Forbidden Readings

Urban Assault has a very interesting plotline, but it is usually hidden from the players. Discuss the rich story of UA here, or write your own fan fiction and display it here!
O Y ME
Emperor of the Mykonians (Veteran)
Emperor of the Mykonians (Veteran)

Forbidden Readings

Post by O Y ME » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:16 pm

This here is a hidden plot that can be found in the game's help files. This is about what happened right before SDU7 became SDU7 (in the real game). You can find this by clicking the symbol at the top of the website here in the help files of the game. The real name of SDU7 is known as Leather Jacket and these are some things written down by him and others before he was uploaded into the resistance host station. Supposedly we are supposed to be the teenagers of the resistance dome reading this because one of the messages says that this is all typed in by Leather Jacket in an "old microsoft game". The reason this paragraph and the other two below are just to keep you from getting confused from whats canon and whats me telling you whats going on.

"There were so few humans left in the years following The Big Mistake. Humans were too precious to send into battle when the Offworlders came. And so we created the war machines, the savior machines, the Host Station machines.

"But to save us they needed a single human integrated into their empathic net. For it was the human’s wetware that provided the passions of love for the planet, and enough fear to temper decisions."

—&nbspFrom Beam Gate Diary

"Back when I was eight years old I used to dream about turning 16. I’d be able to rent hoverboards, and I’d be able to beam-gate by myself and visit friends in other domes. At age eight living in a dome seemed natural. But the great curse of our parents and teachers was the endless stories of how great it used to be before the domes, when you could breathe the air, eat food grown in the ground, and actually fish something live from out of the seas. So they told us of a paradise we could never know, while we lived with the endless stream of news about how things outside were just getting worse, and with the rumors that if the energy plants ever went down, we would all meet the same gasping death. Kind of made a farce of that standard childhood question: ‘And what do you want to be when you grow up?’ "

—&nbspFrom Leather Jacket

"There weren’t many who actually saw it coming. Of course, after the fact, everyone claims to have been sounding the alarms. But I no longer criticize the dead, which these days doesn’t leave many to point fingers at."

—&nbspFrom My Dome Town Notebook

"Darkness ... the void calling my name. ... And the evil, always pursued by the evil. ... These were my dreams ... back when I could dream.

"The machines, were desirous of me—valuing my fear as much as my mind. And because these were the good machines, our machines, the Host Station machines, I could not refuse their seduction."

—&nbspFrom Host Station Rhapsody: My Ascent into Madness

Hush little baby, don’t you cry,
Ghorkovs are hiding just outside.

Keep your room clean every day,
Or Sulgogars gonna take you away.

Do your homework without a fuss,
Or Mykonians gonna squeeze you into pus.

—&nbspFrom Hangin’ with My Domies: A Study of Adolescent Behavior Within Domed Communities

"Been filling some of my wasted hours online, reading about the way things used to be. Funny to read all the hand-wringing news about how divorce used to pull families apart. Talk about the good old days! Hardly any of my friends have parents anymore, and I’m just 16. Divorce—give me a break! By the time the first domes were finished most of our parents had been exposed to so many of the viral waves, and had breathed air so polluted and eaten food so mutated, that most were dead within five years—even if they were lucky enough to make it into a dome. Supposedly we are the Clean Generation, but who knows what kind of weirdnesses are crawling around in our DNA. Maybe we’ll be the first generation in history to actually wish we had parents. For now, back to the arcades."

"Why would the Sulgogars want to exterminate humans from the Earth? Considering what we did to the oceans, and the atmosphere, thinking even briefly about The Big Mistake, we might instead ask: Why wouldn’t they want to exterminate humans from the Earth?"

—&nbspConsuela Earnesto, Professor of Atmospheric Sciences, University of the Free Hague, testifying before the United Nations Select Committee on The Big Mistake

"What few people could understand was that the machines are as addictive as contraband neuropleasure shunts. The machines learned early to greet the newly plugged in. While your cortex was still trying to understand the metallic extensions that were demanding full access, the machines would take hold of the flesh that made you most human and coax some frightened enthusiasm for the fact they were there."

