A Third Attempt At A UA Timeline

Urban Assault has a very interesting plotline, but it is usually hidden from the players. Discuss the rich story of UA here, or write your own fan fiction and display it here!
Servant
Firefly
Firefly

A Third Attempt At A UA Timeline

Post by Servant » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:41 am

I know there is already a stickied UA Timeline, but it is very short and does not appear to have dates and a certain level of organization...and I also do not agree with its interpretation of events. There is also another UA Timeline, but that one specifically creates its own history instead of hewing closely to the game. Here's my stab at a timeline, though I am not sure if such a stab will work. I attempt to stay as close to the Help Files and Mission Briefings as possible.

Unknown?: The Black Sect established. Had connections with various secret societies and royal familes, "shaped history before there was history".

The following events has occurred between 1998 and 2013
--Big Mistake: The Earth's atmosphere begin to collapse, caused by the ozone depletion. Resource wars began to be fought over dwindling resources.
--New technologies were developed to deal with the aftermath of the Big Mistake, such as "plasma formation—the ability to materialize solid constructions out of thin air". Everyone however wanted this technology, leading to a world-wide war that destroyed "three centuries of alliances" and divided humanity against itself.
---Immediately after the Big Mistake but before the beginning of the Toxic Age, the "Ghorkovs" (otherwise known as the Eastern European nation of Kyternesia) was established as a major faction. The Ghorkovs were a militarist and totalitarian faction with leftist leanings, prone to cults of personality. They were the only major survivors of the pre-Toxic Age.
--Invasion of the Mykonians, who wanted to wipe out humanity and colonize Earth. The Mykonians take a dim view of the Human race, and see them as an irresponsible race. They suspected the Humans would use their weapons against themselves, but grew "impatient". The Mykonians classified Earth as a "Grade 7J battery", and installed a Parasite to drain energy from the Earth's core, causing even more damage to the Earth's ecosystem. The area where the Parasite is located is known as Parasite City.
--The first Humans to saw the Mykonians went into a cult-like fervor to wipe out the alien race, calling themselves the Taerkastens. They abandoned technology and appear to be ruled by a theocratic government.
---The Sulgogars invaded Earth soon after. The Sulgogars sees the humans as fertilizer and want to use Earth as spawning grounds.
---To destroy both the Mykonians and the Sulgogars, the Stoudson Corporation developed the "Stoudson Bomb". It is a bomb that will produce "a photon shockwave that breaks down all matter on the molecular level" , and had multiple trigger points. The "trigger codes" have been broken however, meaning anybody could use these Bombs, so long as they control all the trigger points. These Bombs were installed throughout the world at key locations and will destroy anyone other than those who control the Bomb.
---The Stoudson Corporation also created the "Fox" military unit, which was praised by retired Defense General Weissflog as a cheap anti-air weapon.
---The Toxic Age begins...due to the destruction of the Earth's atmosphere, most of humanity has to enter into "domed cities" for survival. These "domed cities" were manned by an organization now known as The Resistance. One of the engineers who was responsible for constructing the dome was Leather Jacket's father.
---The Resistance attempted to sell out the Ghorkovs to the Mykonians, causing the Ghorkovs to hate The Resistance.
---The Resistance became besieged by all the factions, and were "months away" from extinction before "certain destruction" before hackers created the Host Stations, manned by "seven human synaptic donor units" (SDU), including "Leather Jacket" (also known as SDU 7). The SDUs would control AI-"war machines", as it would be far too risky to send actual human beings into combat. The AI willingly submitted themselves to SDU rule (and even encouraged SDU leadership). It appeared each SDU was activated one at a time (and only after the death of a previous SDU). SDUs were recruited based on their skills in playing games at a 'free' arcade, and were observed very carefully before being forcibly recruited.
---Secret training sanctuaries were established throughout the world to allow for the SDUs to train before being deployed on the battlefield.
---The first SDU, a female, defected to the Black Sect, at Maze Wayz. She gave the Black Sect access to a prototype Host Station that was intended to be given to SDU 7. The Black Sect stole the Host Station to enter into the ongoing conflict.
---SDU 2 attempted to investigate the Mykonian Labyrinth, but was driven off (possibly by Ghorkovs also investigating the Labyrinth).
---SDU 2 wrote about a popular scientific theory of the Earth being a "gigantic organism capable of self-balancing its many life forms" in his journal and speculated that the "arms race" between the human faction "exists solely to send every damn one of us back into the stone age". SDU 2 also wrote about the "Black Sect", indicating that there was at least prior knowledge of the existence of this faction at this time.

2014: SDU 2 was destroyed in battle in the area known as "Great Confusion".
2015: SDU 3 and SDU 4 was destroyed in battle at Hurz. Before dying, SDU 4 "preactivated" a Stoudson Bomb at Hamburger Hill. SDU 4 also discovered that the bionic ducts of the Mykonians lead to one central place: Parasite City (where the Mykonian Parasite is located).
2016: SDU 5 was destroyed at Taerkastik (controlled by Taerkasten). SDU 5 also opposed fighting at 'Twin Rocks' (also known as "Surprise"). SDU 5 claimed that the Ghorkovs has a special connection to that place.

