Questions

For those of us who are curious and like to poke around in the game's data files and scripts as well as glitching. Caters to anything from unit/building stats to level data to telling how to glitch and stories of game errors.
AquaSide
Firefly
Firefly

Re: Questions

Post by AquaSide » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:46 pm

Cool,it worked thanks so much :D .
Btw,are you good at level map designing?
If you are can you tell me how?

MarioSDU6/SDU7
Slime Lord
Slime Lord

Post by MarioSDU6/SDU7 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:15 pm

AquaSide wrote:Cool,it worked thanks so much :D .
Well, on that aspect, it's better if Charlotte answers to you about if he does design level maps. :lol:

But in case you don't know it yet, well, I'm not sure if you have stumbled in all of the links here (Consolidated modding guides):
http://forums.metropolisdawn.com/viewto ... f=23&t=566
Be warned, it's no longer required to read the "Fixing Helicopters by O Y M E" because we already have the UA.exe and UA_xp.exe fixes uploaded by Zidane, so we can use the full vanilla heli files with no issues in all platforms.

But one viable program for modding .ldf (the level files) and .scr (scripts for vehicles, weapons, and sounds) is Notepad++. But since the typ_map and those do use "hex" values, try to also use "BaseConv" (Ormu uploaded it) to decode these hex values (like 0A, 1D, those):
http://files.metropolisdawn.com/persona ... seConv.rar
It's a bit complex, but I'm sure you'll properly make everything work. ;)
Intense Mod progress (it includes tests):
Resistance 100% done
Demo version uncertain fate
New Ghorkov and Taerkasten 100% done

Factions of choice: Resistance, Ghorkovs, Taerkastens

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:43 pm

AquaSide wrote:Cool,it worked thanks so much :D .
I'm glad I was able to help! ;)

Yes, I've been creating my own custom levels for many years now. Sometimes with my own modified custom sets. But normally, I do not share my works with others unless necessary. :P

From my experience of level design, using the text editors like Notepad (preferably Notepad++) are the most simple and effective way of building levels. It was even endorsed by the original developers, who supposedly had their own proprietary 3D in-game editor during the development. The important part is, as Ormu already said, visualising the 3D world in your head while designing.

It can be quite tedious and cumbersome at the first time, but the level designing in its core is an extremely monotonous task that does not require any special knowledge. It's just a matter of time for one to master it. :)

There are many guides written by some people for designing levels, but many of them are unreliable as they seriously lack contents and also contain numerous errors. So I do not recommend them.

Instead here is a concise but comprehensive, semi-official level guide written by Stefan Karau; the lead tester and level designer from TerraTools, that has been translated into English by Dirk Mansbart; another main tester and the AI analyst from TerraTools:
http://files.metropolisdawn.com/modder- ... -level.doc

Also, here is yet another level building guide created by Stefan Karau (it is in German!) that contains more or less same information:
http://www.schwerer-als-luft.de/Bilder/ ... uilder.pdf

For determining the hex values used in map data, it is much simpler to memorise all hex values (there are only 256 after all) first, and later refer to the relevant sectors on each set so you can instantly use the correct numbers for each sector and building in the game. Otherwise the basic Windows calculator or some other base converting tools made by the members here will suffice. :mrgreen:

In any case, if you have any questions about level design please do not hesitate to ask us!

EDIT & PS: Mario, why do you surmise that I am a boy? :P Is it because my hobbies (video games, programming, etc.) or my major university subject (Theoretical Physics) are predominantly a guy's domain? ;) But yes, we all know there are no girls on the internet so we can cordially agree on that pronoun usage.
;----------------------------------------------------------
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!

Ormu
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by Ormu » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:32 am

CharlotteLabyrinth wrote:
AquaSide wrote:Well,the weird thing is that 'levels' doesnt work.
Hmm, then it must be a part of Metropolis Dawn specific function. I should have expected it earlier because I was testing all of these with UA:Source (which supports Metropolis Dawn expansion) until now. So this time I have tested it again on the original UA, and the function is confirmed to be not working with the original UA.exe. :(

In this case, you should make a copy of 'Ua_xp.exe', rename it to 'UA.exe' and then replace it with the normal executable you were using for the mod. Ua_xp.exe is basically an enhanced version of UA.exe, so there should be no problem with overwriting it.
As far as I remember, it only works with UA_xp.exe... but I'm not completely sure. Maybe I should try. :P Also, as far as I remember you can define more than one level there, e.g. "1 25 26" (without quote marks) as in the original campaign.