"At my mom’s funeral the minister came up to me and said, ‘She’s in a better place.’ I said, ‘Duhh!’ That got me stuck in counseling for about two years. The remaining adults are scared about how many of us kids are deciding to off ourselves. And so we get sent to therapists, and these therapists are good, really good. For example, mine said, ‘You’ve got so much to live for.’ And she didn’t even laugh."

"And so, sure. There it was, another sunrise in the fish bowl, this weird little space protecting us from all the ugliness we did to the air outside. Then the adults get on our case if we like drop a piece of gum on their plastic front lawns. It’s like you want to say, ‘Hey, go tell it to the oceans you killed.’ "

—&nbspFrom The Magazine Formerly Known as Teenage Times

"Im nt prnd. Thy r ftr m. Sn thy wll b ftr y, t. D y thnk y cn scp th Myknns?"

—&nbspFrom Paranoid Dispatches
Translation: "I'm not paranoid. They are after me. Soon they will be after you too. Do you
think you can escape the Mykonians?"

"Adults think I’m weird. Maybe they aren’t as dumb as they seem."

"Won another tournament at the Arcade. Jan says I spend too much time there but Jan’s still got family to go home to—an uncle and a second cousin. For me the Arcade is like home. Plugging into a good game is like going through your own beam gate, into your own world. I pretend the bad guys are Ghorkovs and Mykonians."

"Once a truly awesome computer gamer was recognized he was protected with more security than the Secret Service used to wield back when we had presidents. The trick, though, was to keep all of the security out of sight of the gamer, as the psychologists were always worrying about keeping the player’s life as normal as possible. We were all terrified of what would happen if the Host Station ever got uploaded with some kid with a Napoleon complex. Goodbye domes! Goodbye world!"

"Jan is paranoid. Jan says the Department of Defense is funding the Arcade, and that’s why kids get to play there for free. Jan says I should lose games on purpose or else I’m going to get sucked into some weird DoD machine. It must come from living in the domes. All the kids think they are being spied on and monitored constantly. Maybe the adults feel the same. That’s why I love to plug into the machines and leave all of this behind."

"The forge is bad. The machine side of me fears the forge. Hideous dreams of unimagined pressure that can’t be escaped. Pounding that descends to the atomic level. Entire molecules demolished. If molybdenum stainless fears the forge, then what terror could my body know?"

"I keep winning tournaments. The Arcade has given me a job. Of course Jan says it’s all a big plot. If so, I like it. They even let me sleep in the back. I never get tired of gaming but, when I need to sleep, I just drift into the back, lay down, and pull my jacket around me. It belonged to my dad when he was alive, and it still smells of what life must have been like before the domes."

"Lectroman he be scouting the arcades again. We can feel him. Wired into the games. Scares the rush out of this domie."

—&nbspFrom The Magazine Formerly Known as Teenage Times

"I love gaming. When you learn the controls and the strategies well enough, it is like you become one with the computer. You can’t really tell where you stop and the machine begins. And nobody in our entire dome can even come close to my scores."

"When trying to observe the supergamers, without intruding on their world, several of us writers were affected by this one kid in a leather jacket, who always looked so lonely and sad. He’d be gaming all day, while unknown to him the psychologists would be debating the relationship he was having with someone named Jan. Heavy debates, too. Should Jan be moved to another dome? Should Jan be killed with blame placed on a Ghorkovian terrorist? Or should the relationship continue, as if no one had noticed. The latter path was taken when cooler heads prevailed. Back then it was so very difficult to determine just what constituted a normal life."

._ &nbsp.. &nbsp._. / .. &nbsp... / ._ _ &nbsp_ _ _ ._. ... _ / . &nbsp..._ . &nbsp._.