With the destruction of 5 SDUs in only a short period of time, The Resistance probably decided to ration its resources at this point, and rarely send its military out to battle. (That, or it's a typo and SDU 6 died in 2017 instead of 2071, but we will go by what the actual in-game text says.)

The following events probably occurred between 2017 and 2070, but it could have very well happened before.
---The Mykonian Papers (private communications between Mykonians) were released to the general public. Though they were banned, most people knew what the documents say. They outline the Mykonians' society and views towards humanity, but the most explosive revelation from those papers is that the Mykonians believe in the same God as humanity. The Mykonian Papers survived due to the efforts of "Leather Jacket", who saved the papers by typing it in the Help files.
---Sylvius Shlkavisoon, an employee at the Resistance-ran Arcade, apparently defected to the Taerkastens, kidnapping a very good child arcade prodigy[1] and forcing him to run a Taerkasten Flying Fortress. She may have served as a double agent for the Taerkastens all along, spying on Resistance society in order to find recruits.
---Skull Alley was established by Ghorkovs, first as a penal colony, and then as a research station, where Resistance-aligned scientists were forced to work for the Ghorkovs.
---The Black Sect and the Taerkasten formed a "technology share agreement" which was then terminated when the Black Sect turned the Taerkasten's Bronsteijns against them. The Taerkasten seek revenge.

3/17/2071: SDU 6 destroyed by Ghorkovians at Moonlight City. Memorial services held at Hyde Park. Original "Urban Assault" campaign begins.
---SDU 7 found and destroyed the Taerkasten Standing Stones, which gave power to the Taerkastens and is probably seen by many as the reason why the Taerkasten Flying Fortresses...can, well, fly.
---SDU 7 also conquered Pedestal Mountain from the Taerkasten.
---SDU 7 also successfully lead the Resistance to victory in Parasite City, destroying the Parasite. The ecological damage caused by the Parasite began to be reversed.

The following event occured between 2072 and 2120.
---The Resistance, newly emboldened by the victory at Parasite City, launched an attack on the Taerkastens, taking over most of its historical territory. The survivors, including Sylvius' child prodigy fled to find a Taerkasten castle, where all the secrets of the Taerkasten were held (including new machines). Taerkasten campaign begins. The child prodigy liberated Pedestal Mountain again, giving hope that the Taerkasten can recover. Later, the child prodigy went 'rogue', no longer serving the Taerkastens, but instead himself. The child prodigy successfully reached the library and read its secrets.
---The Resistance had enough resources to mass-produce SDUs and Host Stations. SDU 7 was no longer the last SDU alive.
---The Ghorkovs began establishing farming communities in the newly-inhabitable Earth. However, the Resistance used these "farmers" to construct their war machines (removing their limbs first), further angering the Ghorkovs. It is possible however that these "farmers" willingly defected to the Resistance.
---Many Ghorkovs began defecting to the Resistance, leading to the Ghorkovs to try and arrest these dissenters and turn them into forced "organ donors" (though everyone already over the age of 60 is an automatic "organ donor", the age by which one becomes an "organ donor" can be reduced).

2121: The Ghorkovs discovered that the Mykonians are attempting to build a second Parasite. Its leader decided to attack and destroy this new Parasite in an attempt to sway the "misguided" (those who are not members of the Ghorkovs) onto their side, both by claiming credit for saving the Earth and by making a demonstration of force similar to the Resistance's demonstration of force in 2071. Ghorkov campaign begins. The Ghorkovs succeeded in destroying the parasite (this time in Parasite Dome instead of Parasite City), though it is unknown whether the Ghorkovs' plan to gain supporters actually worked.
---The Ghorkovs also conquered the Taerkasten castle and learnt all their secrets.

[1]The reason I assume this is the case is that there were reference of Slyvius working at the arcades (though said quotes were actually originally printed in the "Forbidden Reading") and the player saying that he sympathized more with the Resistance or Ghorkovs than he did with the Taerkastens.

Brachy UA FREAK
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Re: A Third Attempt At A UA Timeline

Post by Brachy UA FREAK » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:31 am

Nice timeline, must have been a great effort I think.
However I believe that some facts that are told in the Missionbriefings are not true. The Kyternesians claim that the Resistance eat humans.

You must consider that the mission briefings offer 3 different perspectives , and I believe that only certain events are true.

Anyways , I like your thoughts about Sylvius as doubleagent and kidnapping Leatherjacket.
However I believe Sylvius is a male name ^^

Oh and: Most of the Generals officiers etc. in the Orginal UA Missionbriefings most people are members of the Team that desigend UA (i.e) Weissflog.
GET YOUR HANDS OFF FROM THAT PARASITE!
Or
I LL QUADDA YOU

://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/MykoniansUB1.png
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/X01-Quadda.gif

Myko Mod [MID] back alive after long hiatus!

Servant
Firefly
Firefly

Post by Servant » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:01 pm

Honestly, you're probably right that the Kyternesians are not reliable sources, and I might have been a bit too credulous, but I also do assume that while each faction offer their own perspective, that they all tell the truth.

