Another try to create a UA2

Urban Assault is an old game and its rare blend of FPS and RTS deserves to be seen again. For those of you who want to start/coordinate projects to make an Urban Assault 2, this is a dedicated forum for you!
MarcOlle
Bugged Ostwind?
Bugged Ostwind?

Another try to create a UA2

Post by MarcOlle » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:09 pm

Yeah yeah... This is another try to make people develop a UA 2... We have a project with Darth_Cthulhu, but I don't know if he will continue this...

So, I'm here to suggest a way to the community create a new game. If we put it as open-source, won't be hard to continue the project after a time..

The first step for this is choose a engine...
I found two engine that has more chance to be used:
- Torque 3D ($99)
- Spirit (Free)

But there is also:
- UDK (Free)
- Unity (Free // Pro version $1500.00 :O)
- CryEngine (???)
A complete list here

The second step...
Choose the storyline, models, storyboards, arts... Something like that to we have ideas to improve the original UA

Third step, create the game >D
So we just need some volunteers to create things like that, search for modelers and stuff like that..
We can make a game, just will take sometime, but one day it can be complete, we launch it as a Indie game and everyone will be happy :)
Trying to do a comeback...
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/SulgogarsUB2.png[/img]
________________________________________________________________________________________
Fra6160 at 29/Apr/2009 wrote:In 2011 we'll discover the plasma creation :D
And still we have not discovered the plasma creation...

Thomas Fredson
Emperor of the Mykonians (Veteran)
Emperor of the Mykonians (Veteran)

Re: Another try to create a UA2

Post by Thomas Fredson » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:03 pm

Spring Engine seems cool! It seems that it's not that heavy compared to cryengine, which is not a bad thing, because it has to run on low configuration machines.
Any ways, We have to search for person who are both interested in this project, and have the skills to fulfill this... And to me, this is the hardest task we'll be facing!
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/MykoniansUB1.png[/img]
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/MykoniansUB2.png[/img]
://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t318/Al-Khabir/UrbanAssaultSig4.gif[/img]

Also administrator of UAFr Board

The Big Mistake album in progress! (ABORTED)

MarcOlle
Bugged Ostwind?
Bugged Ostwind?

Post by MarcOlle » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:19 pm

I prefer Spring too, principally because it has a community of "no-life" people like us...
It has great tutorials and work with the two ideas of UA, RTS and FPS...

The game we can do will be simple in that aspect, because in reality, UA is a FPS with a "RTS engine"...
________________________________________________________________________________________

Edward Fox
Slime Lord
Slime Lord

Post by Edward Fox » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:51 am

Finding a decent programmer (or set of programmers, though it would be good to have a single leader) does seem like it would be the hardest issue.

I am all for starting up another UA2 project, though there is not very much that I could contribute on the technical side.

I would like very much to work on the storyline and background information though as I find that to be the most compelling component of Urban Assault.

One other question which we would have to answer is whether this is a remake or a sequel. I, personally, would like to see a remake, keeping the levels and storyline much the same. If the game ever becomes fully realized one could always make modifications later and if any new players are drawn to the project they can compare our work to the original.

P.S. I do hope this goes somewhere.
]http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd33 ... nceUB1.png[/img]

]http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd33 ... ensUB2.png[/img]

I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior. If you have too and you aren't afraid to say it, copy and paste this into your signature.

MarcOlle
Bugged Ostwind?
Bugged Ostwind?

Post by MarcOlle » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:21 pm

I want more a remake, but with a storyline more... New, because some facts looks like to futuristic apocalypse that already happens to us...

If we go to make a remake, we have to start with a storyline more actualized and to construct levels with the "same format"... We can use the MBpixs for that..

People with time is the most important to make it work...

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:40 pm

The gameplay and interface of UA are something very unique and thus very challenging to replicate as a hobby project. I talked with a friend of mine, who is a programmer, about UDK and he thought it might be possible to use it but it would need some hardcore messing with UnrealScript to implement the map and squad management system to it as it's a pure FPS engine solely desingned for FPS games.

Anarchid suggested Spring some years ago and he also made an early proof of concept demo of it. I don't have a link right now but you will find it via Google, it was probably on the Spring forums. However, the first screenshots that I saw looked like C&C or Starcraft, not like UA yet. Does Spring provide a proper first-person view at all?

I think that the storyline and content is not that important yet. If someone makes a successful platform the rest isn't hard. There are many people with enough skills to make the content but not that many coders.
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.
UA community Discord channel: https://discord.gg/7H4dFQH
Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

MarcOlle
Bugged Ostwind?
Bugged Ostwind?

Post by MarcOlle » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:07 am

I was reading about it and find that it can make FPS, but the engine suggest a RTS game...

So, how I believe that originally UA is FPS with a RTS engine, isn't too hard to make the game from Spring, don't?

FlaminHardware
Firefly
Firefly

Post by FlaminHardware » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:13 pm

Now, programming is not my strong suit at all.

However, I may be useful in the concept and ship art.

When we actually get that far what would you guys like me to use? (concepts based on UA, as in DIRECTLY based off it. Or a similar style with different tanks, etc.)

Anyway I'm game for this!

pete_kaboom
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by pete_kaboom » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:38 am

Back from the ether guys =)

I can probably ACTUALLY help now that I'm learning Unity in college.
I'm very messy with interface and coding/scripting, since I've just started, but I can probably get something done.
Not right now, though. I'll try and begin in about 2 weeks, if you want (when college stops butchering me with group assignments >.> Lazy bums)

This is what I've done so far in 3 months of learning Unity.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11BnjDyXhjo
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?83czxjjtyrh6lba
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?be0wl8vl747u3f9

Only problem with me building is:
1. I can only work with the Unity Engine for now, so I doubt I can help with anything but Unity until I start learning proper programming >.>
2. I'm still just a beginner with the coding, soz I may not be able to do much. But I'll do my best...
3. College is eating my time up, as well as family, so I'll probably have lots of abrupt stops during the last 2 weeks before assignments are due in. At least until November.
4. Don't expect me to do anything super-high graphic stuff. That's gonna stress me out :S My code's going to lower framerate enough as-is.
5. I'm a beginner at game design, although I have tampered with Game Maker for several years, and learnt the fundamentals of programming with Python in years 11 and 12 in High School.

Game Maker Games:
http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/143905
http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/171107

I can probably model quite a number of things in Maya, though my licence is Educational, and I'm against pirating, so its either get another 3D designer, learn Blender for me or someone provide $3500 USD of funding for me to acquire Maya ^_^

MarcOlle
Bugged Ostwind?
Bugged Ostwind?

Post by MarcOlle » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:34 pm

Well, for now I believe we can't expect too much, because I'm stuck with a bad computer and I can't start a project that will occupy at least 500 MB of my HD...

So, until I get my new machine with a new graphic card, won't be me the starter of this project...