Questions

For those of us who are curious and like to poke around in the game's data files and scripts as well as glitching. Caters to anything from unit/building stats to level data to telling how to glitch and stories of game errors.
AquaSide
Firefly
Firefly

Re: Questions

Post by AquaSide » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:22 am

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:54 pm

Was the result successful? :P

The exported palette data (.pal format) will also preserve the order of indices for all colours, so as long as the modified mask file uses the identical colour set as the original mask file, changing the palette alone should fix the problem.

Also, the Ultimate Paint can be used for both editing and saving .iff files once the appropriate palette data is loaded. However, loading the external palette files must be done manually as I mentioned before.
;----------------------------------------------------------
;
; Vielleicht der niedlichste Hubi, Knuddel.
;

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!

AquaSide
Firefly
Firefly

Post by AquaSide » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:06 pm

Well,it worked but still all the levels aren't displayed.
The problem is in the index..
Do you know how can i change index places?
I discovered that we are able to make about 255 level too is that true? :o

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:08 pm

AquaSide wrote:Well,it worked but still all the levels aren't displayed.
The problem is in the index..
Do you know how can i change index places?
I discovered that we are able to make about 255 level too is that true? :o
I have figured it out; it seems my crude method suggestion of altering the palette was not very elegant... :ninja:

At the first attempt, the colour indices are partially fixed up to the maximum range of the valid colours available from the 'wrong' palette. But beyond that number the colour placements seem to become very inaccurate and incoherent, as there are no indicative factors to allocate the right colours in the right places.

The palette alteration of your mask file was caused by saving via Ultimate Paint with its own default palette loaded at the first time, and when the saved mask file is opened with XnView the colour palette is reorganised with the valid colours (the colours that are used in the file) in a completely randomised order. It is because the palette formats between these two programs, while share the same extension, are incompatible to each other.

Without going into more detail, I will just write the simplest solution. :arrow:
Please repeat this process once again with your current modified MASKE.iff file:
CharlotteLabyrinth wrote:While at your modified MASKE.iff file, press Ctrl+A and then Ctrl+C to temporarily copy the current image data of your modded mask file. Next, press Ctrl+M again to bring up the palette of your modified MASKE.iff file (it should be in the 'wrong' palette) and then click 'Load' button to load the palette data that you have just saved from the vanilla MASKE.iff file before, and press 'OK' button.

You will immediately notice that the colours are completely distorted! But stay calm, and simply press Ctrl+V to paste the previously copied image data. This will restore all the colours back to its normal status, while the palette has been fixed now. Finally, press Ctrl+S to save the image data, and then try this new MASKE.iff for the game to see if all the levels are now displayed correctly.
With the second attempt, it should be at least able to fix up to L7575, but the Demo and Debug levels (L9898 & L9999) may still remain out of scope. It is also highly recommended to compare the modified palette with the palette from the original mask file.

About the level limits, yes, technically UA should be able to support up to maximum 255 levels given that the colour palette has a size of 256 colours (8-bit; the first index is 0 and used for the empty background). ;)

At any moment, uploading your full MASKE.iff file is very much appreciated.
;
;

Personal Declaration: I always use different usernames across different websites. Hence if you ever see my username is being used outside of Stoudson Corporation, I absolutely have no affiliation whatsoever with that!

AquaSide
Firefly
Firefly

Post by AquaSide » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:17 am

Well,I changed all levels numbers, i renamed them from 1 to 41 and i used the old palette and when i opened UA , all the levels appeared :D.
But,in UA why when we make a new profile the default starting levels are always the same?
Is there a profile which lets me make change the default starting levels?
I also changed the level names in LANGUAGE.DLL so i can order the levels easily.

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:28 am

AquaSide wrote:Well,I changed all levels numbers, i renamed them from 1 to 41 and i used the old palette and when i opened UA , all the levels appeared :D.
But,in UA why when we make a new profile the default starting levels are always the same?
Is there a profile which lets me make change the default starting levels?
I also changed the level names in LANGUAGE.DLL so i can order the levels easily.
It is great to hear that you have sorted out the issue in your own way. :D

Yes, simply embracing the old modified palette and rearranging the level file structures to match with it is one way of doing it. Just always be sure to make every level file corresponds to your current palette colour indices.

To assign a new default starting level, go to your 'ENV' folder in your Urban Assault directory and create a new text document file 'levels.def' (the .def should be a format of the file). Then, just put a number of the new starting level you want to be in the game.

For example, if you want to make L1515.ldf to be your new starting level, simply type the number '15' in it without quotations and save the file. Metropolis Dawn expansion uses this parameter for assigning the starting levels for each campaign as well.
;
;

AquaSide
Firefly
Firefly

Post by AquaSide » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:39 pm

Do you know any idea about how to disable L2525 and L2626?

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:14 pm

AquaSide wrote:Do you know any idea about how to disable L2525 and L2626?
Using levels.def will also disable L2525 and L2626. Only a single specified level in the definition file will be active.
;
;

AquaSide
Firefly
Firefly

Post by AquaSide » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:33 pm

Well,the weird thing is that 'levels' doesnt work.

CharlotteLabyrinth
Turantul 1 (Veteran)
Turantul 1 (Veteran)

Post by CharlotteLabyrinth » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:18 pm

AquaSide wrote:Well,the weird thing is that 'levels' doesnt work.
Hmm, then it must be a part of Metropolis Dawn specific function. I should have expected it earlier because I was testing all of these with UA:Source (which supports Metropolis Dawn expansion) until now. So this time I have tested it again on the original UA, and the function is confirmed to be not working with the original UA.exe. :(

In this case, you should make a copy of 'Ua_xp.exe', rename it to 'UA.exe' and then replace it with the normal executable you were using for the mod. Ua_xp.exe is basically an enhanced version of UA.exe, so there should be no problem with overwriting it.
;
;