Consolidated modding guides

For those of us who are curious and like to poke around in the game's data files and scripts as well as glitching. Caters to anything from unit/building stats to level data to telling how to glitch and stories of game errors.
leftylink
Useless Bystander Admin
Useless Bystander Admin

Consolidated modding guides

Post by leftylink » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:17 am

Instead of having these threads take up all this space at the top of this forum, their links are now combined into one topic.

UA Unit Voice-Overs by Shakan
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=21

Fixing Helicopters by O Y ME
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=207

Modding UA Levels with Notepad by O Y ME
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=54

LDF files guide by Terratools
http://www.metropolisdawn.com/files/mod ... -level.doc

Modding Vehicles and Weapons by Alfa
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=58

"Reload Bug" by Leftylink
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=392
~Leftylink, the former Useless Bystander Admin.
Retired from UA since university. May play again someday...

"SERP RUSH KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE!!!"
"OMG I SAID NO RUSH 15 MINS!!!!!!" *dies*

Proud creator of the Urban Assault Campaign Guides [Resistance] [Ghorkov] [Taerkasten], the Urban Assault LDF Reader, and the Excel maps

OrangaStanger
Firefly
Firefly

Re: Consolidated modding guides

Post by OrangaStanger » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:09 pm

Hello, Im new to this site but from what I've read, Lefty, you are one great guy. I am truly sorry to ask this but i have never actually seen this clearly displayed. Could someone give me exact directions to enable enemy vehicle use in the campaign such as Quaddas as the resistance? And could I also have a complete list of each vehicle and weapons ID number thats in the user.txt
BOOM_SON.kill INITIATE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:10 pm

See these threads for unit/weapon/building IDs:

Resistance:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10

Ghorkovs:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12

Taerkastens:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14

Mykonians:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16

Sulgogars:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17

Black Sect:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=78

Drones etc:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=18

Enabling enemy vehicles is possible via user.txt (though the startup scripts might cause problems, I have to test this myself to give better answers...) or via level files (see "Prototype enabling" section).
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.
UA community Discord channel: https://discord.gg/7H4dFQH
Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

OrangaStanger
Firefly
Firefly

Post by OrangaStanger » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:29 pm

Thank you, I feel like an idiot because about 30 seconds after posting I discovered those. Thank you. So back to the campaign thing. I know you can do it in the user.txt file but I am truly wondering how. I modify what units I can have in multiplayer because just today in robotics class me and my bud fired up urban assualt, I fidled with the multiplayer maps and viola, im the sulgogars. so im thinking it has something to do with the begin_levelstatus 2 status = 2 things in the user.txt. Btw there has been some talk of Urban assualt being resurrected at Microsofts gaming department. They feel that if they start th rtss movement that they will bring in the cash so who knows. Pray for it.

OrangaStanger
Firefly
Firefly

Post by OrangaStanger » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:34 pm

Also does anyone know how to give host stations 10000 energy on multiplayer maps. And is there a way around those pesky multiplayer maps that have the telephone on them? I really want to play 3 player in robotics with meh buddehs but I couldnt get it to work :[

leftylink
Useless Bystander Admin
Useless Bystander Admin

Post by leftylink » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:21 am

OrangaStanger wrote:Could someone give me exact directions to enable enemy vehicle use in the campaign such as Quaddas as the resistance?
Hmm... I can't give exact directions because I don't have UA on this computer, but edit in user.txt, look for a line that reads begin_vehicle <id>

Under it, you'll see something like

Code: Select all

disable = 1
Just change disable to enable and you would have been all good to go, but UA disables all non-Resistance vehicles when you start a level. I think to fix that you need to move the appropriate vehicle from feinde.scr (in the data directory) to user.scr, restart the game, and then make the appropriate edits to user.txt, but I forget whether that actually works. Anyone?
OrangaStanger wrote:there has been some talk of Urban assualt being resurrected at Microsofts gaming department. They feel that if they start th rtss movement that they will bring in the cash so who knows. Pray for it.
I'll believe it when I see it. After all, Bronsteijn24K has said the same thing.
OrangaStanger wrote:Also does anyone know how to give host stations 10000 energy on multiplayer maps.
Look for a section labeled begin_robo <id> or something like that, and there should be a line with its energy somewhere under it. Remember that energy is divided by 100 (IIRC...)
~Leftylink, the former Useless Bystander Admin.
Retired from UA since university. May play again someday...

"SERP RUSH KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE!!!"
"OMG I SAID NO RUSH 15 MINS!!!!!!" *dies*

Proud creator of the Urban Assault Campaign Guides [Resistance] [Ghorkov] [Taerkasten], the Urban Assault LDF Reader, and the Excel maps

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:12 pm

leftylink wrote: Just change disable to enable and you would have been all good to go, but UA disables all non-Resistance vehicles when you start a level. I think to fix that you need to move the appropriate vehicle from feinde.scr (in the data directory) to user.scr, restart the game, and then make the appropriate edits to user.txt, but I forget whether that actually works. Anyone?
As far as I remember, one of the startup scripts is loaded when starting a level and it loads FEINDE.scr. This resets all modifications made to the vehicles which are stored in Feinde.scr.

So if you move a vehicle from feinde.scr to user.scr it will stay in your possession. But I think enemies will keep it as well (i.e. level 1 has Speedy enabled for Ghorkovs, level 2 not, you move Speedy from feinde to user and Ghorkovs will still have it in level 2). In order to prevent this you probably have to make a duplicate of the vehicle with different vehicle number.
OrangaStanger wrote:And is there a way around those pesky multiplayer maps that have the telephone on them? I really want to play 3 player in robotics with meh buddehs but I couldnt get it to work :[
Do other levels (without that telephone) work?

I've never played UA in multiplayer mode but I think those levels are intended to use with modem connection and cannot (?) be used with other connection types. It may be possible to change this by modifying the level file but I'm not sure how. I'll try to find it out.

OrangaStanger
Firefly
Firefly

Post by OrangaStanger » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:29 pm

Thanks you guys. You have no Idea how many people never actually help when a question is asked. On the multiplayer maps it was hard to differentiate which map actually is an internet map in the txt files. each one is different. Sometimes it will flatly say Internet Enabled. Or go as far to scream with joy NIETZWURK ENABLED!!!! So far it is very annoying to probe through these files but im trudging along.

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:33 pm

Ok, it seems that levels with the telephone symbol contain this line in the main information section:

Code: Select all

slow_connection	 =  yes
But note that it is only used to tell that the level is suitable for slow connection. You should still be able to play it with faster connection, and you can play levels without it via slow connection, such as modem.

As I said, I've never played UA in multiplayer mode so I don't know much about it. I think you might have problems with firewalls, routers, NAT or something. The multiplayer mode of UA is old and primitive.

Thomas Fredson
Emperor of the Mykonians (Veteran)
Emperor of the Mykonians (Veteran)

Post by Thomas Fredson » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:35 pm

Nowadays you can play every single levels from the MP mode. these considerations were good 10 years ago when connection speed didn't get higher than 8-10kBps, and when LAN was (is still?) faster than internet.
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/MykoniansUB1.png[/img]
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/MykoniansUB2.png[/img]
://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t318/Al-Khabir/UrbanAssaultSig4.gif[/img]

Also administrator of UAFr Board

The Big Mistake album in progress! (ABORTED)