Guide - How to make WINDSGN and SNAP working on Windows 10

For those of us who are curious and like to poke around in the game's data files and scripts as well as glitching. Caters to anything from unit/building stats to level data to telling how to glitch and stories of game errors.
teuzzz
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Guide - How to make WINDSGN and SNAP working on Windows 10

Post by teuzzz » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:07 am

Step 1 - Download & unzip the file below, it's a source copy of UA with the developer tools inside.

Step 2 - On your Windows 10 go on Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows Features on or off -> Checkmark the Legacy Components (DirectPlay).

Step 3 - Open the downloaded folder, right click on WINDSGN.exe - properties on compatibility tab run the program with XP Service Pack 2 compatibility mode and make the resolution at 640 x 480 by checking the available option below the color mode.

Step 4 - Make the same steps for SNAP.exe (you can find the sector screens created by this program on \ENV\SNAPS)

Step 5 - You can now use on windows 10 your new (very old) developer tools, for more informations about the usage of the map editor, pls see the other posts in this forum.

Donwload Link: https://uploadfiles.io/tlz7d

TeuZzZ

Brachy UA FREAK
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Re: Guide - How to make WINDSGN and SNAP working on Windows 10

Post by Brachy UA FREAK » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:38 pm

So with this we can actually use multiplayer?!
GET YOUR HANDS OFF FROM THAT PARASITE!
Or
I LL QUADDA YOU

://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/MykoniansUB1.png
://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd333/pete_kaboom/X01-Quadda.gif

Myko Mod [MID] back alive after long hiatus!

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:29 pm

Are you getting an application error '0xc0000022' when running UA executables on Windows 10? The step 2 method described by TeuZzZ in this thread should be mandatory in order to rectify the problem on Win 10.

Apparently the application error '0xc0000022' that appears when starting Urban Assault is occurred by the inactive DirectPlay legacy components. :? I did not specified the details in my previous post regarding Windows 10, but enabling it was necessary for me to run the original UA on my ultrabook which was upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 several years ago.

On the other hand, I was able to run the original UA on Windows 7 with GeForce GTX 980 back in 2015 without many problems. But it may involve some trial and error to eventually figure out what hardware/graphical settings are required to get it working. There are simply way too many variables to consider when running UA on modern systems.

If possible, I may purchase and attempt to run UA with GTX Titan or GTX 1080 later and report the results, but I do not have time to spend on video games in these days. (Already began my long journey towards a PhD degree after attaining my integrated master’s degree, and I'm away from my home so can't make use of my gaming desktops either... :ninja: )

However, for the other problems including digital artefacts in UA... most symptoms are situational and may dependent upon various individual hardware specifications or several unspecified external factors.
;----------------------------------------------------------
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:58 pm

I don't remember all details but I think Windows asked for a confirmation to install/enable DirectPlay when I tested UA on Windows 8.1 and 10 preview versions. So DirectPlay components are probably not enabled by default in the release version either, and perhaps this automatic enabling doesn't always happen. Manual enabling as instructed by TeuZzZ might be needed indeed.
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.
UA community Discord channel: https://discord.gg/7H4dFQH
Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:36 pm

I would like to add a minor correction to my previous post.

Actually, my ultrabook had no problem at running UA on both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 at the very first time. But presumably after a certain Windows 10 update (it's just a conjecture; and even so I do not remember which one), it suddenly started to display the mentioned application error when running UA. So, for the solution I had to search and manually enable the legacy DirectPlay components, and after that the game started to work normally again.

This was happened about 2 years ago so I do not remember all details about it.

Therefore in my case, I believe the option was enabled by default on my computer at the first time; but for some reason had been altered later so I had to manually re-enable it again. But then, I may have already enabled the legacy DirectPlay components when I first installed Urban Assault on my laptop, so I cannot assure for the general cases.

Personally I'm not very fond of Windows 10; it is quite intrusive and incompatible with many things. In my opinion, I think Windows 7 and Windows XP (although it is not supported anymore) are the best Windows platforms ever made, all things considered.

Additionally if the problem is not the application error, but the generic in-game graphical glitches and display artefacts, checking/unchecking the various in-game options (such as DrawPrimitive) or verifying your graphics card drivers/control centre settings could be helpful.
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!