Any one know what the model files are

For those of us who are curious and like to poke around in the game's data files and scripts as well as glitching. Caters to anything from unit/building stats to level data to telling how to glitch and stories of game errors.
Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Re: Any one know what the model files are

Post by Ormu » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:50 pm

GoldStar611 wrote:Sorry I never responded about your set.sdf/visproto.lst question. I completely overlooked it.

To my knowledge, the SDF and LST files are not needed or read by urban assault. I beleive they are there to help us disassemble the BAS file.

Now the visproto.lst file contains information regarding vehicles, while set.sdf contains information regarding buildings.

I would have to read over my notes again, I remember finding X,Y coordinate pairs inside the BAS file -- this may be the same information in the SDF/LST files but I never made that connection. That was my first guess, that all the numbers represent X,Y points on the texture. Maybe you can ask a more questions and I can try to explain better

--EDIT--
I read your post again and I believe you have some confusion. SKL contains wireframes for heads up display only! The BASE files are wireframes for full vehicles/buildings. And you are correct about VBMP files.
Ah, I meant SKLT files inside BAS files, not those SKL files found in \DATA\Wireless\.

Actually SET.sdf does have a function, unlike visproto.lst. It contains some sector definitions which the game uses and which I'm trying to decode - although very slowly.

The file consists of 3 sections. The first section contains 256 lines which seem to define some models. Here are two examples:

Code: Select all

ETzCITYn.base  skeleton/EToCITYn.sklt 0   1   0   0  ;6

ST_GHTT4.base  skeleton/STcGHTT4.sklt 0   6  50   0  49 100 100 350   81 -90 90 250   81 80 -80 150   81 -50 -50  50   81 40  90 380    81 -90 30 320   81 125 125  20   85  80  80 337 ; 30
Those "base" files are the strange part... Are they combinations of skeleton and texture files or just skeleton files renamed or what?

All lines follow the same format which is filename.base skeleton/filename2.sklt numbers ;comments

The second section contains only some numerical information. It seem to contain less than 256 lines. Here's an example:

52 53 54 55     1       ; 23  gr_slum3

The last section contains 256 (nope, read further) lines which seem to be the actual sector definitions plus an info/comment line at the beginning. Here are the first two lines:

> SektorNUmmer SektorTyp  BodenType Zeichen SubSects[]
 0  0  1   1      0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   ;ST leer

I did some experiments:

Here are the southernmost sectors (including the level borders) of level 3 (Skull Alley) which uses model set 4. In the southeast corner we see sector 25 (hex) which is sector 37 in decimal format.

ff b0 14 b1 27 25 fd 
fb fe fe fe fe fe fa 

Looking at the last section of \SET4\Scripts\SET.sdf. This is the line that defines sector 37 (dec) or sector 25 (hex):

37  0  0  53    69  54  55  34  56  57  63  64  27    ;GR ETAG very leer

Now I replaced this with the line of sector 241 which looks like this:

241  0  3   74   82  82  82  82  81  82  82  82  82   ;MykonierRadar

Start the game, enter Skull Alley and see the Myko radar in the corner sector! Note that the level file was not edited in any way.

link
Last edited by Ormu on Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.
UA community Discord channel: https://discord.gg/7H4dFQH
Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:47 pm

Ok, I think I've found out how the second and third section work. I will write more information after some experiments but here's a result of another test. I changed the ground type of the Myko radar sector. Compare it to the screenshot posted above and you might see the difference.

link

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:10 am

GET OUTTA HERE. I was absolutely positive that those text files were not used, but that is DEFINITELY a mykonian building which I beleive is only available with set 6.

And just a heads up from what I found out, all text files (user.txt etc) are in decimal (not hex) and all compiled files (set.bas) are in hex (obviously).

One thing that stands out about line 241 and 37 is that the numbers are in triplets -- this can potentially mean XYZ coordinates but is also divisible by 2 so it could be just XY coordinates too.

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:07 pm

GoldStar611 wrote:GET OUTTA HERE. I was absolutely positive that those text files were not used, but that is DEFINITELY a mykonian building which I beleive is only available with set 6.

And just a heads up from what I found out, all text files (user.txt etc) are in decimal (not hex) and all compiled files (set.bas) are in hex (obviously).

One thing that stands out about line 241 and 37 is that the numbers are in triplets -- this can potentially mean XYZ coordinates but is also divisible by 2 so it could be just XY coordinates too.
:P

I need more experiments to confirm this but here's some unsure theory anyway.

The comments in the file helped me a lot, especially the first line of the third section which actually tells the format of the section which seems to be like this:

sector number sector type ground type symbol sub-sectors (9x)

-Sector number, should be self-explanatory. 0 is the first and the numbers are in decimal form.

