

Start small.

By small I mean create a "game" maybe five levels long and make them no larger, more complicated or more difficult than the first five levels of the original game. This will make it easier to find problems and acquire feedback.

Again I do not want to criticize anybody but I would love to see a well-polished well balanced game at the cost of it being fifteen minutes long.

Just a thought.
]http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd33 ... nceUB1.png[/img]

]http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd33 ... ensUB2.png[/img]

I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior. If you have too and you aren't afraid to say it, copy and paste this into your signature.

Brachy UA FREAK
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Re: Start Small

Post by Brachy UA FREAK » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:28 pm

good thought same opinion as eddi
GET YOUR HANDS OFF FROM THAT PARASITE!
Or
I LL QUADDA YOU

://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/MykoniansUB1.png
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/X01-Quadda.gif

Myko Mod [MID] back alive after long hiatus!

Thomas Fredson
Emperor of the Mykonians (Veteran)

Post by Thomas Fredson » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:18 pm

I share your thought. But still, the aim is to create a game, so the length isn't quite a problem in it self. For me the real problem is to take in consideration the development time...
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/MykoniansUB1.png[/img]
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/MykoniansUB2.png[/img]
://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t318/Al-Khabir/UrbanAssaultSig4.gif[/img]

Also administrator of UAFr Board

The Big Mistake album in progress! (ABORTED)

Sandremo
Zeppelin
Zeppelin

Post by Sandremo » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:07 pm

Considering that it takes YEARS for "professional" developers to create games.. i too think that people working on this project should start small... but then again.. most of the time the developers create totally new engines for the game and have probably nothing to base their game out of.. on this part were lucky.. i think we dont need to create a new engine for UA2 (Probably?) and we dont need to create that much background either. :P since the events of UA are probably background itself? IDK. :3

but still.. personally i'd spend more time fine tuning the game and have less maps and levels to play on than rush through the development and get a half finished product with more levels.

Thomas Fredson

Post by Thomas Fredson » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:27 pm

The important thing in this project is to work like a studio, with people devoted to one kind of task, in that way the game could be released faster and could have far more content than if it was developed alone.
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/MykoniansUB1.png[/img]
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/MykoniansUB2.png[/img]
://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t318/Al-Khabir/UrbanAssaultSig4.gif[/img]

Also administrator of UAFr Board

The Big Mistake album in progress! (ABORTED)

CuSToM_94
Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Post by CuSToM_94 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:05 pm

Thomas Fredson wrote:The important thing in this project is to work like a studio, with people devoted to one kind of task, in that way the game could be released faster and could have far more content than if it was developed alone.
+1

Darth_Cthulhu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Darth_Cthulhu » Tue May 15, 2012 11:00 am

By the time when I promised UA2 I was way too ambitious and pretty much idealistic.
I am now "starting small". Working as developer I am now familiar with process and am making small game (Master of Orion remake).
Nevertheless I will help with destronom's project.
C++ developer. Failed to learn OGRE and worked in gamedev. Alcoholic and chain-smoker.