Which Age of Empires game is better?

Urban Assault's not the only game you play, is it?! Talk about other games here!
Reverie
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Which Age of Empires game is better?

Post by Reverie » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:00 am

I have ALL the series of AOE. From AOE 1 to 3, with all expansions.I have AOE 1 & 2 both in HD edition. And I am really confused to play which game first. I am more biases to 3rd version because it is latest, and have better graphics. Whats your opinion friends? Which version is best for you?

And second question, which game is better - Company of Heroes or Men of War?

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Re: Which Age of Empires game is better?

Post by Ormu » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:40 pm

I've only tried AoE 3 demo once and I wasn't very impressed. But it was about ten years ago and I don't remember much about it.

AoE 1 and 2 are great games. I have most experience on the AoE 1 demos and AoE 2 full version. I actually got the first AoE 1 demo on the same local ISP promotional CD as UA demo. :D
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.
UA community Discord channel: https://discord.gg/7H4dFQH
Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

Zidane
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Zidane » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:21 pm

For me, AoE 1 is greatest and my first strategy on PC
合体! ライオカイザー

Paholainen
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Paholainen » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:27 pm

While I sometimes like to play the AoE 2, I much prefer the first AoE because it's the most nostalgic one to me and i'm half-decent on it. Funnily enough, I got my first taste of AoE in a demo disc, which also had a demo of Urban Assault.

Also, I recommend to install a UPatch to the first AoE, because it fixes some major bugs, like the save game getting corrupted because of a flying arrow, and it balances some of the civilizations (Hittites are overpowered with their long range ships in the vanilla).

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:45 am

I would play AoE 1 all day just for the music. Ensemble Studios did an awesome job with that soundtrack and the gameplay. I was quite annoyed at how good some people were when playing on the Zone.

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:13 am

If you happen to play AoE 1, I strongly advocate to install UPatch (Unofficial Patch) as suggested above. The original AoE 1 and RoR are full of bugs, widely ranging from general stability issues to amplified multiplier glitches (For example, a research is designed to increase the speed of a unit by 30%, but due to whatever bugs present in the game's algorithm, it actually makes the unit 64-65% faster in-game. The same bug also applies to numerous other percentual values present in the game.) that cause enormously detrimental effects to the normal gameplay. The UPatch fixes most of the undesirable/unintentional bugs and glitches from the game, and it also provides some new functions and options that were not supported in the original game as well.

Because the original developers had hastily moved onto their next project (AoE 2; which I personally consider to be best in the series, that is, when not counting the grossly underrated yet even better AoM...) without releasing any comprehensive official patch to rectify the problems, most of these gamebreaking bugs were remained in the game until some very talented, right-minded people were able to come up with the UPatch.

On top of that, the patch also remarkably ameliorate huge and plenty imbalance factors in the vanilla game - such as the potential harass of 9 range Hittite Scout Ship rush from 3 docks under 12-13 min as briefly mentioned by Paholainen, which is one of the major linchpin of some serious Tool-Bronze imbalance in 1v1 or FFA match on a water map like large Medit/Continental - while perfectly and wonderfully maintains the original gameplay structures and balance models.

The original discussion thread can be found at here. It is noteworthy to mention that how many suggestions and only the 'truly necessary' balance changes were accomplished under extremely fastidious and meticulous analyses of logical reasoning behind the game mechanics.
;----------------------------------------------------------
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!

FoTacTix
Ying
Ying

Post by FoTacTix » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:09 am

Reverie wrote: And second question, which game is better - Company of Heroes or Men of War?

AOE 1 + ROR & Urban were my childhood so I may have a bias. I remember using dial up to connect to the MSN Gaming Zone and playing people online. I was never super competitive or very good, but just loved those games. I need to try UPatch...I tried it, but ROR kept crashing with Nvidia driver failures.

I didn't like AOE 2 at all, just felt completely different. I still need to play through Age of Mythology.

I never played Men of War. I did play the crap out of Company of Heroes and it was easily one of the best RTS games I've ever played. So much fun and hilarious good times with friends. Nothing beats a creeping barrage on a bunch of bots. I installed the Eastern Fronts mod and loved the Russians as well. Sadly CoH2 was a huge disappointment and felt nothing like the first and none of my friends enjoyed it. (it seems like fans of the first felt the same way)

Zidane
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Zidane » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:01 pm

As I think Rise of Nations is a good siquel for AoE, and I liked to play it too.
合体! ライオカイザー

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:05 pm

Zidane wrote:As I think Rise of Nations is a good siquel for AoE, and I liked to play it too.
Rise of Nations (with its expansion pack Thrones & Patriots) is one of the top-notch RTS games ever made, in my opinion. :)
I can even write a long essay about how good and ingenious the game is.
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!

Paholainen
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Paholainen » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:09 pm

FoTacTix wrote: I need to try UPatch...I tried it, but ROR kept crashing with Nvidia driver failures.
This is actually what i've also encountered while playing with UPatch. DgVoodoo 2 fixes the problem, but it also introduces another one, namely the text boxes, where you type stuff, are transparent. This is pretty annoying when saving your game into a new file, you can't see what you're typing as the save game's name.

Reverie wrote: And second question, which game is better - Company of Heroes or Men of War?
I have played both a bit. I can only say, that if you like semi-realistic gameplay, go for the Company of Heroes. If you instead prefer very realistic gameplay, where soldiers can run out of ammo and tanks run out of fuel, then try out the Men of War. Both games have an offline skirmish mode (Men of War Assault Squad 2 has one, and Company of Heroes has had the skirmish mode from the start), although the skirmish AI in Men of War Assault Squad 2 is pretty simple, but it's still quite fun.