About the maximum number of levels: I think Mario found a limit of 127 for multiplayer levels or something? Is it so, and does it apply for single player levels too?

For level editing help, also see this. It was mostly written by me to collect all level modding information into one place.
http://www.metropolisdawn.com/wiki/modding:ldf_file

edit: This article should be created too :P
http://www.metropolisdawn.com/wiki/modding:level_mask
Matthew Lever wrote:Take out Ormus as soon as you see them.
UA community Discord channel: https://discord.gg/7H4dFQH
Not all Ormus are mine. When in doubt, please ask...

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:17 pm

Ormu wrote:As far as I remember, it only works with UA_xp.exe... but I'm not completely sure. Maybe I should try. :P Also, as far as I remember you can define more than one level there, e.g. "1 25 26" (without quote marks) as in the original campaign.
I didn't knew that you could enable multiple levels in that way! Thanks for the information. :D Yes, it does not work with the original executable so replacing an UA.exe with a renamed Ua_xp.exe can do the trick.

Ormu wrote:About the maximum number of levels: I think Mario found a limit of 127 for multiplayer levels or something? Is it so, and does it apply for single player levels too?
Hmm... actually, I haven't really considered it before. The singleplayer levels end with L7979 (Parasite Dome) and starting from L8080 are multiplayer levels. I believe there is a maximum number limit for multiplayer levels, but I'm not entirely sure if such restriction is also present for singleplayer levels in the game; which are separated from the multiplayer interface and also strictly depend on a mask file to be active.

It shouldn't be hard to figure out, but will definitely involve some additional works with the mask file and level files. :P

Ormu wrote:For level editing help, also see this. It was mostly written by me to collect all level modding information into one place.
http://www.metropolisdawn.com/wiki/modding:ldf_file

edit: This article should be created too :P
http://www.metropolisdawn.com/wiki/modding:level_mask
Oh, and I totally forgot to have a look into our wiki before. I read it, and I highly recommend this page on the wiki too! :mrgreen:
;
;

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!

AquaSide
Firefly
Firefly

Post by AquaSide » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:21 am

Hey,does anyone know which file contains the missionbriefing vehicle icons coordinates?
I know that there is a file which is called H_MB.
Also,does anyone know why my UA crashes when i try to create a new weapon?

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:48 pm

AquaSide wrote:Hey,does anyone know which file contains the missionbriefing vehicle icons coordinates?
I know that there is a file which is called H_MB.
Also,does anyone know why my UA crashes when i try to create a new weapon?
By mission briefing vehicle icons, are you referring to those triangle icons that appear on the mission briefing maps which represent units? I haven't played around with icons for many years, but I vaguely recall that they were likely hard-coded so it may not be easy to change them. But I could be totally wrong, right now I'm a little busy so I will check them once again and report later. :oops:

About creating new weapons, there are simply too many variables that could be contributing to the crash. Would you mind uploading your weapon data so others could have a look at it? In the meantime, please copy everything inside your 'ypa_log.txt' that is stored in ENV folder and post them here. The file may be containing something helpful for finding out the direct cause of the crashes.

EDIT: Oh, silly me... :ninja: yes, the H_MB.ilb file in DATA\SET46 contains the icons used for mission briefing map elements. I have tried to edit them by myself and the modified icons came out fine on mission briefing maps. Unlike unit icons, these files use hard-coded routines for loading the icons so it should be not easy (and normally not necessary) to find or change the actual coordinates used.
;
;

AquaSide
Firefly
Firefly

Post by AquaSide » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:09 pm

Well,nevermind i fixed it.
I got no questions right now :D.

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:03 pm

It's great to hear that! I hope they were somewhat helpful and should you require further assistance please let us know!
;
;

AquaSide
Firefly
Firefly

Post by AquaSide » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:28 pm

Hey guys,i got a new question.
How can i edit the vehicle icons for the tutorial hoststation in the minimap (compass)
I mean by that how can i make heli,tanks,planes,scout icons for it like the other host stations.