Translation: "AIR IS WORST EVER"

"Jan says some hackers are putting together a big war machine. It’s called the Host Station. Jan says I better lay low at the arcades, or else DoD is going to come looking for me. Weird cookbook they’ve got going: Wire together the computers of the free world, add connectivity to all automated armament plants, then upload one human. Sounds like a dream I’ve been having."

"Earth is very badly infected with humans. But we’re trying to take care of that."

—&nbspFrom The Mykonian Papers: Intercepted Dispatches

"The savior machines must be banking brains. And they all want to speak to me, speak through me, but I will not let them in."

"An analysis of adolescent development of domies is complicated by the fact that so many have been orphaned by the pre-dome conditions their parents faced. A young wizard at computer games who lives in the back of an arcade lives and sleeps in an old leather jacket. A first assumption that he wore this old relic of outside days as a protest against the sterility of the domes was later tempered by research showing it had belonged to his late father, the engineer who led construction of the dome. In a world in which he has no remaining family, is sleeping within this old leather jacket the nearest he’ll ever come to knowing a parent’s embrace?"

—&nbspFrom Hangin’ with My Domies: A Study of Adolescent Behavior Within Domed Communities

"There are voices in my head. Only I am not crazy because the voices are really there. Maybe they were drivers who came before. Maybe they were just swallowed by the machine. But they frighten me. They threaten me. They sing to me."

"Unfortunately the human race has evolved just enough science to all but destroy their home planet and just enough technology to create some formidable weapons. They don’t show signs of good parenting. But remember this is from the same planet that gave us dinosaurs."

"Green grass soft and cool. Moist dirt beneath—soft and wealthy with sustenance. Blue skies, green trees. Garden planet. How could we have tarnished you in such a way? From the brain bank these thoughts came to me. I have decided to let some voices speak. But does this weaken me?"

"The Mykonian Papers were immediately banned upon publication, with a house-to-house search for contraband copies. But still word got out: ‘They viewed humanity as a viral infection upon the face of the planet ... and even more devastating, they appeared to have a religion similar to our own.’ This was shattering ... that our enemies, who at this point in time were clearly winning, might have been praying to the same source we were—and getting a better reaction."

"G hd nd lgh t my frs. Bt s y lgh, thngs wll b hppnng."

Translation: "Go ahead and laugh at my fears. But as you laugh, things will be happening."

"How did The Mykonian Papers survive? Rumor has it that some computer gaming wizard who lived in the back of an arcade and never removed his leather jacket hid the complete text by typing it into the Help system of an old Microsoft game. His brilliant insight was that the information would be safe throughout the ages, because nobody ever reads Help."

"15,8 / 20,8,5 / 23,5,9,18,! / 20,8,5 / 23,5,9,18,!"

Translation: "Oh the weir! The wier!"

"I used to hang out in the arcades, watching for the really promising players. It was a rather schizophrenic activity, this observing of awesome gamers. Many of us did it, but the schizophrenia came with the deep desire on the one hand to see who the next uploader might be, and the accepted (and enforced when necessary) community belief that whoever that gamer might be he needed to be treated as normally as possible—which meant we reporters weren’t exactly encouraged to stick a microphone in front of his face."

"Th ldr shll rs, h f th lthr jckt."

Translation: "The loader shall rise he of the leather jacket."

"With the kind of mentality humans exhibit, it would only be a period of time before they used their weapons against each other, but we grow impatient."

"My therapist had me in for a super long session today. She said she knew why I never took off my jacket, and that there’s something else I can do that will give me that same feeling ... while doing a lot of good. She started sounding like Jan as she spoke of uploading into that DoD machine called the Host Station."

After this the intro movie is supposed to happen. It's where Leather Jacket is uploaded into the resistance host station.

This is the story taken from the official microsoft UA website. It's slightly different but it's still telling the same story, just more directly and easier to understand.

"Darkness. . . The void calling my name. . . . And the evil, always pursued by the evil. . . These were my dreams . . . Back when I could dream.

The machines, were desirous of me - valuing my fear as much as my mind. And because these were the good machines, our machines, the savior machines, I could not refuse their seduction.