-Sector type: This is probably related to functional buildings (beam gates, power stations etc.) (edit: see the new thread for more info)

-Ground type = The bottom/border ground texture of the sector. These textures are stored in BODEN#.ilbm files inside SET.bas files. Value 0 seems to point to BODEN1.ilbm and so on. (edit: see the new thread for more info) By the way, is there a program that converts VBMP files to ordinary bitmaps? It would help a lot when checking these files.

-Symbol: This might be a map symbol for the sector but I don't know yet. ("Zeichen" is German for "sign" or "symbol"). The map symbols may be stored in certain IFF/ILBM files found in \DATA\FONTS\, just like vehicle icons.

-Sub-sectors: Each sector consists of 9 sub-sectors which are defined in the second section.

The second section is not as clear as the third but the first four numbers of each line seem to point to the models which are defined in the first section. The fifth number seems to be 0 or 1 but I don't know what it's function is.

The first section contains some model definitions. The numbers are probably coordinates and they might define destruction sequencs as some lines contain lots of numbers.

Here's an example which led me to these conclusions (from set 4).

The closed beam gate on sector 3 is defined by this line:

3  1  1   99    14                                   ;ST GATE ohne Straße closed
Sector number = 3

Sector type = 1, ]maybe 1 is for functional sector.

Ground type = 1, [7color=grey]see BODEN0.ilbm for this.[/color]

Symbol = 99, this needs more examining.

This sector contains only one sub-sector which is 14. It points to the 15th line in the second section, note that the first line is 0 (!) and there's also "14" in the comment:

39 39 39 39     1       ; 14  ST GATE ohne Straße (zu)
First four numbers are 39 which points to the 40th line (note 39 in the comment) in the first section. The first line is again 0.

ST_GAT2.base   skeleton/STcGATE.sklt  0  67  50   0  ; 39 TOR ohne Straße
I extracted STcGATE.sklt from SET.bas and opened it in your model viewer and it really is the beam gate.

I will do more experiments when I get back home again, probably next weekend...
Last edited by Ormu on Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:13 pm

Ormu, good job in your examinations! My UA doesn't work (I have to recopy files again from CD) so I cant test anything right now. Hopefully you will be able to uncover the mystery on this file.
By the way, is there a program that converts VBMP files to ordinary bitmaps
Strange I thought I uploaded my VBMP->BMP converter but I guess I did not

Drag and drop ILBM file ontop of EXE to convert it
Attachments
BAGGER.ILBM
test ilbm for application
(64.03 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
uacnv.exe
VBMP->BMP converter for UA
(8.98 KiB) Downloaded 99 times

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:44 am

I did some playing around myself with set.sdf and I found out the 9 sub sections represent buildings on the map.

something like this:
1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:26 pm

GoldStar611 wrote: Strange I thought I uploaded my VBMP->BMP converter but I guess I did not

Drag and drop ILBM file ontop of EXE to convert it
Thanks again, this will help me a lot to play with the textures.
I did some playing around myself with set.sdf and I found out the 9 sub sections represent buildings on the map.

something like this:
1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9
Yep, seems so. The building models for sub-sectors are defined in the first section which is the most difficult part.

It seems that all lines in the first section have at least four numbers. The first number after the model names is always 0, then there are two numbers (coordinates?), the fourth number is almost always 0 (in some lines 1 though) and some lines have more than 4 numbers but they all seem to be in groups of four numbers, like in this example:

ET_HO.base     skeleton/ETcHO.sklt    0   5  50   0  49 93  93 150   81  53  -98 100   81 -103  92  80   81 -70 -80 200   81 -50 -50 300   81  40 40 350   81 -50 40 250   81  50 -40 400 ; 14

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:44 pm

Proof of concept:

link

Have you ever seen a sector with 9 stoudson triggers? ;)

Code: (I replaced sector 37 (dec, or 25 in hex) with this)

37  0  3   74   164  164  164  164  164  164  164  164  164

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:09 pm

lol, NICE!! funny thing is that the triggers are based per sector. You just need to modify the boden_type to match the other ground!

But this does open up the possibility of creating custom sectors given the buildings we have already. I did a few modifications and found that when you put like hills on the level you can drive through them. Weird.

Thomas Fredson
Emperor of the Mykonians (Veteran)
Emperor of the Mykonians (Veteran)

Post by Thomas Fredson » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:37 pm

Is it possible to create a new set for, let's say, an expansion or something similar?
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/MykoniansUB1.png[/img]
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/MykoniansUB2.png[/img]
://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t318/Al-Khabir/UrbanAssaultSig4.gif[/img]

Also administrator of UAFr Board

The Big Mistake album in progress! (ABORTED)