Skeleton Files

For those of us who are curious and like to poke around in the game's data files and scripts as well as glitching. Caters to anything from unit/building stats to level data to telling how to glitch and stories of game errors.
MarcOlle
Bugged Ostwind?
Bugged Ostwind?

Re: Skeleton Files

Post by MarcOlle » Thu May 20, 2010 12:59 am

I know a game that has the skeleton a lot of simillar to the UA skeleton...
The game is GeneRally and it is a simple race game with 3d vehicles...
This game has a lot of fans and several editors, like a car editor...
This tool create new cars for game and I believe the skeleton has a lot of common with the UA skeletons...

You can see if it can work with the UA skeletons, I believe this will gonna be the right way to new vehicles
Trying to do a comeback...
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/SulgogarsUB2.png[/img]
________________________________________________________________________________________
Fra6160 at 29/Apr/2009 wrote:In 2011 we'll discover the plasma creation :D
And still we have not discovered the plasma creation...

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Thu May 20, 2010 4:15 am

I took a look at the track and car files and I didnt see any IEEE 745 floating points. All of the UA skeleton files have the verticies stored as an index of floating point units in big endian format.

For those curious, the big endian to little endian conversion is quite easy -- just a simple assembly BSWAP command could be used inline with c++ code.

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:14 pm

GoldStar611 wrote:Can I say at least a Little success? Hah

*images*
Are these models stored in SET.bas files or in SKL files in \data\wireless\ folder?

Anyway, that looks :awsm: Keep up the great work.
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.
UA community Discord channel: https://discord.gg/7H4dFQH
Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:22 am

The pictures I posted of the skeleton reader are from set.bas It's also able to read the skl files in wireless folder because they use the same format.

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:57 pm

Now that we have GoldStar's model viewer (and hopefully an editor someday :awsm:) there might not be a need for other tools anymore... but I found an old thread on UAHQ forums where someone told that a program called Shadow Realm Model Animator should be able to open SKL files... You can find some information about in on the 'net but it seems that you can't download or buy it anywhere.

http://shadow-realm-model-animator.soft ... ormer.com/

(Be careful and don't download anything from that site if you don't know what you're doing... someone told that those sites may contain rogue software.)

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:54 am

From what I can tell, the urban assault files are proprietary in the way they are compiled.
BAS files are standard EA85/IFF files, but the content is a creation of the makers of UA.
ILBM files were popular on Amiga computers and open nicely.
VBMP files are regular bitmaps but with a custom header and predefined palette of colors and thus are discarded to save disk space.
SKL or SKLT files were created from scratch I think, I can't find anywhere a program that will open these or saves 3D points/lines/wireframes similar. But again it uses standard IEEE754 encoding to represent the coordinates of each point

There are also some other 'resources' in the BAS files that I haven't had a time to disassemble such as the animations and how the textures are mapped to the wireframes.

Sorry to sort of rant on how it's not possible to open the files up with something else...I say our SINGLE BIGGEST helpful program would be a program to extract IFF chunks from the BAS files...maybe you can find something (I wasnt able to a few years back but search engines get better all the time)

Xyneline
Zeppelin
Zeppelin

Post by Xyneline » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:05 pm

GoldStar611 wrote:I have a question, what 3D modeling programs (freeware preferably) do people use? I've downloaded google sketch and that is kinda cool and I also have Serif Applications 3DPlus.
I know this is an old post, but I'm quite familiar with Blender, a free open source 3D software with many features. Blender can import some common 3D file formats like .obj, .dae, .3ds, .svg, .stl.
GoldStar611 wrote:I might make a converter for a standard format like .X or .DSW .DSG so we can utilize 3d programs that are already created. May also be easier to do that too so I dont have to build my own program to view the files.. So many options, let me know what will be easiest for you (who would like to mess around with the files)
It seems like it'd be less work to convert to a more common 3D model file, like Wavefront .obj, and edit it in existing 3D software because you wouldn't have to program as much 3D editing tools. I was looking at how the .obj files are organized, and it seems simple enough, at least for a plane. Do you think the UA model coordinates could translate well to this or another format?

Here's what I understand so far from playing around with an obj file:

Code: Select all

# This is a commented line
o testPlane # This is the name of the object model, which would show up in a 3D application

# The coordinates are weird, similar to UA's mapping of x, y, z (must be a computer thing)
# It's in this format:
# v (a vertex) [x coord - Right is positive, left is negative] [y coord - The depth; higher is positive, lower is negative] [z coord - up (as seen looking down on the object) is negative, down is positive]
v 1.000000 0.000000 1.000000 # v1 - This is the bottom right corner vertex of the plane
v -1.000000 0.000000 1.000000 # v2 - This is the bottom left corner vertex
v 1.000000 0.000000 -1.000000 # v3 - Top right corner vertex
v -1.000000 0.000000 -1.000000 # v4 - Top left corner vertex

s off #Don't need to pay attention to this; on is for smooth shading in the 3D application

# The face of the plane follows with the format: f (for face) [numbers representing the vertices from the given order]
# To make one face that doesn't overlap, the vertices should be listed contiguously, as points sharing an edge
f 2 1 3 4 # Connected from the bottom left corner (v2) to the bottom right (v1) to the top right (v3) to the top left (v4)
Here's a picture of the plane obj in Blender's 3D window:
testplane.JPG
testplane.JPG (15.34 KiB) Viewed 914 times

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:07 pm

I definitely agree that converting the skeleton file into a more common format and using existing tools to edit the file would be super easier. I just however do not know what file would be the best.

It looks like you have a good start. The skeleton files have Vertex points as well as Edges that connect verticies. Primitives are either triangles or rectangles, or lines, plus some other unknown ones I just discovered when writing my LabVIEW viewer.

Xyneline
Zeppelin
Zeppelin

Post by Xyneline » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:16 pm

GoldStar611 wrote:I definitely agree that converting the skeleton file into a more common format and using existing tools to edit the file would be super easier. I just however do not know what file would be the best.
I think the wavefront obj file format is widely accepted in 3D applications, but I don't think it can support animations of mesh or textures. It can, however, come with another file with .mtl extension for material settings, and I think the obj file will hold UV coordinates for texture placement on the mesh. Wikipedia has a good basic explanation of this file format.

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:37 pm

GoldStar: I tried to do something using VPython and had some success. However, not all SKL/SKLT models are rendered properly. For example, the file "VPwWASP.sklt" that comes with your model viewer (the old one, not LabView) gives only an upside-down V-shaped thing even though your viewer renders it fine (it's actually Tiger). OTLBOMBA.skl works just fine.

Have you found out more information related to the POL2 section? In the first post you said command 2 means line from <start> to <end> but the command can apparently have values other than 2 too.

POL2, 00,00,00,16 ==> Size, unsigned integer
00,00,00,03 ==> Number of edges, unsigned integer
00,02,00,00,00,03 ==> Command, line start, line end, short unsigned integers?
Attachments
otlbomba_vpython.png
OTLBOMBA.skl rendered using VPython
otlbomba_vpython.png (35.76 KiB) Viewed 1154 times