New sector screenshots (and how to create them yourself)

For those of us who are curious and like to poke around in the game's data files and scripts as well as glitching. Caters to anything from unit/building stats to level data to telling how to glitch and stories of game errors.
Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

New sector screenshots (and how to create them yourself)

Post by Ormu » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:53 pm

Hello all,

As many of you know, the existing sets of sector images have wrong numbers. The good news are that I have created a new set of images. This set should have correct sector numbers, and it also has the numbers in hexadecimal format.

Download:
http://files.metropolisdawn.com/modder- ... es_NEW.zip

Please report if there are any mistakes.

How to create your own images

The prototype package that contains the original source code also contains a sector snapshot tool (snap.exe). (See UA_source thread for links to Hidden Palace.)

To use it, first make sure that there is a folder named "snaps" inside the ENV folder. It might be a good idea to empty the snaps folder before using this tool.

Put the tool into the folder where UA is installed. Then run it from command line:

Code: Select all

snap.exe -X
where X is a level number such as 52 for Hamburger Hill. The tool checks what set is used by that level and renders an image of every sector in that set. The images are saved into \ENV\snaps\ in PCX format when software rendering is used and in PPM format when hardware rendering is used. XnView can open and convert both formats.

The tool uses the same configuration as the game, and it's important to use software rendering mode. In hardware rendering mode, the first screenshot is most likely faulty (it shows a loading screen) and the other sectors have wrong numbers. I think this might be one possible reason why the old sector images have wrong numbers.
Last edited by GoldStar611 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated file location
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.
UA community Discord channel: https://discord.gg/7H4dFQH
Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

MarioSDU6/SDU7
Slime Lord
Slime Lord

Re: New sector screenshots (and how to create them yourself)

Post by MarioSDU6/SDU7 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:24 am

Ormu wrote:Hello all,

As many of you know, the existing sets of sector images have wrong numbers. The good news are that I have created a new set of images. This set should have correct sector numbers, and it also has the numbers in hexadecimal format.

Download: (link will be updated when the file gets moved by GoldStar611)
http://files.metropolisdawn.com/Incomin ... es_NEW.zip

Please report if there are any mistakes.
I was originally going to post before, but I couldn't because my family needed the PC. Anyway, Goldstar already moved the files to the respective place, so each time I open your original link, it shows me this:

Anyway, they are already in place on "modder-tools":

And that's amazing! :D All sectors from vanilla UA have now the correct numbers and have their hex values. Now it should make even easier to mod the terrain (I only mean the terrain, not height, or sector ownership, or building functions such as power stations and that). Charlotte should see your amazing progress, no doubt!
Ormu wrote:How to create your own images

The prototype package that contains the original source code also contains a sector snapshot tool (snap.exe). (See UA_source thread for links to Hidden Palace.)

To use it, first make sure that there is a folder named "snaps" inside the ENV folder. It might be a good idea to empty the snaps folder before using this tool.

Put the tool into the folder where UA is installed. Then run it from command line:

Code: Select all

snap.exe -X
where X is a level number such as 52 for Hamburger Hill. The tool checks what set is used by that level and renders an image of every sector in that set. The images are saved into \ENV\snaps\ in PCX format when software rendering is used and in PPM format when hardware rendering is used. XnView can open and convert both formats.

The tool uses the same configuration as the game, and it's important to use software rendering mode. In hardware rendering mode, the first screenshot is most likely faulty (it shows a loading screen) and the other sectors have wrong numbers. I think this might be one possible reason why the old sector images have wrong numbers.
For those who don't have as much spare time but still like UA: the link of the UA Prototype with the original source code is located on the 3rd page of the UA_source thread. When I found it, I've had to download PowerISO to extract both windsgn.exe and snap.exe from both "Urban Assault Copy and Distribute" bin. and .cue files (both "Urban Assault Copy and Distribute" files do depend on each other, though).

However, I've had to make a batch file (.bat) to make the snap.exe work and extract different sets. One question Ormu, when you extracted the images of the 214 sectors of SET2 with snap.exe, it extracted 215 images? (counting the loading screen) When I used a .bat version to extract all images from SET2 from my Fan-Made 1.2.03, it extracted 256 files, ignoring the last sector (hex ff). Well, I guess that's a limit, but not a big one, what I must do is to edit the SET.BAS and take away 1 sector, then I use snap.exe again, and it properly extracts the last sector remaining. :lol:
Intense Mod progress (it includes tests):
Resistance 100% done
Demo version uncertain fate
New Ghorkov and Taerkasten 100% done

Factions of choice: Resistance, Ghorkovs, Taerkastens

GoldStar611
BlackSect Creator
BlackSect Creator

Post by GoldStar611 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:38 am

Sorry I did move the file without notifying Ormu :) (I have not had any chance to write a proper reply)

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:32 pm

Great discovery, Ormu! I still haven't explored the beta files extensively yet for the time being. But it seems they are indeed a gold mine of unreleased UA resources.

It never ceases to amaze me how TerraTools had managed to produce all these comprehensive and handy tools for UA. In fact, so much that the final version of the game is merely like a tip of the iceberg.

I've been creating my own custom sets from time to time as well, and this sector snapshot tool will be especially beneficial for the tasks - can't wait until I can try it by myself.
;----------------------------------------------------------
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;
;----------------------------------------------------------

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:54 pm

MarioSDU6/SDU7 wrote:
However, I've had to make a batch file (.bat) to make the snap.exe work and extract different sets. One question Ormu, when you extracted the images of the 214 sectors of SET2 with snap.exe, it extracted 215 images? (counting the loading screen) When I used a .bat version to extract all images from SET2 from my Fan-Made 1.2.03, it extracted 256 files, ignoring the last sector (hex ff). Well, I guess that's a limit, but not a big one, what I must do is to edit the SET.BAS and take away 1 sector, then I use snap.exe again, and it properly extracts the last sector remaining. :lol:
Did you use hardware rendering? In hardware rendering mode it erroneously includes the loading screen, shifts the numbers by one and ignores the last sector. Use software rendering instead.

Thanks GoldStar611!

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:22 pm

I created charts of all sectors for every set. Two versions are included, one with existing sectors only and another with non-existing sectors replaced with a placeholder image. Both decimal and hexadecimal numbers are included. Feel free to give feedback.

Credits to Bronsteijn24k for useful feedback.

Download:
http://files.metropolisdawn.com/Incomin ... charts.zip