VBMP files

For those of us who are curious and like to poke around in the game's data files and scripts as well as glitching. Caters to anything from unit/building stats to level data to telling how to glitch and stories of game errors.
MarioSDU6/SDU7
Slime Lord
Slime Lord

VBMP files

Post by MarioSDU6/SDU7 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:09 pm

That must be really awesome the info you gave about that! I'll try to make some experiments with the Taer Power Station 2 and with the Myko Power Station 2 versions to see if I can make their respective platforms and so they can finally work like I could have wished (or do you like I keep those flaks on the ground without platforms? )

And one off topic question, which programs I need to open the BAS and pal. files (including the ones that are hidden on these BAS files)? I actually want to make new skies and also to edit the colors of the building textures so I can make a new Set2 (it will be Set7) that is about night, and another one about Set2 but Mykonized and for the Ghor and Taer Intense Mods.

EDIT: I also forgot to tell you, some sub-buildings that are destructible (if they have 1 as the fifth number) might need only 300 points of damage to change to the next number (on this case, a common tower-shaped pole), while others might need more than 1500 damage to change to the next number (such as Ghorkov and Taerkasten Flak Station structures).
Last edited by GoldStar611 on Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: split topic
Intense Mod progress (it includes tests):
Resistance 100% done
Demo version uncertain fate
New Ghorkov and Taerkasten 100% done

Factions of choice: Resistance, Ghorkovs, Taerkastens

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Re: Editing sectors and finding the working ones

Post by GoldStar611 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:23 am

You can make new SKY files, how good they will look I do not know :P

The sky files reside in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Urban Assault\DATA\OBJECTS

and to open the BAS file is not possible (right now), but there is a utility I made to extract the VBMP files and then you must use another utility I made to convert the VBMP files to normal BMP files. Then you can open, flip and edit the bitmap and flip again and save.

The reverse process is very complicated. You will need to use a hexeditor to copy the bitmap data (location 0x436) and then paste that into the SET.BAS file manually. I have not created tools for this process yet.

I wrote a quick windows batch file to ease the pain of extracting and converting the VBMP files

extractall.bat

Code: Select all

for /f %%f in ('dir /b .\SET*') do (
  cd %%f\OBJECTS\
  ..\..\VBMP_extractor.exe SET.BAS
  cd ..\..\
)
pause
and

convertall.bat

Code: Select all

for /f %%f in ('dir /b .\SET*') do (
  cd %%f\OBJECTS\
  for /f %%f in ('dir /b *.ILBM') do ..\..\vbmp-bmp_converter.exe %%f
  cd ..\..\
)
pause
0. (Optional) Download http://files.metropolisdawn.com/persona ... xtures.zip
1. Run ExtractAll.bat
2. Run ConvertAll.bat
3. Then go look in the SET\OBJECTS folder for your VBMP and BMP files
Attachments
UAVBMP.exe
VBMP extractor
(3.49 KiB) Downloaded 138 times

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Re: VBMP files

Post by GoldStar611 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:33 am

I did infact receive it. The details on how to put it back into the bas file is very complicated. I wont have time until the weekend to write about it but it goes like this:

BAS->VBMP->BMP (the easy part)
edit BMP->save (also easy)

Open BMP file in hex editor and go to offset 0x436 and copy 65536 bytes of data
Close BMP file and open VBMP file. Go to offset 0x22 and delete everything after that location including that byte. Paste the 65536 bytes of data at that location (0x22) and Save file.
Select all contents of VBMP file and copy, then close VBMP file
Open BAS file, find the texture file you are editing, find where the FORM identifier starts and over write that data and save.

MarioSDU6/SDU7
Slime Lord
Slime Lord

Post by MarioSDU6/SDU7 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:23 pm

GoldStar611 wrote:I did infact receive it. The details on how to put it back into the bas file is very complicated. I wont have time until the weekend to write about it but it goes like this:

BAS->VBMP->BMP (the easy part)
edit BMP->save (also easy)

Open BMP file in hex editor and go to offset 0x436 and copy 65536 bytes of data
Close BMP file and open VBMP file. Go to offset 0x22 and delete everything after that location including that byte. Paste the 65536 bytes of data at that location (0x22) and Save file.
Select all contents of VBMP file and copy, then close VBMP file
Open BAS file, find the texture file you are editing, find where the FORM identifier starts and over write that data and save.
Okay, and I understand. ONly one question, when I must go to offset 0x436 and 0x22, the offset base must be decimal, or hexadecimal?
Resistance 100% done

MarioSDU6/SDU7
Slime Lord
Slime Lord

Post by MarioSDU6/SDU7 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:06 am

GoldStar611 wrote:that is hexadecimal offset, that is what the 0x means :)

Here I edited BODEN1.bmp and opened in hexeditor. I went to offset 0x436 and copied 65536 bytes of data to clipboard
Sprite 15.jpg

Here I opened SET.BAS and searched for BODEN1.ILBM and skipped to where it says 'BODY' and 4 bytes after I set my cursor
Sprite 17.jpg

Now I paste my customized BODEN1 ground and overwrite original data and then SAVE SET.BAS
Sprite 56.jpg
Hehe! I finally got it! I tend to don't comment until I get good results as I'm pretty intuitive and I don't like to give up! I already got your explanation! :D Now it's certain I can do the new set 8 about set 5 but on night environment!
Resistance 100% done

MarioSDU6/SDU7
Slime Lord
Slime Lord

Post by MarioSDU6/SDU7 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:00 pm

GoldStar611 wrote:Great! Now lets see some new textures!! Hard part is decoding how textures will go to the vehicles because they are not perfect squares or rectangles.
Yeah, and placing the right textures on their place is not easy.
But yeah, some screenshots about Set 8 (or Set 5+3):

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

Image 5

Image 6

Image 7

I made those snapshots using the stage Taerkasten Wimps, and they actually worked as I placed all edited textures (plus the Set3 vehicle and Host Station textures along with the Black sect robo textures) on place! (=
Resistance 100% done

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:08 am

Great work so far Mario!

ormu, yes the BAS files have all the wireframes, textures and animation information within.

What is the building code for that building with the face on it?! I want to check out the skeleton file for that one.

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:41 pm

GoldStar611 wrote: ormu, yes the BAS files have all the wireframes, textures and animation information within.
Yes, I know that, but I mean these files (this is the first line of SET.sdf of set 4):

ET_EMPTY.base skeleton/ST_EMPTY.sklt 0 1 0 0 ;SET 4 ICE

There are some entries with a text "base.class" in SET.bas files. Some of them have a model name nearby too. Could they have something to do with the textures and models?

And nice work, Mario!
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.
UA community Discord channel: https://discord.gg/7H4dFQH
Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

MarioSDU6/SDU7
Slime Lord
Slime Lord

Post by MarioSDU6/SDU7 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:53 am

GoldStar611 wrote:Great work so far Mario!
Thanks! It actually took me hours to fully edit all the textures and so to make a new one, and GoldStar611, do you like I also submit snapshots about the set 11? I already mykonized the Set5, and with a night version dubbed Set 12! XD Or do you prefer to wait until the Ghorkov Intense Mod gets out and you can see it by your own?
Resistance 100% done

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:51 pm

Wow, a whole new set? That's quite amazing. I would definitely be interested in seeing pictures of some of the changes you made to it (as well as knowing what set you started off with)