Anyway, the reason I made this timeline is to just make it easier for me to know when events happen, as a resource in case I want to build off this timeline (like a new campaign or something).

Also, thanks for letting me know about the fact that these generals are named after people who made the UA game. I think the UA devs probably didn't treat the story as seriously as I just did making this timeline (though the original ending of UA and the Kyternesians' campaign should have clued me in).

Brachy UA FREAK
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Brachy UA FREAK » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:33 pm

hmmh.
As for the Kyternasian ending: My campaign starts while or shortly after the Ghorkovs defeated the Mykonians in Paradome
GET YOUR HANDS OFF FROM THAT PARASITE!
Or
I LL QUADDA YOU

://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/MykoniansUB1.png
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/X01-Quadda.gif

Myko Mod [MID] back alive after long hiatus!

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:47 am

I would understand "resistance eating humans" to have less of a literal meaning and more of a mental transformation.

This would be great content to add to the Wiki Story Line -->http://www.metropolisdawn.com/wiki/storyline

We could have several views of how UA is played out

MarcOlle
Bugged Ostwind?
Bugged Ostwind?

Post by MarcOlle » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:30 pm

Well, great timeline, but a thing that I think is wrong is the people who was hired to control the SDU...
on begining was military officers, but after the death of all mlitaries and only with engineers to control The Resistance, the hope for them was to find a new person (Leather Jacket). So they create the arcade to start the test and choose the person with a young mind that would be capable to control the SDU 7 as a militar leader.
Trying to do a comeback...
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/SulgogarsUB2.png[/img]
________________________________________________________________________________________
Fra6160 at 29/Apr/2009 wrote:In 2011 we'll discover the plasma creation :D
And still we have not discovered the plasma creation...

GhorDragoon
Weasel
Weasel

Post by GhorDragoon » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:44 am

Your timeline is great and this one doesn't tell that the ghorkovs beat everybody which is unclear and for me imposible. Also I like how you made the origin of Truzen but he really went rogue? becuase I never saw it when I complete metropolis dawn

Servant
Firefly
Firefly

Post by Servant » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:59 pm

GhorDragoon wrote:Your timeline is great and this one doesn't tell that the ghorkovs beat everybody which is unclear and for me imposible. Also I like how you made the origin of Truzen but he really went rogue? becuase I never saw it when I complete metropolis dawn
I know it's been a few years since this post was made, but I just discovered it. The reason I assumed he went rogue was because of this quote:
I reached my goal, the big Taerkasten
castle, all the knowledge of the order.
All their papers and documents. New
machines. Great freedom. For humanity?
For me! The last fight. All try to keep
me away. The castle is surrounded. It
takes quietness to read. I will take
care that it will be quiet...
I guess that was me being too literal in assuming that he's doing it only for himself. It's possible he could technically still be serving the Taerkasten, even if he's only fighting for his own personal reasons.

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:30 pm

Servant wrote:I know it's been a few years since this post was made, but I just discovered it. The reason I assumed he went rogue was because of this quote:
I reached my goal, the big Taerkasten
castle, all the knowledge of the order.
All their papers and documents. New
machines. Great freedom. For humanity?
For me! The last fight. All try to keep
me away. The castle is surrounded. It
takes quietness to read. I will take
care that it will be quiet...
I guess that was me being too literal in assuming that he's doing it only for himself. It's possible he could technically still be serving the Taerkasten, even if he's only fighting for his own personal reasons.
Interesting observation... I've never thought about those lines in that way. What I like about UA storylines is that many things are expressed in vague and ambiguous ways so the interpretations are mostly open and freely up to the readers.

Although it can't be ascertained with definite evidence from the texts, the theory of Truzen went rogue with his own intentions sounds rather plausible. Truzen's internal monologues throughout the Taerkasten campaign display many uncertainties and a crisis of faith in his inner self.

Perhaps his allegiance to Taerkasten was not strictly loyal; and if so could it be because he was just another kid who was brought into this war, thanks to his prodigious ability and talent as an eligible Host Station master? In a similar way that the Resistance government was operating the Arcades to search for the most promising player(=Leather Jacket) in the virtual war simulation game that was developed to mimic the interface of actual Host Stations, while putting him under the constant surveillance of psychologists and a secret service - only to eventually upload him into the last remaining Host Station of the Resistance when the time had finally came.

Incidentally I don't think Sylvius Shlkavisoon (the person who brought Truzen into the Taerkasten's cause and also serves as his mentor during his quest for a retrieval of lost Taerkasten territories and knowledge) was a defected agent from the Resistance, but rather an original member of the Taerkasten Order who was out there (he might have been secretly working as an employee in one of the arcades owned by the Resistance) to look for another cadet of child prodigy like Leather Jacket. There is a mentioning of a Taerkasten high priest named 'Sylvius III' in the Hamburger Hill mission briefing. It could be a different person but that's very unlikely.
;----------------------------------------------------------
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;
;----------------------------------------------------------

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!