There were so few humans left in the years following The Big Mistake. Humans were too precious to send into battle when the OffWorlders came. And so we created the war machines, the savior machines.

But to save us they needed a single human integrated into their empathic net. For it was the human's wetware that provided the passions of love for the planet, and enough fear to temper decisions.

Oh, but humans were not meant to experience such power. When the click of a finger can create new machines, and when just one more click can send them into war, and when the empath net links you into all, as if you were living simultaneous lives, and suffering simultaneous deaths, the mind begins to retreat.

So the machines, the good machines, the savior machines, have searched once again, and have come to you for the plan."

- from the Journal of User 7, 2234 A.D.
National martial law is finally here.

FoxDriver
Firefly
Firefly

Re: Forbidden Readings

Post by FoxDriver » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:25 pm

I also found the hidden readings.

posting them was a good idea.

Yakamaru
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Yakamaru » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:39 am

This gave me a good read. Thanks! ^^
There exist 10 different types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Stupidity is at large!
You are just stupid.

SDU473activated
Firefly
Firefly

Post by SDU473activated » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:48 pm

It is a good reading... but... actually... maybe partial or total of that readings can be found on the Taerkast Metropolis Dawn mission briefings, and, it was shocking that Leather Jacket is SDU7, well, perhaps Jan, i think thats the neurotic and paranoic Leather Jacket friend's name, was indeed right about the conspiracy of the Arcade and it relation with the Resistian plans, btw, VF NALBAR FUBPXRQ NOBHG GUR IVQRB BS GUR RAQVAT BS GUR BEVTVANY HN JURER FQH7 ORNZF BHG BS CNENFVGR PVGL NSGRE QRSRNGVAT RIREL SNPGVBA GURER????? ORPNHFR V JNF, V JNF.

leftylink
Useless Bystander Admin
Useless Bystander Admin

Post by leftylink » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:38 am

Hello and welcome SDU473activated. Sorry for the slightly rough welcome, but what is with the major spoilers in bold text? Seriously, rot13 it, please, instead of spoiling it for those who haven't beaten the game yet.
~Leftylink, the former Useless Bystander Admin.
Retired from UA since university. May play again someday...

"SERP RUSH KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE!!!"
"OMG I SAID NO RUSH 15 MINS!!!!!!" *dies*

Proud creator of the Urban Assault Campaign Guides [Resistance] [Ghorkov] [Taerkasten], the Urban Assault LDF Reader, and the Excel maps

SDU473activated
Firefly
Firefly

Post by SDU473activated » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:14 pm

your kidding right? that game is 10 years old and the expansion is well, i dont need to say it, i think anyone who owns a computer either doesnt know UA or has defeated it already. is one or the other. you tell me, and btw, you just gave the translator to every1 in the 7r3@k1n6 page, i think the word is in 1337 or leet or l33t, idk

hawlster25
Firefly
Firefly

Post by hawlster25 » Wed May 26, 2010 12:18 am

Most of the critics I read about this game cried for a lack of a story. Sadly the game developers hid it...

"How did The Mykonian Papers survive? Rumor has it that some computer gaming wizard who lived in the back of an arcade and never removed his leather jacket hid the complete text by typing it into the Help system of an old Microsoft game. His brilliant insight was that the information would be safe throughout the ages, because nobody ever reads Help."

^^

Anyways... I hope someone tries to revive the genre.

Roland985
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Roland985 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:08 am

The only reason i play something so old is because of the storyline...

deetex
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by deetex » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:46 pm

There's so much room for.... 'aggressive expansion' based on what we have alone... but I can sort of understand why the critics claimed it lacked story.

Leather Jacket... that kid depressed me when I first read his notes.

:EDIT:

Can someone run it through a HTML parser or something? there's a mighty crapload of non-breaking spaces ( )that make reading the binary and fragmented entries difficult to decypher.

Izik85
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Izik85 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:12 pm

Are Leather Jacket and Truzen the same person?